mainecheesehead 02-Feb-17
Chief 419 03-Feb-17
IdyllwildArcher 03-Feb-17
Nimrod 04-Feb-17
Quinn @work 05-Feb-17
Woods Walker 05-Feb-17
320 bull 06-Feb-17
01-Feb-17
Like you elk guys! I have a lot of king mackerel I caught and it is a little fishy lets here some good ideas on how to prepare it. Healthier is better - deep frying is out:)

01-Feb-17
It is very good smoked I would never cook frozen kings been catching and messing with them for over 40 yrs.We live in So.Fl. almost half of a yr. Good luck Lewis

01-Feb-17
Cut in 2" chunks, soak in ice cubed water for an hour or so, season with olive oil, a little salt, minced garlic, and fresh squeezed lemon juice, cook on a hot grill for about 5 minutes on an olive oil greased piece of heavy foil.

Enjoy!

01-Feb-17
If you soak them (or any somewhat oily fish) in milk for an hour, then rinse with cool water, the milk will draw a lot of the fishy taste out. I do that with all frozen fish now and it's a game changer.

01-Feb-17
Thanks! Lewis so you are saying when they were frozen you will only smoke right? I have heard the milk trick will try it for sure! Thanks and keep the ideas coming!

PS Cobia raw at the dock was the best seafood I have ever eaten!

01-Feb-17
Interesting on the soak in milk. Going to have to try that. Heading to the keys with my own boat for the first time in March and I hope to be able to test it out. Kings look like a blast to catch

01-Feb-17
I just never liked frozen kings anyway but smoked but I admit I am spoiled we had grouper snapper hogfish porgies tripletail snook and trout to choose from.My wife makes a smoked fish spread that is always a crowd pleaser.I second you on the cobia I always knew I was in for it when my wife would meet me at our cleaning table after a cobia catch with a mixed drink and a bottle of soy sauce good luck Lewis

01-Feb-17
Marinate in soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, brown sugar, basil, oregano and chili powder. Cook on grill.

01-Feb-17
attach to a hook, cast out line and use to catch an edible fish.

never found good recipe for mackerel

01-Feb-17
I never could find a way to stomach mackerel. Never tried the milk soak though. Give it a try and I hope it's successful.

01-Feb-17
haha! 320 bull I am in Key West first few days of March, will you be around?

01-Feb-17
Don I am due in on the 11th i believe. We are staying on Key largo so we will likely fish there at least to start with. If you are still around or passing through your welcome to hitch a ride and bend a pole.

01-Feb-17
Leo17 x 2! Fun to catch but terrible to eat

01-Feb-17
I will be gone by then flying out on the 4th. Ah well. Beautiful area, have you been to the keys?

01-Feb-17
Are you guys sure you are talking about king mackeral and not spanish mackeral? King mackeral splashed with olive oil and placed on a charcoal grill is awesome. I cut them just like 3/4 inch steaks and either use lemon juice or worcestor sauce on it. No fish compares to red drum tho.

01-Feb-17
Hey all I'm in HomesteadFl until April catch a bunch of a fish good luck Lewis

02-Feb-17
Bleed and chill immediately upon catching. Eat them fresh or get them deep frozen asap. Far and away those are the most important for any fish, but particularly fattier fish caught in winter can start going rancid in as little as 12 hours even at refrigerator temps. Once they go rancid all they're good for is cut bait. Frozen they'll get a little mushier. Excellent smoked or grilled served simply with a nice bright/acidic/herbal sauce and a hoppy beer.

02-Feb-17
Don I have not, first trip. Like I mentioned we are taking a boat, 18ft Ranger Reata and also hiring Brian Cone for a day on the Contagious out of Islamorada. Have been doing a ton of research and collecting tackle so I feel like I have done my homework. Hoping we have some good weather and we can get out to the edge of the reef or a wreck with my boat at least a few times. Otherwise we will be fishing shallow for Mangroves and sharks or whatever else we can find to bend a rod. I am pretty excited. I have had to stay close to home for family health issues and have not been on vacation in over a year. I even missed elk last fall for the second time in 20 years so I am ready for a getaway!!

02-Feb-17
I soak mine for 2-4 hours in a gallon size ziplock bag with whole milk and a 1/2 cup orange juice, and minced garlic. Pull it out of the fridge and rinse with cold water, pat dry with a paper towel and prepare any way you wish. I've never had fishy taste. Even works with bluefish.

02-Feb-17

DonVathome's embedded Photo
DonVathome's embedded Photo
The milk trick worked! Night and day from when I did not do it! THANKS!

320bull have fun gorgeous area, just the drive through the keys is amazing and everyone should do it once! Lots of good fishing I think, keep your ears open for giant rays (no idea if they are in that area). In August I was fishing out of Cape Canaveral and they were there midday feeding. Most had 1-8 cobia around them and you just sight casted FUN - by far the funnest fishing I have ever had and best eating fish ever.

02-Feb-17
can it like you would venison - grew up on it - tastes like tuna

03-Feb-17
My advice is to feed the king mackeral to the neighborhood cats. One of the worst eating fish in the ocean. JMHO.

03-Feb-17
Gill/gut them. Cut out the fillets and eat them raw with soy sauce and wasabi. Corn meal batter what is left, deep fry it, and eat it like potato chips.

04-Feb-17
I had an old buddy and a new acquaintance down from Alabama to tarpon fish with me. I told them I was grilling fresh king mackerel steaks for supper. My new acquaintance replied what are we having tomorrow night, freezer burned venison. Turns out he used to tend bar in Gulf Shores. He knew the score and we became great friends.

05-Feb-17
If they'll survive being released, release them. If they won't cut them in chunks and use them for crab trap bait. They're fun to catch but I'll never eat another one.

05-Feb-17
Chum.

06-Feb-17
Thanks for the tip Don, looks as though your enjoying yourself.

• Sitka Gear