Jaquomo 05-Feb-17
midwest 05-Feb-17
tobinsghost 05-Feb-17
Jaquomo 06-Feb-17
ElkNut1 06-Feb-17
ELKMAN 07-Feb-17
Nesser 07-Feb-17
04-Feb-17
I think I can make a reasonably life-like set of different cow calls, and I ALREADY KNOW THAT MANY HERE WILL TELL ME THAT BUGLING IS SOMEWHERE BETWEEN "OVER-RATED" AND "COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE" ... But I am hoping to become a better bugler this year, in terms of both location bugling and more "interactive" applications. -- Yet, I'm not getting the best bugling sounds. I prefer a diaphragm, by the way. I think I understand the TYPES of bugles that bulls make, but reproduction has been a challenge.

Any help?

04-Feb-17
John, bugling can certainly be overdone, but in the right situation, no way it can be overrated! Obviously, the more realistic your bugling, the better your chances. That said, knowing WHEN to bugle is just as critical, if not more so.

A couple suggestions. First, get a single reed diaphragm to learn on. They're much more user-friendly than a double or triple reed. Secondly, many people that have a hard time use too much air pressure, especially at the beginning of the bugle. Blowing too hard makes it difficult for the reed to vibrate properly, not to mention by the time they get to the end of the bugle, they've run out of air. Once you start the bugle with fairly light pressure, THEN increase the pressure as you go through the rest of the call. Having that extra pressure at the end makes it much easier to hit the high notes.

I also recommend using YOUR diaphragm to expel your air. That enables you to blow longer with more control, rather than just blowing as you would when blowing out a candle.

04-Feb-17
I agree with conserving air pressure, that was the mistake I made early on. Finding a diaphragm that allowed a full range of tones, with the least effort, was the biggest hurdle for me. Of course, it also has to fit your palate correctly. Takes some experimentation, for sure.

One thing I notice, is that I'm much better at mimicking a bull, than coming up with my own bugles. Once you're comfortable making a good range of tones, adding the emotion can come naturally.

Best of Luck, Jeff

04-Feb-17
Single reeds are definitely easier, and -- I've got to think -- they're more than adequate for most all situations, so I'll focus on them. (They're far and away easier and thus more realistic for cow calls).

And Jeff -- mimicking a bull has been about the only time I've felt really comfortable with bugling, so your point is not lost! The trouble is ... I just wish they'd be more vocal in June so I could practice.

04-Feb-17
My go to diaphragm is the elk101.com All-Star. It's a single reed that produces every sound I use...from a soft calf mew to a nasty, gnarly challenge bugle. The icing on the cake is it's extremely durable.

04-Feb-17
I can make some very good bugles, but not consistently. I will get a stinker at times. Partly for that reason I will use a Berry Thunder Bugle. I still have my diaphragms and they work too, but the Thunder Bugle makes consistent excellent sounds. I too have a tendency to use too much tongue pressure. I have found using a double reed diaphragm helps.

04-Feb-17
Personally, I wouldn't worry about trying to reproduce a perfect bugle. I have had a lot better luck with the little half bugles and moans and groans they make while in close. A lot of bulls I come across aren't walking around screaming out beautiful long notes, they are just saying the bare minimum to get by and interact but still survive. Learn the little stuff that u can reproduce at crunch time and the big bugles will come easy.

04-Feb-17

ElkNut1 's Link
Sometimes starting with the basics in mouth reed use can help out! Just in case this is needed you may want to check out this short clip. Hopefully part of the answer is in it! (grin) I also have another clip on making bull sounds, but first things first!

ElkNut1

04-Feb-17
One of the best buglers I've heard was my youngest son. That was with just his own voice. Then puberty struck.

04-Feb-17
Lol! I hear ya man, my 10 year old grandson can really belt out some great challenges with his voice too. Those kids can sound amazing at times!

ElkNut1

04-Feb-17
John, do a google search for Rocky Jacobson - he does a great job of talking about, and showing just how to use a mouth reed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VITaRJNVuyQ

04-Feb-17
I find the best way to learn any call is to live with it. Drive to work with it, take on business trips, and drive the wife crazy with it.

The biggest bulls that I have called have come to bugles.

04-Feb-17
-Youtube videos of Elknuts and corey Jacobsen. -Don't be afraid to use your "voice" for the growling and grunting parts. Not just blowing air, but literally growling through he tube. -Record your own bugling so you can listen to it yourself -Practice

04-Feb-17
You certainly don't have to sound perfect. I tend to do a short call for most situations.

05-Feb-17
I have heard real bulls make some "terrible" calls on many occasions. I had one come In that I swore was a cow chirping, the only sound that it made while coming in from a good distance away.

05-Feb-17
IMHO you're going to kill more big mature bulls using a bugle well, at the right time, than you ever will with a cow call. I'm talking about herd bulls. It's all about what you're saying, when you're saying it and how close you are. If you get those things right with a bugle you might just get a giant bull closer than you're comfortable with ;)

05-Feb-17
After I put away the diaphragm and learned to voice bugle, the game changed. A multi-tone voice bugle (made by sucking air in and controlling the tone and pitch by opening and closing the throat) has a unique, natural sound which sounds nothing like the guys with diaphragms and commercial bugles honking off every ridgetop these days. Now in heavily hunted areas my best results come not with bugling at all (except locator bugles) but with voice chuckles, grunts, and whines along with stick popping.

Last night a friend told me about an experience last year. After backpacking four miles into a wilderness to make camp, then hiking another mile and a half to hunt on opening morning, he was into a herd with several big bulls. While positioning himself for a silent ambush he heard three other guys bugling at the herd in a triangle on three sides of the drainage. The bulls shut up and silently moved into the thick timber. These guys made several mistakes - bugling at active bulls when they were too far away, giving long-distance aggressive "challenge" bugles, and sounding "perfect" like every other bowhunter who watches too many YouTube videos of contest callers.. Most public land bulls I hear now wouldn't even place in the big calling contests.

05-Feb-17
I wish I could cow call with my voice like this girl....wow!

05-Feb-17
The game changed for me when I watched the YouTube video of Corey Jacobson bugle. I learned to replicate his process, threw in some natural sounds and I started calling in hunters and bulls. By being able to do the process, I am able to copy the last bugle I just heard and that seems to be working for me. Even my buddies can tell the difference and all want me to call for them.

06-Feb-17
BTW, if I'm working a bull I mimic and mock his bugle with my voice, like Corey suggests. Cutting off his bugle with "his" bugle really pisses them off.

I started keying on the chuckle/grunt-whine after many of the mature bulls in my heavily hunted (overcalled) area started doing that during daylight, while bugling almost exclusively at night. When I whined or grunted back at them in the exact cadence and tone, they will come. Usually silently, but they come.

06-Feb-17
midwest, she's absolutely amazing, Wow!

John, yes you are on the right track in wanting to improve your Bugling. Outside glassing in open country Bugling for a bulls location in both timber pockets & dark timbered country is 2nd to none. We locate somewhere around 90%+ of the bulls we encounter through Bugling, once located, now the hunt is on! We hunt OTC DIY elk country & would not consider leaving my Bugle behind for a 2nd! It's my # 1 tool for finding elk!

I'd consider listening to real bulls on youtube hunts as a starter, it's a great way to listen to the elk themselves. Narrow your Bugling down to a small handful, keep it simple & achievable. Yes some bulls will differ in sound quality from others, this is because of the various age groups of bulls you may encounter. A 1- 1/2 year old bull does not sound the same as a 3-1/2 or 5- 1/2 year old bull, etc. even though they may be sending out the exact message to other elk! It's more important to use the right Bugle tone when sending your message than it is to be TV perfect!

Consider the Top 3 Bugles that you will hear in the elkwoods during Sept & Oct elk hunts & their meanings or the message being sent! # - 1 -- Location Bugle, this is bulls looking for other elk, bulls are generally on the move when this bugle is used until they find what they're looking for!

# - 2 -- Advertising Bugle, this creative type bugling is generally done from the same spot/area as a bull attempts to draw cows within earshot to his location. This type Bugle is also used as a new Bull will introduce himself into a new area alerting both bulls & cows alike.

# - 3 -- Challenge Bugle, this bugle is generally used as a warning or intimidation to other bulls, it can range in volume & intensity & is rarely heard without a hot cow nearby. It's common to have grunts before or after his Bugle or both.

Knowing why Bulls use these 3 basic sounds will help to both identify the message being sent & can help us to form a plan on how to react to these bugles. --- Keep practicing daily on the Bugles you feel you need to work on. Having all 3 in your arsenal is nice to know so you can draw on any one of them if the need arises! Good luck!

ElkNut1

07-Feb-17
I'm one of "those guys". You best way to become a "better bugler" is to do it less, a lot less. Let them do the talking, you do the killing...

07-Feb-17
I think it really depends where and when you're hunting. High pressure mature bulls in OTC areas will not respond like mature bulls in low pressure draw units...there are exceptions but generally what I've seen. Watching Corey's videos are as good as it gets. Be savvy and don't just scream away. I personally am not a great caller and have the best luck when I can sneak into them. Big Dan has bugled in and killed about 60 bulls so he's a great resource.

• Sitka Gear