Davy C 07-Feb-17
greenmountain 07-Feb-17
MedicineBow 07-Feb-17
WhitetailHtr 07-Feb-17
Brotsky 08-Feb-17
05-Feb-17

MedicineBow's embedded Photo
MedicineBow's embedded Photo
I have little experience with compound bows so bear with me. How the heck do you get the peep to arrive at the correct position to see through it? In other words, no matter what adjustment I try in the position of the peep, at full draw it is a little sideways on way or the other. This is my first experience with this type of peep and I'm about to get rid of it and go back to the type that has the rubber hose tied to one of the cables. Thanks in advance for your help.

05-Feb-17
You have to put a twist in the string. Maybe half a twist whatever it takes. It may be a tad sideways before you draw but at full draw it should be straight. Scooby

05-Feb-17
If you use a stting loop, simply twist it one way or the other until your peep lines up at full draw. Once set, it's good to go.

05-Feb-17
Do you have a press? If so, twist one end of the string 1/2 turn. If good, leave it. If better do another 1/2. If worse go the other way.

Something else I have saved: PEEP INSTALL BY gjarcher 6/15

This is how I set the string for peep rotation:

Use the bow press to simulate the string going from high tension (brace) to low tension (letoff at anchor). Assuming the correct distance from the nock point to center of peep is known, install the peep at that point, then add/remove a twist or two from the bottom of the string to align the peep with the string at brace tension. Next, add just a little compression to the press to reduce string tension and observe peep movement. If the peep rotates as tension is removed, add or remove twists to compensate until the peep remains aligned/perpendicular and does not move when tension is added or removed.

On a two-cam bow you can work from the bottom end only, on a solocam, work both ends to find a balance in the tension. Eight twists on the bottom end equals about 360º rotation, two twists corrects a 45º mis-alignment.I used this method when installing the peep in the new Zebra Trophy string for the Prestige WITHOUT any shoot-in time. Now, with over 200 shots on the bow, it has not moved one bit, still perfectly aligned.

So far, no change in specs, any string stretch has been unnoticeable, perfect peep alignment, timing has not changed. Serving is tight, no signs of separation.

05-Feb-17
Just as wyobullshooter said, use a loop and adjust it so your peep is properly aligned at full draw.

05-Feb-17
Buy good strings so they don't twist as you draw, #1. Twist/adjust said string so the peep is correctly positioned at rest, then set and tighten the bejeezus out of your loop. Your peep and loop should be straight when the bow is just sitting there if you have everything adjusted correctly and it should remain in that position thru the draw cycle if the string was built with enough internal tension.

05-Feb-17
I don't have a bow press. I've seen makeshift ways to substitute the press but at my level of experience I'm afraid to try it. One way I saw a guy do it is to take a 3/4" wooden dowel and have someone place it in the cam on the inside of the limb??

Again, bear with me. What do you guys mean by installing the peep with a loop?

Bob, If recall correctly the string is a Zebra. Good, bad???

05-Feb-17
Good advice above or if you're inexperienced like me go to your local pro shop. This should not be an issue.

05-Feb-17
A loop is attached to the string at your nock point for hooking your release to.

05-Feb-17
Do NOT put a dowel in your cam. Make sure your bow is only pressed with a real press. The turn your D-loop is just a band-aid. It will work but I have never had it last a long time. Best is to take it to a shop and have you shoot it and they adjust it. I want my peep straight at full draw and at brace. No turning during the draw.

IMO Zebra strings a very good since the revamp a few years ago. I have had zero issues with the last 3 or 4 on my bows. I have close to 8000 shots on my HTR with no issues. Only one time I had to adjust the cables/string and peep is still straight. My next string will be a Zebra.

05-Feb-17
Some questions:

Is this a new string? If so, you will have to shoot it a few dozen times first to settle it in.

Do you nock your release on the string, or is there a "D" rope loop that you hook your release to? If there is a loop, then you can carefully turn your loop as much as a quarter turn if needed so that when pulling on it you turn the peep the needed amount.

If your peep is more than a quarter turn out of alignment, then you will need to take it back to the bow shop and have them fix it.

05-Feb-17
If your bow is a single cam mathews you can squeeze the buss cable towards the limb with one hand, and when you squeeze enough the cam will rotate and you can stick an allen wrench between the cam opening/web and the limb. Works fine and I did it twice today adjusting my draw length when messing with a cpl different releases. Common practice with a mathews single cam. If you haven't seen it done, going in blind probably isn't a good idea. After the first time the pucker factor goes away.

I have a factory Zebra on my C4 and it's a good string. They're a whole lot better now, their pro shooters made them up the quality because the factory guys have to use the factory zebra strings.

05-Feb-17
Bob, It's a Mathews Creed XS. Maybe there's a you-tube video of the process you're referring to?

06-Feb-17

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
I'm not familiar with that bow. Initial observation from an internet picture, you may not be able to use a pin to hold the cam. The design of the C4 cam lends itself to this particular method.

If in doubt, use a press.

06-Feb-17
Thanks!

06-Feb-17
IDK if it was mentioned above but if not, 1 twist in the bottom of your string will rotate the peep 1/4 turn. Set your peep height, then press and twist until it comes back straight. Typically you can get it perfect without having to use the D Loop to compensate.

06-Feb-17
All that string twisting can affect bow tuning. Simply rotate the d loop to line up with peep when not drawn. It's so easy compared to the other factors. God Bless

06-Feb-17
The D loop twist is a temp fix. Twist that string. Typically string twist does not have much effect on tuning compared to cable twisting. The half twist will have no impact on your tune in most cases.

06-Feb-17
Twisting only the string will have zero affect on tune.

06-Feb-17
Trust me, this will drive you to give up archery . Take your bow to a shop and get a new string and start from scratch, you wont be disappointed.

06-Feb-17
I have had recent problems with a peep that divides the string three ways. I am not sure it is the peep or my aging eyes. Maybe I just need to get my eye closer. Any thoughts?

07-Feb-17
Green, get rid of that peep and get one that splits the string in two. The three way splits it seems like they always have a strand in the sight picture. I had one on my daughter's bow and my wife's bow when I bought them and swapped them both out first thing. You'll be much happier and see much clearer!

07-Feb-17
I will have to do some research. I have been using a three way for years without problem. I wonder what I have changed.

07-Feb-17
This is still an archery discussion right?

07-Feb-17
lol @ x-man!

07-Feb-17
This used to drive me nuts too and I never really liked the rubber hoses, so I went with a No Peep. It really surprises me that so many people still use peeps. No hassle or worries, I see better, and I'm a better shot. They don't make the No Peeps anymore but one of those IQ sights would accomplish the same thing I'd think.

07-Feb-17
Here is a little trick you can try. Install a string silencer above your peep. One that splits the string, not one that wraps around the string. By sliding the string silencer up and down it will change the rotation of your peep. Not a lot but you can usually get a 1/4 turn out of it.

07-Feb-17
X-man, I said string not rope. Thank you for the smile. It was a poor choice of words.

07-Feb-17
Several good suggestions here and thanks. I've done the D-loop thing and it seems to have corrected the problem but after 25-30 shots starts creeping back. No big deal I guess I'll just twist it back until I can get access to a bow press. Are the portable ratchet type presses any good?

07-Feb-17
Problems with the mechanics of a peep sight, not to mention limitations in low light situations, led me to Hind Sight. Check out their line. Rugged and effective. I know that Tom Miranda shot a train load of game with a Hind Sight.

Good Luck!

08-Feb-17
I can't tell in your picture but do you have a little serving above and below that peep to hold it in place?

• Sitka Gear