Tajue17 09-Feb-17
ohiohunter 09-Feb-17
smarba 09-Feb-17
GF 09-Feb-17
bill v 09-Feb-17
Old School 09-Feb-17
Davy C 09-Feb-17
08-Feb-17
I'm dropping weight from a 65# Rival pro to a 50# Helium,,, not sure if I can still shoot the ACC 3/39's I always shot or buy another lighter or heavier arrow for the most efficiency paired with a great head...

broadheads though I'm curious what others are using,,, what head is your "go to" head with the light compound for whitetails and coyotes, my limbs should be around 50 to 53#..

08-Feb-17
First, don't give up a heavy arrow. I'd stay over 400 grains (with broadhead). For your broadhead I'd go with a fixed, three blade 1 1/8 inch cut to 1 3/8 inch cut. Mechanicals take a lot of energy out of the arrow on entry so I'd avoid them at lower draw weight. Go with blades that offer a gradual straight cut. Plenty to chose from. The newer bows are very efficient and for the purpose you stated will be very effective.

08-Feb-17
125 Thunderhead for a three blade or a Stinger for a two blade.

08-Feb-17
Take a look at the Slick Trick, Vipertrick.

08-Feb-17
I'd probably use something like a Magnus Stinger 4 blade but if you want to use a mechanical, try a 100 grain Rocket Steelhead. Very good penetrating mechanical. Keep your arrow weight at 400 grains or more.

08-Feb-17
I'd look at a cut toward a cut on contact 3 blade in 100-125 grains. You can choose from a variety just from that group to determine which specific brand fits your needs.

That said, my wife (Lady Bowhunter) and I use the 100 grain Montec CS with very satisfactory results. Her setup is 50# at 26" on Victory brand arrows. The game we've taken with the broadheads include deer, hogs, black bear and many exotics.

I won't bash expandable heads, just (as Charlie mentioned) they consume a bunch of energy on impact as the blades deploy.

Hope this helps

08-Feb-17
I have a fair amount of experience with 40# compound bow kills having two ladies in the house that bowhunt. My wife has killed everything from turkeys to bear with the 100gr Slick trick Standard. My daughter also had a full pass through with the same set-up last fall on a big doe. I'd give them a try.

08-Feb-17
Solid advice, all I can add is what would be at the top of my list.... Magnus. I'd also investigate some of the thinner shaft options esp if chasing muleys.

08-Feb-17
VPA 175 grainers. I shoot them at 60#s with a .400 spine arrow cut to 27.5"s. Scooby

08-Feb-17
FYI. Shooting a Bowtech Prodigy at 50#, using .500 spine Easton FMJ, Muzzy MX4 Broadhead. Shot 4 deer with bow 2 pass thru, 2 hit ribs no pass thru.

08-Feb-17
My wife shoots a 42# Martin compound. She uses a 100gr G5 Montec. Touch it up a bit for sharpness out of the package, you will not have a problem. A few years ago she got a complete pass through on a small mule deer buck, the shot was 15 yards, and he went less than 50 yards before dropping dead. Double lung heart. I recommend Montecs because you can get them everywhere, but my personal first choice is a VPA. I also say stay away from mechanicals.

08-Feb-17
Hmmm. 11 replies already with 7 different opinions.

08-Feb-17
I have gone to a similar set-up;use ACC's and 100gr.Thunderheads.

08-Feb-17
52 lb bow, 29.5 inch draw. I use Maxima Hunter 250s and VPA 125 grain unvented BHs. Total arrow wt 420 grains. I pass through everything.

08-Feb-17
I dropped from 60# to 50# this year. Still use 425 gr arrow including 125 gr 3 blade wacem head. Pass through's on 2 whitetails, one at 20 yds and 17yds.

08-Feb-17
I always enjoy these threads that seem to imply 40-50 pounds may place them at a big disadvantage. Do the compute on KE or Momentum for the compound and for a longbow of similar weight and you will see there is really no reason to think you are at some kind of disadvantage.

You are definitely better off than the guy shooting 70 who has to do the "wave" to get the string back.

08-Feb-17
100 gr. Thunderheads .

08-Feb-17
I shoot 52# and Slick Tricks. I've taken 2 elk and a moose with this setup. My wife shoots 42# with Magnus 2 blades. She's killed elk, deer and antelope with it. Both setups work great. No mechanicals for me, would like to try them but know I won't be happy with the results, so I'll keep shooting my setup.

08-Feb-17
Simmons tree sharks....And you'll end the life of whatever you hit..In vitals... Period...You'll probably kill the dirt on the exit side....Too...

08-Feb-17
wow, a lot of different choices here,,, treesharks 2" wide fixed blade I would only hope my bow is tuned perfect enough to shoot those,,, I do have 4 packs here some where.

I do have some heads here and a few that some of you mentioned but was curious if anything brand new on the scene was a hot head for a light setup.

I'm hoping the ACC 3/39's fly decent out of my bow I do like them.

08-Feb-17
I would think the 3-39's would shoot better at 50# than 65#

08-Feb-17
I have one bow set up at 50# for late season cold weather hunts after cuff surgery. I shoot the same arrow combo as my 60# bow, a 340 Beman Elite with a 125 gr G5 Striker at around 430 grains. I have shot 3 whitetails with it and all have been complete pass throughs.

08-Feb-17
My wife shoots a Mathews Jewel set at 50# with Slick Trick Vipertricks. Blows right through whitetails.

08-Feb-17
Just stay away from the mechanicals.

08-Feb-17
BH's I would think worthy of consideration for a 50# bow: Slick Trick Standard 100 gr.(4 blade), Woodsmen Elite 100 gr. (3 blade) or ; VPA vented 100 gr. (2 blade) The 2-blade VPA would give you the greatest penetration. The Woodmen Elite is long and slender for great penetration. The Slick Trick is a "bread & butter" replaceable BH. All three BH tune easily and fly well. I would not recommend a mechanical BH.

08-Feb-17
I just took a look at the new Iron Will COC broadheads today and interviewed the inventor. Best, hardest, sharpest, broadhead I've ever seen. And I've seen and shot a lot. That will be my head from now on.

08-Feb-17
Refrigerators are easy to sneak up on but they are hell on a knife to debone.

09-Feb-17
And remember to unplug before you cook - or the meat will stay cold Inside...

09-Feb-17
My ol bones and joints likes a 44# compound on those 10 degree mornings. I use Magnus 2 blade.

09-Feb-17
Like many have said I would stay away from any of the mechanical broadheads. I have had my wife and daughter shooting the Magnus stinger 4 blade 100 grain heads for several years and they have never failed. I think the G5 striker 100 or 125 grain broadhead would also be a great head. Best of luck with what ever you choose. I think the arrows you were shooting should still work for you.

09-Feb-17
Those DRT's look like they'd be whistlers

09-Feb-17
I'm focusing on the fixed blade heads for now not knocking other folks choice but first I need to build some confidence in a 50# compound.

09-Feb-17
Razor, did you try any Solids? Solid BH are made with some of the highest grade steel, s30v.

09-Feb-17
Slick Trick Vipertrick is replaceable blade, but for all practical purposes it's a cut on contact with the narrow sharp tip. And now a Bowsite sponsor to boot!

09-Feb-17

GF's embedded Photo
This one blew through the shank of a small whitetail - essentially nothing but bone, and shattered it.
GF's embedded Photo
This one blew through the shank of a small whitetail - essentially nothing but bone, and shattered it.
GF's embedded Photo
But there was some damage to the head...
GF's embedded Photo
But there was some damage to the head...
GF's embedded Photo
On the other hand.... Pretty good blood on the arrow! This was a follow-up shot (NOT the damaged head!), but I opened up the descending aorta with this one and that was all she wrote...
GF's embedded Photo
On the other hand.... Pretty good blood on the arrow! This was a follow-up shot (NOT the damaged head!), but I opened up the descending aorta with this one and that was all she wrote...
I started with Magnus Stinger 100s... decided they weren't compatible with my Catquiver because of the sharp trailing edges. In a typical bow quiver, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.... You've gotta realize, a #50 compound has so much more Oomph on it than a #50 longbow... and a #50 longbow will kill anything you want, as long as you don't choose the wrong head...

So I switched to the NAP Hellrazor...

09-Feb-17
Pretty much any C on C quality head will do. I've moved to the Vipertrick as some above have.

bill v

09-Feb-17
Another vote for the Magnus. My son shoots 50# and is 2 for 2 on bucks with both shots being complete pass-throughs.

--Mitch

09-Feb-17
I think any of the above would work well. I am partial to four blade (2 main 2 bleeder) cut on contact heads for lower poundage bows. I am thinking of trying the Wasp Sharpshooter this year. My pro shop said they have had good luck with them. They look well built and get good internet reviews for accuracy and sharpness.

• Sitka Gear