Mossyhorn 03-Feb-17
wyobullshooter 03-Feb-17
Mule Power 03-Feb-17
wyobullshooter 03-Feb-17
WapitiBob 03-Feb-17
YZF-88 03-Feb-17
01-Feb-17
Here we go again....

New legislation heading thru the process, takes affect Jan 2018 if they pass...

Fee increase again, about 3% for resident and 20% for us rich NR.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2017/Introduced/HB0288.pdf

And up again, the 60/40 Special/Regular swap a roo..

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2017/Introduced/HB0278.pdf

01-Feb-17
Was this or something similar proposed in the past?

01-Feb-17
yep, same stuff different session.

01-Feb-17
Yep

01-Feb-17

standswittaknife's Link
It was proposed and failed in the past. These far right wingers that keep attempting this could ruin our hunting future. Stay on top of this. This could solely turn me into a democrat...

01-Feb-17
20% hike would be pretty rough, but I'd still sadly pay it...

01-Feb-17
Yikes! Not again.

01-Feb-17
To me, the 60/40 swap would really be a kick in the groin to the average non-resident by putting 60% of the tags in the more expensive "Special" pool and only 40% at the "Regular" price. Currently, it is 60% of the tags go to the lower priced Regular pool and 40% to the higher priced (much higher price) Special pool.

I always apply in the Special pool, but I still think it is a bad idea. We need more people experiencing western hunting on our public lands, not less, and reducing the tags in the Regular pool does just that.

I was opposed to making that change when it came up in the last Wyoming Legislative session. As a non-resident I provided comment that it not be changed and the majority of tags be kept at the Regular price. Evidently, the Wyoming Legislature has a problem keeping emails as private documents. They forwarded my email to the Wyoming Outfitter and Guides Association who then came after me and my position on the Board of Directors of a national hunting organization.

I guess it is too much to expect some of these elected officials to operate with any sort of discretion. Regardless, I will again provide my comments against the idea.

If the notion is to raise money, raise it on folks like me, and others who apply in the Special pool. Personally, I suspect the motive is less about raising money and more about increasing the tags available to those inclined to hire help.

Just another example of how politicians can screw up most anything when it comes to hunting, fishing, and public access.

01-Feb-17
Those increases are ludicrous. Right now I'll pay the special price to hunt every year. But I won't continue to do that at those prices. I'll go to Montana...

01-Feb-17
Nonresident with 2 PP will cost $955.00 to hunt in 2019. - not sure if I have this right but here goes ............

So with 2 PP @ 75 each ($150) - (that's what it has been taking for me to draw.) Elk tag ($690.00) Archery License ($70.00 – that is NOT 20%, but that is what they listed as the increase for this license – [20% should be $34.00]) Conservation stamp ($15.00 – if 20% increase rounded off to the nearest 1 dollar) Management permit - where we hunt we have to pay a "feed area" permit ($15.00 – same as above) Total for 2019 $940.00 to hunt elk Oh, I just went back and read .... nonresident application fee will be $15.00 $955.00.

Pretty damn close to MT

01-Feb-17
I can afford an increase as a non-resident but it just aint fair to the average joe out there.

01-Feb-17
Those A@#$%&% are always trying to find a way to dig in our pockets. I always said I would pay too. But it has to stop, or at least slow down quite a bit. I will find other states to hunt or I guess Ill be done going to Wyoming.

01-Feb-17
Publicly managed big game animals should be financial available to everyone. pricing them out of reach of some hunters is a disgrace.

01-Feb-17
Glad I decided to burn my points this year.

01-Feb-17
Folks, honestly the price increase should, though I understand why they piss people off, be the least of your worries. It's the public land transfer I'm referring to that will ruin our entire hunting opportunities.

01-Feb-17
Big Fin, well spoken. The part where we need more people experiencing western hunting not less is problematic. Wy sells almost every tag it has every year. I don't think the 60/40 split will change that. I live in Wy and some of the leftover tags they sell are awful....poor access,low success rates,limited public land. The point is people will still pay the money. Having more tags in the special will not change that.

01-Feb-17
"Pretty damn close to MT"

Except you don't have to wait three years to draw...you can hunt every year. AND you get a deer tag with that!

"Folks, honestly the price increase should, though I understand why they piss people off, be the least of your worries. It's the public land transfer I'm referring to that will ruin our entire hunting opportunities."

WGFD should be greatly concerned about it. Who's going to buy all their tags when people can't find a place to hunt?

01-Feb-17
Big Fin wrote: "Personally, I suspect the motive is less about raising money and more about increasing the tags available to those inclined to hire help. "

And he's right. But I think there's more to it. "Those inclined to hire help" are also "those inclined to hire politicians".

I have a rule. When trying to understand why politicians do what they do, it always comes down to GRAFT.

Occam's Razor for politicians.

02-Feb-17
BUMMER!!

Thanks for the heads-up and links W-Bob.

Well stated Big Fin----->

I didn't see anything about the Leftover tags being draw this summer or did I over read that?

Good luck, Robb

02-Feb-17
I'm not disputing the statement but do more Special draw hunters hire guides/outfitters?

02-Feb-17
Once I burn points on a general tag in 2018, Wyoming will have seen the last of my dollars. It will always be a supply and demand game and if you want to hunt destination status big game, you have to be prepared to pay. But to have two separate pools and a growing outfitter welfare system goes beyond economics into the realm of greasy extortion.

Just want to say thanks, Randy, for continuing to fight for the Average Joe when it comes to these matters. A lot of guys of your stature in the hunting community would not and do not do the same.

02-Feb-17
So what are you going to do elk yinzer, sit at home? FYI Wyoming is about as good as it gets for license fees in case you haven't priced the other states lately. There has also not been a fee increase in at least 7 or 8 years, so one now is to just make up for inflation. I will say that a couple of the increases like Bison are absolutely ridiculous, but most are just to catch up with inflation since the last increase in about 2008.

02-Feb-17
I didn't see anything about the Leftover tags being draw this summer or did I over read that? Good luck, Robb

The second draw for what is left after the initial draw that you're talking about isn't in a Bill in the Legislature. The G&F Commission can do that on it's own since it's just a simple method of allotting the same amount of tags a different way to make it equitable for everyone.

02-Feb-17
Here's what I come up with for tag/license fees to hunt elk in the West.

Colorado - $640 Idaho - $570 Montana - $873 OR $1025 if you throw in a deer tag New Mexico - $843 Oregon - $710 Washington - $497 Wyoming (CURRENT PRICE) - $632 Regular and $1113 Special

The new Regular price was $955, quoted by a poster above. What's the new special price?

02-Feb-17
One of the devil in the details with the 60/40 split reallocation is the special draw tags are not eligible for youth discounted pricing. Essentially, it is taking away a third of the tags available for youth pricing. I'm not okay with that. I just emailed every member of the House and Senate committees and told them as much.

These prices right now are draft. If you have concerns you should be writing to the legislative committee and let them know. If your money will now go to Colorado, tell them so.

02-Feb-17
Big Fin, thanks for all the work that you do regarding these issues. I am more concerned for my kids and grandkids in the long term. I can support them by paying their nr fees for them now but at some point they will be phased out if the nr fees continue to mount. WapitiBob, thanks for the post...........badbull

03-Feb-17
I feel guilty because I'm probably part of the problem. I'm an elk junkie and I love Wyoming so no matter what they charge I will pay it and if they sucker me into the higher prices fee for the Special draw so I know I can get a tag I'll be shelling that out too as I always have.

What makes me nervous is the sky seems to be the limit. Remember when Montana was getting $1500 for outfitter sponsored tags? Insane prices AND outfitter bias! Yikes! But they got hooked on NR money and now look. They can't even sell their licenses. Montana has always had a few things to learn from WY but I think the Cowboy state should look around too. Everyone has a breaking point. There are people who say Wyoming will never see another dollar of their money. But for every one of those there are at least 1 if not 2 new elk hunters going there as well as ones migrating there from other states. I think things will get much worse before they get better if they ever do. Sigh......... I was born 100 years too late.

03-Feb-17
Why would the outfitters want a nr price increase? I am sure most of their clients are NR so if their tag goes up maybe they can no longer afford an outfitted hunt. I would think they would want the NR tags to stay low and raise the residents because they are not their clients, of course their own tag goes up.

My Wyoming resident friend said the 20% price increase for a NR is ridiculous and he told me they should be increasing residents. I am sure most NR agree with that and most residents disagree. We all need to pay our fair share.

03-Feb-17
My buddy went on his first elk hunt two years ago. He went guided and shot a nice 6x6 in the wilderness of western WY.

Last year he went guided again and shot a medium sized bull.

This year he decided that he wanted to go badly but that guided hunting costs too much in WY. He's still paying the credit card bill from last year and his wife is understandably upset. He didn't apply to WY because it's not friendly to nonresidents without a guide and he can't afford to go guided this year.

Here is a perfect example of how WY's outfitters got his money two years in a row and now he won't even buy a license on the third year. So the game and fish department is losing a license sale now and in the future. He's looking into other states.

Like many here, I'm an elk junkie. I'm hunting WY for the first time this year by using too many points and getting a general tag at the regular price. Only time will tell if I return to WY.

03-Feb-17
A 20% increase is not really that bad when you figure that the fees haven't been increased in ten years! The G&F has to live with inflation just like the rest of us and they fall back on the NRs to pay the big chunk of the pie just like all the other states do. I will say that several of the fees are way too much when you look at the change for Bison as an example. The price is already 4 digits and the price would more than double if that Bill goes through. They are also doubling the archery permit fee which is now $35. IMHO they should have a straight % increase across the board and the resident fees should go up more than a dollar or two per license for cripes sake! My resident buddy can buy a deer, antelope, and an elk license and it costs him way less in total than my one NR deer tag!

03-Feb-17
If they raised prices gradually, in small increments, people wouldn't say much. These huge increases all at once are too much.

I was telling my wife I was going to apply for Wyoming this year, third year in a row... she asked how much. Hesitantly I said, $1100, she about choked! Not sure I'm gonna have much luck convincing her on $1500 or whatever the new special price is...

03-Feb-17
Wyoming hasn't raised license fees for nearly a decade, yet G&F's budget continues to be cut. They just lost another $4.9 million out of the general funds. The Wyo legislature has already identified 5 areas for more cuts: sage grouse management, aquatic invasive species, veterinary services for wildlife diseases such as brucellosis and chronic wasting disease, wolf management and wolf damage payments and sensitive species.

Wyoming's caught between a rock and a hard place. It's primary revenue producer is energy. With oil prices low, and coal production reduced to historic lows, the economy is in dire straights. Budgets have been slashed in education, infrastructure, etc. No excuses, but the state's in bad shape and they are clutching at straws to keep afloat. The legislature is doing everything it can to generate revenue. Right now, the demand for NR licenses is high, so naturally they can drive up the cost. Once the demand declines, then they'll have to reassess cost vs demand at that time.

I understand the frustration, but I'll say exactly what most residents think...you (NR) don't have to deal with the cold, the wind, the isolation, or the relatively low wages. About the only perk we (res) get is the hunting and fishing. If you don't want to live here, then there's not going to be much of a sympathetic ear when NR's have to pay to play here.

03-Feb-17
Wyo I can't and wouldn't argue with any of that for a second. I have friends living there and they pay the price. I'm glad they get to reap the benefits. More power to you folks living out there.

They might want to consider raising a few bucks selling wolf pelts though. ;-)

Elkstabber I would have to disagree with the statement about Wyoming being unfriendly to no residents without a guide. I'll assume that comment stems from the wilderness restriction but damn man there is plenty of great hunting in non wilderness areas. Tons! And I think they've done a better job managing their game than some states have. The cup is half full buddy! Good luck this year.

03-Feb-17
MP, I'll second that wolf pelt proposal!!!! I'll also second your comment on the wilderness restriction. I've killed lots of elk, including some really nice bulls, and I've yet to set foot into a wilderness area.

If they raised the res elk license to $300, I'd pay without a moments hesitation...more if that's what it comes to. That said, it would be nice if we were confident the money was going to the benefit of the wildlife rather than new offices.

03-Feb-17
60/40 died today. Wyoming Outfitters association was behind the Bill and went to 50/50 after it failed the first time. That was swiftly kicked to the curb as well.

03-Feb-17
That's great news. Catching up to point creep is hard enough for those of us that won't fork out the cash for the $pecial tag. the 60/40 rule would've made it even harder.

• Sitka Gear