ben h 06-Feb-17
Wood 06-Feb-17
Tajue17 07-Feb-17
geoffp 07-Feb-17
Bigdan 08-Feb-17
TREESTANDWOLF 08-Feb-17
MoBowhunter 08-Feb-17
03-Feb-17
thanks to everyone who helped me pick a sight!! so now I need a rest,,,,,, currently I use the original vital gear drop aways that hold the arrow tight to the rest when the bow is not drawn,,, I can hold the bow upside down and even shake the bow around and that arrow is not moving,,,, awesome rest for moving through the woods while ducking and weaving the bow through the brush with an arrow on the string,,,,,,I would love to find a similar rest..

so not sure if any other rests do that but what would you folks recommend for a decent well made, reliable drop away that "if possible" holds the arrow tight... I've had a trophy taker before and it was nice for shooting the bow but it was a pain when going thru the woods with the arrow on the bow,,,, its thick where I hunt and I've taken maybe 17 deer from the ground.

03-Feb-17
I use the Ripcord which contains my arrow just fine. Based on what you described it seems like you should just keep the Vital Gear rest. I used one of those about 10 years ago but didn't like all the springs which broke from time to time! Good luck! C

03-Feb-17
Hamskea Hybrid Hunter will be on my rig soon.

03-Feb-17
Medusa Max or QAD works for me

03-Feb-17
Ripcord on my bows never a problem

03-Feb-17
Vaportrail Limbdriver ProV

03-Feb-17
Ripcord!

03-Feb-17
Quad drop away works well for me

03-Feb-17
I've got a Hamskea hybrid hunter pro on my bow. I love it.

03-Feb-17
Whisker Biscuit.....Seriously, I don't want moving parts or cords when I'm hunting anything. JMO

03-Feb-17
Medusa, ripcord, or qad. I'd probably never run a limb driven rest for hunting, heck I don't even like the idea of having a string attached to my cable. I'd still be running my golden key if weren't for these cotton pickin carbon arrows!

03-Feb-17
tajue, I still like those vital gear kazaway rests and will continue to buy one even with the spring issue that pops up every other year. Other option for me would be a QAD pro.

03-Feb-17
Hamskea Versa rest has been my go to for 4 or 5 years. That said, i recently got my hands on a couple AAE Pro drops and am pretty satisfied with how well they are built and adjust.

03-Feb-17
Ripcord

03-Feb-17
I have a Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro on one bow and a QAD Ultra HD Pro on another. The TT is full containment, but there is a lot of room for the arrow to move around. The QAD is better, but there is still room for the arrow to move quite a bit up and down. I prefer the QAD, but I'm just a treestand hunter for the most part who will go on an occasional elk hunt. I don't walk through the woods with an arrow nocked much.

03-Feb-17
I've used the QAD and the Ripcord Ace and I like the Ripcord much better. I had contact issues with the QAD, which I installed myself and the Ripcord I had installed by a professional, so it could have been an installer issue.

03-Feb-17
Been using a ripcord. It's amazing not having to use a finger to hold the arrow in place before drawing.

03-Feb-17
I never had a problem with the springs on my vital gears but thru work I got some special springs used inside vortex mixers which is what they use for DNA but very expensive equipment that cannot break down and I never had one break,, I will go on line and check out some of what you guys mentioned and see if I like how the arrow sits there.

thanks for the posts everyone,,, I know what bow and sight I'm using,,, once I settle on the rest its going to be stabilizers and finally arrows next and should I stay with the ACC's 3/39's I always used or change--> then I'll be outta ya hair, 8^)

03-Feb-17
Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro. Hate the name, love the rest.

Heard so much about the Hamskea Hybrid, I decided to try it. Good rest, but so bulky it caused a problem mounting my TightSpot quiver.

03-Feb-17
has anyone heard of the Shafer XV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u--0fCsi31E,,,, not a drop away more of a spread apart but it does hold the arrow tight.

03-Feb-17
Original Hamskea versa rest, hands down.

03-Feb-17
The QAD HD has worked well for me.

03-Feb-17
Hybrid Hunter Pro. Bomb proof.

04-Feb-17
There is a lot options. Choose one for your style. I use a basic trophy taker pronghorn drop. No containment but it's small, times great and have had zero issues. I prefer not containment while hunting. It helps my form & focus on every shot and not the horns down range.

04-Feb-17
ADaughter likes her QAD, I like my cheap Trophy Taker Shaky Hunter rest. not full containment, but quick to load, and as long as I'm reasonable vertical there's no danger of the arrow falling off. I like it for spot and stalk and stillhunting. I don't hunt out of a tree, so I don't know how it would work if you had to shoot down at a really sharp angle.

04-Feb-17
Hamskea hybrid pro micro.

04-Feb-17
you guys are killing me ha ha,,,, I have some research to do..

04-Feb-17
QAD hdx has worked for me, had one drop away fail on me and its the one that many will say is the most reliable, not gunna mention names as they are a great company and it probably was a fluke, but it cost me a very easy shot on a B&C bear

04-Feb-17
Quad drop away works well for me

hdx not the half price hunter model

04-Feb-17
I had 3 QAD. All has issues/failures and very loud.

I have (in a drawer) 3 Ripcords Code Reds. Nice and fairly quiet.

I have 3 NAP Apache Carbons on my bows. Zero issues, very quiet & 1 moving part.

FWIW I will always have a bow with a fail proof WB on it ready to hunt.

04-Feb-17
I would pick the Vaportrail Pro V as my favorite over all if it had microadjust. It is a tossup between it and the Hybrid Hunter Pro for me with a slight edge to the hybrid hunter Pro. It is not enough of a difference to cause me to upgrade to the HHP yet though.

04-Feb-17

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Hamskea Versa Rest

04-Feb-17
I bought a QAD in 2010 and it still works great.

I could not come up with a reason to buy anything else.. I am certain that many who have posted feels the same way.

04-Feb-17
sorry about not wanting a WB but I put LW 4" helical feathers on my arrows, I'm really leaning towards that New Shafer rest its the only thing I can find that holds the arrow tight,,, I'm going to call the guy who developed it next week and talk with him.

04-Feb-17
"Original Hamskea versa rest, hands down. "

X2

04-Feb-17
A few friends of mine tried the Schaffer rests on their Z7's and they do hold the arrow tight, however both of them had problems and are now shooting Ripcords.

06-Feb-17
what kind of problems?

06-Feb-17
Both of them had issues with the rest failing to open in wet/cold weather, so they had pretty much as much contact as you could possibly have with any rest. This was in 2010-2012 time frame, perhaps improvements have been made, I haven't a clue on that. In my opinion the Schaffer rest would not even make it on my list for drop away rests......not even at the bottom, pretty much anything mentioned above is better.

06-Feb-17
Pretty hard to beat the Hamskea Hybrid pro. full containment, micro adjustments for windage and elevation, bomb proof.

07-Feb-17
okay cool, the shafer rest guy backed out so I'm moving on to something mentioned here,, how about if I'm using normal sized parabolic 4" (may got to 3" because of the drop in weight) helical fletching by tru flight is there a favorite there or will pretty much all the drop aways work fast enough to clear that bigger fletch spinning thru?

07-Feb-17
QAD Ultra-Rest

08-Feb-17
I shoot 4 inch 4 fletch through my Ripcord. I can shoot any 150 grain head and it flys the same as my field tips.

08-Feb-17
I've owned the QAD, never an issue at all. I since switched to a limb driven rest, Vaportrail, Pro V and have found zero issues with it and actually I prefer the limb driven rest. Very simple set up also. Hameska has peaked my i interest also.

Have fun, it's part of it!

08-Feb-17
Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro. Easy setup, multiple configurations, well built. Very solid rest

• Sitka Gear