IdyllwildArcher 08-Feb-17
Native Okie 08-Feb-17
BOWUNTR 08-Feb-17
pav 09-Feb-17
TD 09-Feb-17
IdyllwildArcher 09-Feb-17
WapitiBob 09-Feb-17
08-Feb-17
Has anyone figured out how to invest in this? I have applied for 2017 but can't figure out how to make this purchase on their website. Also the regs are saying that you have to present the tag in person??? If true, that would seem like a pretty lame program. Hopefully I am misinterpreting. Thanks Mike-TN PS.... I did try to call Game and Fish but after 10 minutes of hold music thought this might be faster

08-Feb-17
When you apply for the tag it gives you the option. Yes, in person... separates the men from the boys. Too much potential for abuse. Ed F

08-Feb-17
Hmmm.... sounds like it separates the residents from the non-residents to me.

Mike-TN

08-Feb-17
Hmmm.... sounds like it separates the residents from the non-residents to me.

Mike-TN

08-Feb-17
I didn't create it and personally, I don't like it. Ed F

08-Feb-17
A non resident does not need to return the tag in person. They were to have the app booklet/main regs language updated last Spring but obviously it fell thru the cracks.

If you applied online, you were presented with the option to sign up, after your hunt selections and before final checkout. It's only available for online applications and is species specific. If you applied online and didn't sign up, you're SOL unless you can call Kathy and get her to add it over the phone, provided they have the authority to do it.

08-Feb-17
Thanks Bob....if what you are saying is true then they are doing a poor job of rolling this out. From their website "ointGuard is $5 per species, per applicant, purchased at the time of completing the online application, or prior to the application period deadline. The fee is non-refundable. ". Or prior to the application deadline sounds like there is alternative opportunity to purchase. I will give them a call.

08-Feb-17
It's my understanding that you have to sign-up and be a member of their portal, in order to get it. If you just apply regularly, it won't offer it to you.

08-Feb-17
Yes, Stick is correct. You need a portal membership. my bad

08-Feb-17
Called G&F.... stick is correct. I have set up portal account but now have to wait a couple days for system to update.... then it will give me option to purchase. Thanks guys

08-Feb-17
Yes, you need a portal account. However, the other day I did see on my portal account an option to add point guard to my pending application. I didn't add point guard when I applied but it appears you may be able to add it to a pending application. I would create a portal account, it's free, and see if it gives you the option.

08-Feb-17
IMO, they should be providing this service anyways because we pay a lot of money to just apply. If I order something from Amazon and it isn't what I wanted or needed, I can send it back; I don't have to buy "send it back insurance." It's just a ruse to get more money that has been created largely by people losing their points due to their website's terrible interface and the rest being from events beyond people's control - both of which erase years of investment and waiting and destroy hopes and dreams.

AZDG&F are making people pay extra for the customer service that they should be providing anyways. I won't pay it. It's a rip off.

08-Feb-17
Well said, Ike!

08-Feb-17
If they had this in every state (like Amazon) it would make sense to just apply for every species in every state and roll the dice... Then when you draw a dozen tags, work out your season schedule and return all the tags you drew but conflict with your other hunts. Talk about point creep... I don't like that, for several reasons.... Ed F

09-Feb-17
Dang....not often I disagree with anything Ike says....but...

Whether they should or not (I agree they should), Arizona does not offer this service for free. I've read more than one thread on Bowsite where someone mistakenly burned a bunch of points on a cow tag. Bet those folks wish they had $5 worth of point guard.

There is also the chance one draws a tag of a lifetime and then the bigger picture intervenes.....be it health, family, or just Murphy himself....making the trip not feasible. Again, cheap insurance IMO.

09-Feb-17
Never mind.... I thought it read "Arizona point SHAVER program".....

09-Feb-17
If they made their interface like Utah's, no one would EVER be drawing cow tags by mistake and it happens several times every year on AZ's site.

As far as putting in everywhere, many NRs do that already. I doubt a bunch of residents are just banking points. I put in for 39 tags last year and purchased 2 preference points. I drew one tag in my home state and one in Wyoming, both of which I knew I'd draw before the draws.

EDIT: My personal example really is irrelevant. The main reason this even exists is because of 1) their terrible interface causing people to pick the wrong tag, which should be fixed, 2) credit card problems causing people to lose their tags- also something that normal customer service should take care of, and 3) things like medical emergencies/personal emergencies- which should, with proof, be taken into consideration.

You have the people who put in for tags and the people who put in for points. I maintain that this charge is in place of normal customer service.

And if these game depts had even a match held to their feet, they could get these draws done in a fraction of the time it takes them now since the advent of computers and we'd know our results by the time the others came out anyways. California does their entire draw in less than 2 weeks from the close of the application period. These 2 month draw periods are not only ridiculous, but have created the problem of not being able to organize our fall hunting plans.

09-Feb-17

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
If a person can't choose the correct hunt from a list box that shows hunt number, hunt dates, and unit, they should probably enlist some help, or buy insurance. It really isn't that difficult but $5 insurance for peace of mind is pretty cheap.

• Sitka Gear