yooper89 07-Feb-17
ElkNut1 07-Feb-17
Destroyer350 07-Feb-17
yooper89 07-Feb-17
ElkNut1 07-Feb-17
Destroyer350 07-Feb-17
07-Feb-17

ElkNut1 's Link
We just finished Part II with Archery Maniacs on some fun stuff! (grin) We cover a lot about Why & When to Bugle! This is a fairly big topic these days with so many shying away from bugling when they should be grasping a hold of it as the # 1 way to find elk especially those that hunt Dark Timbered Elk Country! Check it out! Thanks!

Click the link to listen!

ElkNut1

07-Feb-17
Cool. Could you put a link to part 1? I'm unable to find it on the website.

07-Feb-17

ElkNut1 's Link
Here you go, I believe this is it! Thanks!

ElkNut1

07-Feb-17
Paul,

Listened to pt. 2 yesterday. Both episodes were great!

07-Feb-17
Christian, thanks bud, glad you enjoyed them!

I think we could employ some more calling in them to drive a couple points home better! Any thoughts? We have a lot of fun doing them with some great guys!

ElkNut1

07-Feb-17
Good stuff! I'm going to save this and listen to it a little closer to season. I think it totally makes sense not to get in close to a bugling bull and do a location bugle. I have only been hunting elk for 6 years and this last year I really felt my calling has gotten better but I still don't know the "elk language". I have gotten to a point where I'm calling a lot of cows away from the bulls but I can't get bulls away from their cows. Maybe I'm not saying the right things to him.

07-Feb-17
Paul, As a new(ish) elk hunter still looking for my first bull, I can't say there's much I would suggest adding. More sounds would be great, but the examples given were awesome. Podcasts like these are the ones I fill my notebook with.

07-Feb-17
Christian, thank you sir, I hope the info can aid you in some way on this years hunts!

Matt, sounds like you're doing a lot of right things for sure! Calling cows away from a bull is not easily done, nice job! No doubt sound selection has its place, each sound sends a message but most important is right sound at the right time! Just because a bull has cows it does not automatically make him a candidate for aggressive bugling by the hunter! As I mentioned in the Podcast there needs to be a hot cow in the group for best odds in pulling him away in a defensive action as well as good cover, wind & close proximity. (inside 80 yards is best) If you're seeing the bull or cows in an opening such as in sage brush or similar this can also be a low odds encounter with the herd bull especially on OTC bulls. Calling at that time has low odds for success especially with no cows in heat or estrus. Your better off to shadow the group & silently stalk them into cover for a possible ambush.

It's a very common mistake that many hunters make, they call & give away themselves & position with little chance for success in such open spaces. Your odds increase to be silent until you can get them into the timber. If an ambush is possible then work in that direction using the cover & wind, exercising patience at this time is crucial.

You'll know when a herd bull has a hot cow nearby because Satellites are harassing the group, yes there are generally multiple bulls bugling for the hot cows attention. This is a good sign that you are near a bull you can possibly be aggressive with. When no hot cows play on the bulls curiosity if an ambush is out of the question!

I'll add that when I decide to Challenge the bull it's the bugle I give at 12 minutes into the podcast. If I want to call the bulls cows away I'll then use the lip bawl which I show at 13 minutes. In either case I reserve this type calling to herd bulls with at least one hot cow!

ElkNut1

07-Feb-17
Makes sense. Hopefully by next year I will understand their language a little better! Thanks for the tips and great podcast!

• Sitka Gear