ben h 10-Feb-17
Mark Watkins 12-Feb-17
Matt 12-Feb-17
cmbbulldog 12-Feb-17
Griz34 12-Feb-17
YZF-88 13-Feb-17
TD 13-Feb-17
08-Feb-17
I didn't want to hijack the other post regarding best elk backpacks, but I also have some questions I'm hoping some pack veterans can help me with. I'm going on my first elk hunt in CO and want a versatile pack for 5-7 day hunt. Money is not really a concern, but I want to make sure I get the right pack for my needs. After some research, it looks like Kifaru is the way to go. My question is how to choose the right one? Am I right in thinking something around 5000ci will be a good size? Right now my list includes the Reckoning, Timberline2, and Mountain Warrior, but I'm open to others. Any suggestions on how to narrow down the choices?

08-Feb-17
I have the three you list plus, several others. The Mountain Warrior is one of my favorites, especially in daypack mode. The bag cinches down to nothing but you still have the big front pouch for day use. Kill something and expand the pack, fill it and go. For 5-7 days 5000 is about right, but I never mind going bigger either.

You really just have to look at the features of these bags that interest you and go for it. They are all great bags. I've owned every hunting pack Kifaru has made the past few years. You really can't go wrong with any of them, but the Mountain Warrior is one of my favorites.

08-Feb-17

Ermine's embedded Photo
Mountain warrior on left. EMR 2 on right
Ermine's embedded Photo
Mountain warrior on left. EMR 2 on right
I use the EMR 2. It is a great do it all pack. I can use it cinched down as a day pack or expand it for a multi day pack.

Try to find someone near you that has one maybe to check out.

You can't go wrong with the timberline, reckoning or mountain warrior. Best bet is get your hands on some and check them out.

08-Feb-17
I own a High Camp, DT3, and a Mountain Warrior. I like the set-up of the Mountain Warrior the best, especially when paired with the Guide Lid. You get a main pack to put things like your sleep system and food, and then the outer compartments are great for things like rain gear that you can access fairly quickly. The other bags I have are mostly big bags with less versatility/accessibility. Plus there's the webbing to add other pockets. I really dig the Mountain Warrior and plan on making it my pack for a 10 day goat hunt this year.

08-Feb-17

Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo
Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo

EMR II for me. Small as can be when cinched down but it'll expand to carry more than I'd ever want too...it's the only pack I need up here and I'd use it for elk if I was an elk Hunter.

08-Feb-17
EMR II for me! if you aren't sure just call Kifaru and talk to them!

08-Feb-17
FWIW - The guys who have posted on this thread are a wealth of information and experience. I would suggest inquiring of them as to what details they didn't like about the pack they don't prefer to help you weigh your decision.

And call Kifaru.

09-Feb-17
I mainly use a base Duplex frame. When I got it that was pretty much the only frame they offered in their full sized "hybrid" packs, although in a couple different lengths. They had hunting and military "style", I got mine used and it was from the military side. Pretty much all the same though, a bit different buckles and hardware here and there, molle webbing etc. Duplex is bombproof. A great frame. And most if not all their bags will fit it.

Now I think they have at least 3, maybe more completely different frame designs and likely many options off of those as well, without even looking at what bags you may want. First decide what you may be considering as a "full" load you can carry. Will you be packing heavier meat loads? Is a more flexible frame important to you? Have those things down and call Kifaru. they will want your size and weight etc as well. They will steer you to the right choices.

09-Feb-17

oldgoat's embedded Photo
oldgoat's embedded Photo
I have the Nomad, I really like it, others don't, I can use it to carry blinds between the wings for turkey season in addition to back packing for elk. From ones you listed,i really think the reckoning shines. If the picture posts, the top pack is mine, has the camp bag installed, under it I have a shovel and a small folding toilet seat, between the lid and the camp bag is a 35L dry bag with my wife's gear we couldn't get to ride on the meat shelf of her pack so I sandwiched it in to mine, luckily we weren't going far in. When I get to camp, the camp bag and other stuff comes off, the wings close and the lid comes down and I have a day pack that will haul anything.

09-Feb-17

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
I have only tried the Mountain Warrior....but absolutely love it! Use it in daypack mode and for hauling loads. Perfect size for elk hunting....or caribou...or....

09-Feb-17
I have a couple bags. A timberline 2 for lighter hunting that has nice outer pockets for quick and easy access to gear. I have a 2nd pack EMR2 that I can fit large, bulky loads. I can load my EMR2 so full I can barely stand with the load. It's great for meat, capes, camp, etc. I first got my EMR2 pack for Alaska sheep and goat trips where I'd be packing camp plus meat plus capes....and it's worked out well. A pack the size of an EMR2 will likely save a trip or 2 with elk sized game compared to a pack similar in size to a Timberline. It's also possible to strap the EMR2 tight to the frame for smaller volume loads. I like the pouches on the outside of the EMR2 for spotting scope plus tripod. The EMR2 also has a zipper down the front that is good for access to gear.

Bag choice likely depends upon what type of hunting you prefer and what types of gear you will be taking. You can always add a few pouches and a lid for additional gear. I really like having the large lid for access to rain jacket, maps, and other gear.

You may already know but there are a bunch of youtube videos on their website and youtube that show each pack and their features.

09-Feb-17

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
I have a timberline 2 on the bikini frame! It has been a bombproof pack! I use it for everything from a day pack to 5-6 day bivy ! Hunt

09-Feb-17

kota-man's embedded Photo
AK Dall
kota-man's embedded Photo
AK Dall
Here's another classic Kifaru in action. The T1 hauls anything you can haul and like all Kifaru's, cinches down into daypack mode perfectly. Like I said, you can't go wrong with any of them. For me personally, I don't like a pack with a bunch of horizontal straps. I've owned the Nomad, EMR2 and now the Reckoning, and I just can't get used to all the straps. The T series, the Mountain Warrior, the Argali and AMR don't have the horizontal straps so I tend to lean towards those most of the time. To each his own though. You'll be hard pressed to find an EMR2 or Reckoning pack owner that doesn't love their pack.

09-Feb-17
whatever you buy, load it up and put it on, I didn't like the way mine fit me. I went with a Horn Hunter pack, it just fit me better.

Good Luck!

Scar.

09-Feb-17
I think you have to begin with the size of bag. That is going to be determined by how much gear you have and how ultralight and small it is. In my opinion, unless you are a minimalist with super ultralight gear, 5000 c.i. will be too small.

I'll just say that as far as bags go, I would look at the AMR. It compresses to nothing, will work in daypack mode and beast mode. I find the DT1 to have too narrow of a main bag for my taste. One thing you might do is just call Kifaru and order 2-3 bags. Then return the ones you don't want.

09-Feb-17

otcWill's embedded Photo
Can't go wrong with any Kifaru!
otcWill's embedded Photo
Can't go wrong with any Kifaru!
Done a couple thousand miles wearing my Mountain Warrior and packed a pile of bulls out wearing it. I won't ever need another pack. I've got about 60% of a mature bull in the bag in this pic. Homerun trot :)

09-Feb-17
Awesome photos guys! I really appreciate the info. I'm going to get my measurements this weekend then give Kifaru a call next week!

09-Feb-17
You don't need any special measurements, total height, inseam and waist. Call and ask for Frank.

09-Feb-17

huntaholic's embedded Photo
huntaholic's embedded Photo
Timberline 2 with lid options and side bags was great for our 7 day backcountry Colorado trip. Looking forward to packing out a Bull from the mountains of Wyoming this year. IMO the T2 is a good option because with all of the accessory options lids, pockets, grip-it etc. There really is nothing this pack won't do or carry. That being said as you can tell from the above post, you can not go wrong.

09-Feb-17
dang hunt, how much does that pack weigh?

09-Feb-17
Good idea.

Ask for Frank or Aron when you call. Tell them exactly what you want to do.

09-Feb-17
62lbs

09-Feb-17
HUNT...... I felt your pain man........ =D

I've heard that tundra can suck it outta ya as bad as some mountains......

10-Feb-17
I use the EMR 2. It is a great do it all pack. I can use it cinched down as a day pack or expand it for a multi day pack.

Try to find someone near you that has one maybe to check out.

You can't go wrong with the timberline, reckoning or mountain warrior. Best bet is get your hands on some and check them out.

10-Feb-17
As everyone has said, find one that you like. I have used the T2 on a bikini frame elk hunting and it is perfect for me in that situation. Shot my bull with the pack on my back.

When I was at the sheep show a couple weeks ago, I looked at the reckoning, mountain warrior and the T1 as I wanted a little bit bigger pack for longer hunts. After looking at the configurations of all three, I settled on the T1 because I like the two small pockets on the backside. The best part is, it's sitting on my porch right now and I get to see play with it when I get home!!

All three are great packs, find one the fits your style and go with it.

10-Feb-17
Are the bags mentioned above -- Mountain Warrior, Timberline, etc. good to use without the external frame? Do they carry loads nicely without it? Have been very interested in Kifaru, and spend a little time on their site. If I'm buying 'bag only' for ~$300... do I really need to drop another $375 on the frame?

10-Feb-17
Yooper...Yes...You have to buy the frame. The bag is useless without a frame.

10-Feb-17
Yooper, they are a modular system, you can have different packs for different situations on the same frame. They also make a couple or three internal frame packs but you don't get as much versatility. They are expensive, but every person I know that has one all say about the same thing, once you get one, you will get why they are worth it! They are also adjustable to the minute degree for very exact fit. They are addictive, kind of like bows!

10-Feb-17
As others have said they are useless without a frame.

10-Feb-17
Oldgoat, I think they're actually cheaper than buying a lesser quality bag, use it for a few years, sell it for next to nothing because you don't really like it, try another "cheaper" one and repeat this process a few times and end up with a Kifaru anyway. Ask me how I know this :) I have a DT1 and honestly it compresses down enough to be a day pack, I don't see why I'd get anything smaller unless you're really trying to save some weight, or never going to do more than a few days but I doubt it's much more than a few pounds.

TD, I have hiked around on the tundra and where I was at it was like hiking on a mattress with holes all over the place to twist an ankle in and thick alders occasionally. Hunt's pack would absolutely suck......except for getting the caribou.

12-Feb-17
Mgmicky,

Make sure to get the 1,200 lid and a 400 pouch to go on it. Everything you "might need" clothing and gear wise can be stuffed into it for easy access during the day.

The other must haves are two one liter nalgene holders (unless you do a bite tube) and a pouch for each side (snack and camera access)...

Kifaru is the best pack I've owned for sure.

Mark

12-Feb-17
I like the EMR2 personally. It is too strappy for some people, but the flexibility is really nice. With the center zip, you have easy access to your day hunting gear.

12-Feb-17
Mountain Warrior with the guide lid.... cant imagine I will ever need another pack.

12-Feb-17
Well, an Exo pack was going to be my next pack but now I've changed my mind to kifaru. What stays would you recommend, aluminum or composite?

13-Feb-17

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I went with the mountain warrior. Was really, really close to the EMR II but I've been really happy with the MW. Received (and appteciated) some great feedback on both packs from many here. You can't go wrong. This is my MR loaded down.

13-Feb-17
Is "strappy" a word? I mean, like in a non-fetish way? heheheheh....

Otherwise..... not sure you can have too many straps...... =D

• Sitka Gear