Duke 02-Feb-17
PECO 02-Feb-17
PECO 02-Feb-17
backwoods54 02-Feb-17
txhunter58 02-Feb-17
Buglmin 02-Feb-17
backwoods54 02-Feb-17
02-Feb-17
I have an opportunity to hunt this area. Any feedback on this surrounding area? Just looking for an overview of the hunting opportunities, type of terrain, can I expect crowds of people as it is near a major city? Not looking for one release any hot spots or secrets. sincerely

02-Feb-17
I've hunted there in the past. There was some pressure, but not what I would call a lot. The altitude was pretty substantial, however the terrain was pretty easy to maneuver for the most part until a storm came through and knocked a bunch of trees down on day 2 of the hunt. There was ok sign there, but I was not overly impressed with the numbers/sign and did not get into them by any means. Ended up shooting a small satellite bull and had a very memorable hunt though...

I will not hunt that particular area again as it's just too far of a drive for me and there's better locations closer IMO.

02-Feb-17
I've been to Silverton via steam engine from Durango. Huge, steep mountains. I talked to a local bowhunter, he told me hunting is not as tough as the mountains make it look. He said you just have to learn your way around to use roads to get to the elevation the elk are at, and lots of sidehilling it from there.

02-Feb-17
I've been to Silverton via steam engine from Durango. Huge, steep mountains. I talked to a local bowhunter, he told me hunting is not as tough as the mountains make it look. He said you just have to learn your way around to use roads to get to the elevation the elk are at, and lots of sidehilling it from there.

02-Feb-17
thanks, thus far, I'm 63 and have been asked to hunt there with some friends and I need to be concerned of the average terrain .Responses thus far indicate I can do it. I've done one solo trip in 2013 near Walden,co This was a learning to hunt only trip. I'm looking to expand off of what I did in 2013

02-Feb-17
As with all elk hunts, you have to GO until you find where they are. And Silverton has some great/beautiful, but it is very steep, and sooner or later, you can't just sidehill. So to be successful in that area, you need to be able to go over the hill and back. No, there are no big towns close, which is why I like to like the area. If you are looking for a hunt that won't challenge you physically, this is not the area.

02-Feb-17
Country is very steep and rugged. You'll be hunting a lot of avalanche chutes. Some areas get hunted harder then others, cause that's where the elk are. Its a great place when the bulls are bugling, but at times, tough to get to them. I like hunting it, but can only do a few days till the country wears me out.

02-Feb-17
thanks for the updates. Looking at google maps, I had the same thoughts, but it is always to consult someone who been there.

• Sitka Gear