WV Mountaineer 06-Feb-17
Wood 06-Feb-17
bill v 07-Feb-17
elkstabber 08-Feb-17
Lost Arra 09-Feb-17
Medicinemann 09-Feb-17
t-roy 09-Feb-17
02-Feb-17
I don't normally use strap on stands. But I have one and would to be able to use it when needed.

But I don't have any step on steps or ladders. What do folks like? I see that some are $15 per section and others are $60. Are the more expensive ones worth it?

02-Feb-17
I've tried several (not all) and really like the Lone Wolf steps. Worth the extra cash in my opinion. Safety is priceless and I've had a few close calls with cheap steps.

02-Feb-17

TD's Link
When I use a "stand" it's a tree saddle. If we can't prep a tree and put lag bolts to climb or just testing a spot I like the lone wolf sticks to get up there quick. For a "platform" we just got some of these Wild Edge steps a couple months ago..... two or three at the top make a GREAT platform for a saddle. They really are good solid steps once you get the hang of tying them on. Took some practice but can do it in the near dark now.

02-Feb-17
The Lone Wolf steps are worth it. I haven't tried a lot of the other ones, but the LW are worth the cash.

I do have 12 or 15 sections of different types of Rapid Rails. They're handy, but not nearly as handy as the Lone Wolf steps. They're bulkier, harder to get around bigger trees, louder, heavier, etc. They work great if you don't have to carry far, or are setting up in advance of the hunt. Not so great if you have to carry a ways, or set up the same time as hunting.

There's some new steps that are low profile like the Lone Wolf that look interesting. Seems like Muddy makes some. Maybe Big Game stands? Haven't tried those yet.

02-Feb-17
I love my Lone wolf climbing sticks

03-Feb-17
Wow, TD. The Wild Edge steps look very interesting: light, can fit any tree, simple, flexible.

The price seems a little high but other than that.

Do many folks use them?

03-Feb-17
LW sticks for me as well. TD's look like a PIA and I want simple. I use my LW sticks with a Chippewa wedge loc stand and really like the set up. Scooby

03-Feb-17
I've used the LW sticks for years and like them a lot. This past year I got a set of the Hawk Helium sticks and like them even better than the LW's because of the dual steps on the Hawks. A lot of guys on another forum get the Hawks, put a versa-button on them from Lone Wolf and then replace the strap and buckle with a rope. Best of all worlds, if you ask me.

03-Feb-17
Like anything, you need to clarify your usage. If you're doing quick in and out setups, the LW sticks are nice. Very nice.

If you're hanging a stand that will be sitting there all November, or one that you may move once or twice, I'd go with different steps.

LW's are very nice, but with big boots on they're so so as far as I'm concerned. No way I'd buy LW sticks for static setups.

03-Feb-17
If the stand can stay up and you are able to carry a few pounds 20 ft ladder sticks work well. LW is my go to for quick and if I have to carry it in each time.

03-Feb-17
+1 AndrewE

03-Feb-17

Mad_Angler's Link
What about the Muddy Stagger steps? They are only $15 per section.

03-Feb-17
Ditto on the Lone Wolf sticks and I also have the strap extensions.

04-Feb-17
Lone wolf all the way. I set my stand for every hunt and they make it very easy and safe.

04-Feb-17

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Sun and rain ate the strap right at the clamp
Sun and rain ate the strap right at the clamp
Don't use a climbing stick with only one strap any more. (See pic). Strap broke at the clamp. Friend was unlucky but very lucky. We've switched over to climbing sticks that stack within one another with multiple belts. If we have to use individual sticks (crooked trees) we add a second strap to all single strap sectional sticks. All stands now have a climbing line as well!

05-Feb-17
X2 with Charlie. I had a bad scare with LW sticks on a wet tree, if I wasn't part monkey I would have fallen. I only use stackable sticks now or a climber.

05-Feb-17
Lone Wolf sticks for me as well. I also paint the the tops of the steps (where you place your foot) with white paint. It greatly helps you to be able to see where to step in low light conditions.

05-Feb-17
Lone wolf for me on mobile situations. and we have gone to steel sticks for permanent stands.

Charlie, please give more details, Make of steps, age, left out etccc..... please thanks Bill V

06-Feb-17
We use hang on (strap on) stands and leave them up for several months on my farm. We always use lifelines and safety harnesses that attach with a carabiner and a prussic knot.

What's wrong with using the steel screw in steps? They're simple, cheap, and easy to take out and put back in every year. We learned never to leave the steps in because the trees tend to rot around the threads of the steps after a year. Also, we're screwing into pines, tulip poplar, and sweetgum trees mostly.

06-Feb-17
Wow Charlie - that looks like it hurt! I have to ask, no life line or climbing harness??

06-Feb-17

bill v

Here's a pic. Many different brands.

06-Feb-17
I use the sticks Charlie has a pic of..I want to add another point to the male ,/ female stack ons ....You can insert all of the sections together while standing safely on the ground.. and my favorite part... Absolutely mouse quiet....Stand er against the tree ..Strap it as u climb.....Lineman's belt...Hang any stand w ease...They are heavier..I'm looking into welding up an aluminum set,...If I fabricate them I'll post a pic..

06-Feb-17
I use ladder sticks and screw in steps. Like stated above, take the steps out after each season so the tree will heal over. Because the wood in hardwoods will get hard around them, causing them to come out of the holes when you are standing on it. Learned that the hard way. Don't put them back into last years holes either. Learned that one the hard way too. My dad always told me if you are going to be dumb, you had better be tough. I'm dumb and lucky. God Bless

06-Feb-17
So which is heavier? Screw in steps or strap on steps? ( I normally use about 18 screw in steps.)

07-Feb-17
Charlie, I mean what was the cause of the accident, I know you said the strap broke, but why? brand used? was it left in tree year after year? Cut? bad manufacturing? etc...

I always ask so we all learn, We had a UBP member fall a few weeks ago on the last day. It looks as though it was a transfer slip, not equipment failure. Its dangerous out there, I hunt up too 300 hrs a yr in tree stands and a lot can go wrong. 2 years ago I had a cable snap on a stand after 3 hrs of standing in it. how the heck the stand stayed together is beyond my pay grade. I was able to get off the stand safely. after investigation the cable rusted down inside the cable clamp and just let go. So, I was just wondering as I have many different types of equipment I use.

Tip for steel steps as Charlie pictured. I developed a system that does not require straps. In places where you can use screw ins, I drill holes in the step shafts near the stand-offs, and use structural bolts to attach to tree. impact drill drives them right in.

bill v

08-Feb-17
Wood - Steel screw in steps would have to be lighter weight than any kind of ladder. We use a screw in step about 20" apart staggered on each side going up so 15' high only takes about 7-8 steps. I'd guess that 7-8 steps probably weigh 2-3 pounds. (I use twice as many steps if I'm taking a beginner or kid with me)

WV Mountaineer is absolutely right. Never leave screw in steps in the tree after hunting season and don't screw in to the same holes if you use the tree the next year.

09-Feb-17
LW are great to pack, easy to hang but I just don't like the steps. I like a step where I can place both feet at same level especially when hanging the stand and the pivoting step to go right or left just isn't a good setup for me especially in the dark.

09-Feb-17
I use the same climbing sticks that Charley posted a photo of.....HOWEVER, you need to pre- assemble the sticks at home before using them for the first time. That way, you can make sure that the centering bracket is on the proper side to prevent consecutive rungs from being on the same side.......so be sure that you alternate the rungs as you add sections. Pre-assembly ensures this.....

09-Feb-17
Jake X2. Always better to do it right the first time than finding out you messed up when you're 15' up in a tree. I number my sections beforehand too. I'm not too bright sometimes, but I can count.

• Sitka Gear