Bowfreak 02-Feb-17
Charlie Rehor 02-Feb-17
LKH 02-Feb-17
Nick Muche 02-Feb-17
Charlie Rehor 02-Feb-17
Scoot 03-Feb-17
HUNT MAN 03-Feb-17
02-Feb-17
I've searched back through the old antelope scoring threads and gleaned a lot of good info. However, I'm still confused about a few things (which shouldn't surprise anyone). I do know I should be looking carefully at three things when I field judge an antelope: horn length, prong length, and mass (and mass is king). The ears of an adult antelope are supposed to be about 6" long and that's a good reference. Also, the eye is about 2" in diameter- also helpful. I'd like to give a couple examples and I'm curious to hear what the 'lope experts tell me these examples might score. I think the examples will provide enough info for antelope gurus to offer very rough estimates of what these types of antelopes would score (I think!) If we're really lucky some people may have pictures that are similar to the descriptions, and that would be helpful too.

I realize the answer will be "it depends", but I'm looking for rough estimates here. Also, just as a disclaimer- I'm a 'lope newbie and not trying to pretend to know squat here, so go easy on me!

Antelope #1 Horn Length: horns are 2x the length of ears. Prong length: the prong protrudes 2" from the front of the horn. Mass: Mass is as thick as the diameter of the eye of the antelope.

What does this antelope score???

Antelope #2 Horn Length: horns are 2 1/2x the length of ears. Prong length: the prong protrudes 3" from the front of the horn. Mass: Mass is as thick as the widest part of the antelope's ear.

What does this antelope score?

02-Feb-17
I'm no expert but it really depends on where the D-3 measurement falls, above or below the prong. If the D-3 falls below the prong you get a much higher scoring goat.

Put that in your measuring scenario above and you'll get more accurate guestimates.

02-Feb-17
Scoot,

I can't give you details as to what to look for on a good scoring goat but I can tell you that you will know it when you see it. I know that's what you really aren't asking but when you see a good buck, you will know it.

I'm pretty sure I know where you will be hunting and if it is dry you will see a bunch of bucks and you will know when to shoot.

Also...Don't overlook the coolness factor as being a reason to shoot. Antelope are so unique and some will just trip your trigger.

02-Feb-17

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Four lopes, two male book and two don't.
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Four lopes, two male book and two don't.
The d3 measurement on a P&Y antelope MUST be above the prong. B&C measured antelope can be below if warranted by Horn length.

I believe field judging antelope is very hard. I am no expert on field judging but have attached a picture of four Lopes I've shot. Two make P&Y book (67) and two don't. Care to guess which two make it?

02-Feb-17
not possible without profile view. Even then it would be nice to have an ear.

A big hint when judging mass is where does the front of the horn end in relation to the eye. If far fwd, greater mass.

02-Feb-17
2 & 4 make it. Nice lopes C!

02-Feb-17
Nick is correct! When I shot each one I thought each would make it:)

03-Feb-17
Thanks for the replies so far. At this point I'm hoping there are still enough antelope to hunt in the area we're planning on! This winter might do one heck of a number of them. I saw how that can play out in Western ND in 2009 and 2010 and it's pretty amazing how it can wipe out the antelope: we went from seeing many, many hundreds each day to seeing 2-3 for a week. Amazing!

Good info above. I know more bowsiters have additional wisdom to offer here, so I'd love to hear more...

03-Feb-17

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
Here is my top 5 lopes! Mass is key ! The best one in the middle is only 14 long . But great mass above and below the prong! Good luck! Numbers have been down in Montana since 2011! After this winter who knows!! Best of luck ! Hunt

• Sitka Gear