Shorty 06-Feb-17
deerslayer 06-Feb-17
WV Mountaineer 06-Feb-17
azcouescrazy 07-Feb-17
Royboy 07-Feb-17
MichaelArnette 07-Feb-17
HUNT MAN 07-Feb-17
06-Feb-17
So I wanted to start this topic to not only help me and my hunting partners but also to help others both new and old. In 2016, a good buddy and I did our first out of state archery elk hunt. We were unsuccessful but had a great time. I learned a lot about myself and my own abilities/drive. I know I can be in better shape for the next time (2018), but also need to be mentally stronger. Are there anything specific that you would change about your hunts or your preparation going into 2017 and 2018?Thanks in advance, here's to a better year! Daniel

06-Feb-17
Mental toughness is the difficult one. I know the first time I climbed up a mountain and spent the night there alone, I was a lot more freaked than I thought I would be. Your mind can certainly play games on you, especially if alone. As far as physical fitness goes, as long as you haven't had a life changing event that will take up a significant portion of your time, I'm betting you will do just fine in adding the extra preparation you need to be more fit.

06-Feb-17
Congrats on your first elk hunt. The Mountain will quickly tell you what you need to do, and you'll be much better prepared this time. Best advice I can give...embrace everything nature throws at you. No matter how crappy the weather, realize you have to be out there to harvest an elk...so be prepared for anything. Not seeing or hearing elk for a day or two can really be tough on you mentally...but everything can change in a matter of seconds. Make sure you're out there when it does. All in all...it sure beats being at work ;^)

Best of Luck, Jeff

06-Feb-17
I am going to scout more in the dark to be in a good location at first light. Try to hunt more bedding fringe areas and work harder at being in a good position prior to when the wind starts swirling. I also started making my own diaphragm calls so that should improve also. I need to get some glasses also as I seem to have lost some vision in the last year and its showing in my distance shooting. Above all of those is to try to draw a decent TAG.......

06-Feb-17
By elkmtngear: >>Not seeing or hearing elk for a day or two can really be tough on you mentally...but everything can change in a matter of seconds.<<

+1 !! Be hunting all the time, not just walking. It helps me when things are going slow to stop and eat or make some coffee just to refocus. When you lose that focus, you stroll over a ridge and all hell breaks loose because you weren't hunting (paying attention).

06-Feb-17
I struggle with the fine line that is just the right amount of aggressiveness. After 3 elk hunts I am very confident in my ability to find and get into elk given enough time. My first elk hunt I was far too passive waiting for the wind to be perfect, unsure about terrain bulls were in, wondering if bugles were actually humans, too little daylight left, etc. Paralysis by analysis as they say. Most recent elk hunt we got a little too aggressive in swirly winds and blew a bunch of elk out of our honey hole, as well as a couple calling setups we were just a touch off resulting in bulls close but no shots. When, where, and how to make the moves to kill a bull once you've located them is what I spend a lot of time thinking about how to improve in the future.

06-Feb-17
My high is when I finally draw a tag! It seems I am stuck in the lows.

06-Feb-17
Those steep downward or upward angle shots can be tricky. Going to work on that in my practice this year.

06-Feb-17
I'm no pro. Far from it actually. But, finding the elk is priority number one. After that, being passive aggressive seems to be the right choice. I know this is going to flip some switches but, hunting elk in the rut is very similar to hunting turkeys in the spring in big country. You can't kill them if you aren't with them. If you stay with them, being patient if need be, they will make a mistake allowing you an opportunity soon enough, if you are aggressive enough.

It's a feeling kind of thing. God Bless

07-Feb-17
I will say I have hunted elk either myself or with friends for many years in AZ, but this last year I swear those animals are a whole new breed. Out of 9 days we heard 2 bugles, saw two cows and missed a grouse. In AZ I can find elk between 4800 and 7500 feet all day long. We never saw sign below 9500 in Colorado.

07-Feb-17
Out of state hunts can be really hard with not knowing the elk and their habits. Hunting in my regular haunts is easy compared to trips I have made to other states. Knowing that going in will help you appreciate just being in new areas. Everyone being in good shape and mentally prepared for a tough hunt will go a long way towards your success. I personally have been working on being in great shape ( even at 58) so I can go and go and go!

07-Feb-17
Go high or go home is my advise, we hunt over 9500 feet.

07-Feb-17
To help a couple first timers get a elk!! I enjoy seeing others have success !! Best of luck in 2017 !! Hunt

• Sitka Gear