Treeline 15-Feb-17
HerdManager 16-Feb-17
GF 16-Feb-17
ohiohunter 16-Feb-17
Sapcut 16-Feb-17
oldgoat 17-Feb-17
The last savage 17-Feb-17
09-Feb-17
I have been shooting my 55# Bear Grizzly recurve quite a bit lately and would like input on broadheads.

First off... I'd rather not go over to LW so thats not an option...

I have been shooting Zwickey Eskilite - 135gr and they fly great. I can sharpen them to hair popping edge too I like the price - $16 for 3

I have been looking at Magnus 2 blade - 150gr $32 for 3

Would this be considered an upgrade? Or an unnecessary one?

09-Feb-17
Brad - I shoot glue on Zwickeys on my cedar arrows out of my longbow/recurve and when I'm shooting carbons I shoot screw in Magnus 2 blade. Personally I don't see much of a difference as far as the broadhead.

--Mitch

09-Feb-17
I've been shooting both for over twenty-five years and as Old School said I don't see any difference. Both are excellent broadheads.

09-Feb-17
Brad, I shoot the 125 gr, 4 bl Magnus from my 55# recurve. It is almost like a two blade with two sharp bleeders that does not seem to decrease penetration but does allow sightly more cutting surface. The main blades are re-sharpable and the bleeders are replaceable.

09-Feb-17
try the zwickey "no mercys" I hear great things about them.

09-Feb-17
I was repeatedly blown away by the Magnus stingers this year. Not a one piece but I've found them to be omg strong so far and hold their edge exceptionally well. 3 shots, 3 pass throughs. Like the bleeders to 'mess things up' a little more than a standard 2-blade

09-Feb-17
Magnus Stingers (125s) performed well for me this Season. Great durability and penetration, and a great Warranty as well. Waiting to re-use the head that took my Bull...pig is the next intended recipient...

Best of Luck, Jeff

09-Feb-17
"Would this be considered an upgrade? Or an unnecessary one?"

JMO, not an upgrade unless they fly better or you can get them sharper.

I didn't realize that the Magnus have gotten to be so expensive, though... I have a dozen 125 screw-ins, but now that I'm switching over to woodies, I've been looking at Aces, which are about $32 for SIX. And if you are OK tuning up a heavier arrow, I'm told that the difference between an Ace Standard 125 and the same head in 160 grains is just that the main blade is that much thicker. You didn't mention what kind of arrows you're shooting, but if they're carbons, I'd be willing to bet that you could use the 160 with a heavy adapter and improve both your tune and your FOC. Or go big with the Super express at 1 7/16" width...

Now THAT would be an upgrade!

09-Feb-17
Magnus has an unconditional guarantee and the straightness is excellent. Great company and great product.

09-Feb-17
Why a 2 blade. I shoot 175 grain VPA's out of all my recurves and even shooting 45#s I have no issue with penetration. Scooby

09-Feb-17
I shoot GoldTip Traditionals - 28in long & a 50gr brass insert. With the 135gr BHs Im at ~480grs and 190fps

Why a 2 blade? Because I want to :)

09-Feb-17
Cutthroat Broadheads from the guys at Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear. I've shot 2 deer with them and I will likely never shoot anything else. The quality of the heads is so much higher than anything else I've purchased. Plus, they are the hometown shop as I live here in Colorado, so I like to put my support to them!

09-Feb-17
I shoot mostly 2 blades and my favorite is the Magnus Classic by Thunder Valley Archery. They took over the traditional Magnus design.

Nothing wrong with a Zwickey. Sportsmans has 6 packs for under $20!

09-Feb-17
"Sportsmans has 6 packs for under $20!"

Well I know where I'm headed on Saturday

09-Feb-17
VPA penetrator. VPA for all your broadhead needs.;)

09-Feb-17
The Magnus I shoot are the "old" 2 blade non vented 125 grain. Can't beat the warranty, but price/value was the reason I went with the Zwickey's for my glue on heads.

--Mitch

09-Feb-17
If you're liking the Zwickey, why change? If you're getting perfect arrow flight, getting sharp, do you think the Magnus heads will do better? Best thing bout shooting a struggle stick is, its funny to play and experiment with. It's the time of the year, shoot all you can, then make your decision. Personally, I wouldn't change...

09-Feb-17
Brad, you have to try the Cutthroat Broadheads from Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear, Great two blade head! I'm shooting the 150gr and am amazed at the flight I'm getting, even out of my compound, and they are one super tough head.

09-Feb-17
I've been looking at the Magnus 150 grain head 4 blade for deer 2 blade for elk

09-Feb-17
Grizzly heads

09-Feb-17
I would take a serious look at VPA's.

09-Feb-17
I'd say that's an upgrade. The Zwicky Esklites tip bends so easy you can practically do it by hand. That, and they're 135 grains. It's like to I practise with my 125 or 150's??? I know it won't make a difference with a LB but it gets in your head ya know?!?!

09-Feb-17
None of this makes much difference. All that matters is perfect arrow flight and shaving sharp. I shoot Magnus 135's most of the time because I like Mike and the company. I occasionally go back to the glue on bear razorheads just for kicks. I shot zwickeys before I tried Magnus. Once again, very little difference in performance. What makes you feel confident is more important than brand and design. I think any 2 blade that is 1 1/8" to 1 3/8" in diameter is fine. Smaller worries me and bigger might have penetration issues if you don't shoot a lot of weight.

10-Feb-17
Magnus sold off their "trad" head line. I know nothing about them, but they weren't my favorites before. Consider that was with a compound though.

Hard to beat Magnus Stingers. They have to be about the best value in broadheads there is. I forget, I think my last I bought were 3 heads for $25 or something? Many others well over 10, 12, $15 per head. So many times I've tried other heads and have come back to them. Again, from a compound, but have killed a couple elk with them, one bull in his bed, through both scaps and stuck in the tree behind him. Plus with their guarantee.... that is the best in the business.

IMO two blades not only offer the best penetration, they hands down deal with bone better. I'm still playing around with another two blade..... a VPA.... we will see, I have high hopes, I think it's a stronger head than the Stinger, but a good deal pricier.... we will see how it performs. Have had high hopes for a few other two blades and have been disappointed.

Have to say, I've broken Stingers..... but never been disappointed....

10-Feb-17

MichaelArnette's embedded Photo
MichaelArnette's embedded Photo
I would shoot one of two broadheads. Grizzly single bevel, or a long lean 3blade.

10-Feb-17
...if you like a presharpened head I would highly recommend cutthroat

10-Feb-17
I like the Magnus heads, 85 gr Stingers, but I will say I've had issues with the ferrules bending after pass-throughs and misses. They always spin perfect out of the package, but not always so after a shot.

On the plus side, I just send them back and get brand new heads, no questions asked, which is about as good as a warranty gets.

10-Feb-17
"On the plus side, I just send them back and get brand new heads, no questions asked, which is about as good as a warranty gets."

Or about as ABUSED a a warranty gets.... Maybe I'm just feeling crotchety, but JMO a warranty is there for DEFECTS, not to provide a lifetime supply under completely normal wear and tear... So for me, a warranty like that drives me the other way, because I don't need to pay extra for a head just so the next guy can keep replacing his for free.

And it's not a sustainable business model in the first place... That would be like asking Federal to send you a new box of shells because the first box only lasted for 20 rounds.....

Those Cutthroats do look like an awfully solid head, but I wonder how long they'll be able to stay in business before they have to offshore the production or close up shop entirely....

10-Feb-17
seems like they are doing ok, must be somewhat sustainable...

10-Feb-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll 'stick' with the Zwickeys :)

10-Feb-17
Good choice sir!! If it ain't broke, why fix it?

11-Feb-17
I like the look of the cut throat as well. I've heard that VPA makes the head for RMS? RMS design but made by VPA? Don't know how true this is so don't quote me on it. lol just one of those rumors I've heard.

11-Feb-17
Your Zwickeys were flying fine last night. No reason to switch.

I know you know how-to sharpen them. My beef with 2 blade and COC heads in general is not the head but the guys using them. I regularly ask guys if I can see their heads, and about half the time they are dull as a butter knife. Whether they don't know how to sharpen or don't care, doesn't matter. Dull is dull. But hey, the "internet" says that's what works best, so off they go a-hunting.

11-Feb-17
Lou, That's when you suggest to the using replaceable heads!! Lots of game have been killed with Thunderheads, Wasps and Muzzy's. My personal head of choice now is the G5 Montec. Love that lil head.

11-Feb-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Oh no, Anthony - the "internet experts" won't allow replaceable blade heads. They won't kill an elk or a moose, as you well know! Maybe a soft-skinned deer, but... :-)

For you VPA guys, and I've killed animals with them too and they're a fine head, but here's what your "sharp" edge looks like right out of the package. "Cut on contact" indeed.

11-Feb-17
TuffHead

11-Feb-17
Of course not Lou. I have no idea how anybody killed anything back in the 80's or 90's without the advanced knowledge from some of the internet experts!! And you're right, we all know that no one can kill anything bigger then a groundhog with a replacement blade broadhead. Surprised I haven't been ridiculed for shooting such a small light head like my 100 grain Montec...

11-Feb-17
How in the world do you sharpen the montecs? Thats my biggest gripe, I never messed w/ the montec CS. I had some, honed and honed put the best edge I felt I could get. Shot a doe and an arrow that should've been buried in the dirt was just laying on the ground. My interpretation was it barely fluttered out the other side. Down the road my buddy was shooting the less expensive redhead blackouts (similar to hellrazors) which were far easier to obtain an acceptable edge. Steel stock vs powdered steel.

Most people do not realize their quiver will and do dull their blades. Repeated in and out and never rechecking sharpness.

11-Feb-17
+1 ohiohunter. Even the slight movement from hiking with arrows in a bow quiver will dull them. Riding around o an ATV, even more so. I touch mine up every couple days, whether replaceable or fixed blades.

11-Feb-17
You're supposed to sharpen them?? Now you tell me... You can watch videos on how to sharpen them. They get super sharp. My 2016 turkey was killed because of the way the Montec sliced him up. Sharp head saved a bad shot.

11-Feb-17
magnus are scary sharp right out of the box.

11-Feb-17
I used the flat stone, never felt razor sharp, more like tool sharp. I think the g5 sharpener would've done the trick. I'll keep that in mind if I venture back to solid 3blade bh.

12-Feb-17
Check out anarchy broadheads I have shot them for years I love them never killed a animal that I didn't see drop!! There awesome.

12-Feb-17
Don't crucify me!! I can't and don't shoot traditional any more... But I love Magnus heads, unbeatable warranty, Razor sharp and tough as nails!

Scar.

12-Feb-17
The "unbeatable warranty" is with the TuffHead....cause it never has to be redeemed. Others do.

12-Feb-17
If talking trad gear.... lots of really good two blade options you'll be able to get to fly well at..... trad ranges. The faster, higher energy you shoot at longer yardage..... your options narrow pretty quick.

Some really good options above. But I'm not sure to what degree some have any clear advantage over the other given the parameters?

13-Feb-17
"Magnus.... Razor sharp and tough as nails!"

Which ones?

I got myself with a Stinger and it bled for a coupla days - until I Super-glued it shut. The "traditional" 2-blades and I didn't get along too well, but I'm learning.... I've never hunted with that head because I just didn't have faith in my own ability to sharpen it to my own liking.... so I used 4-blades for a while, hoping the sharper, factory edges on the bleeders would offset any deficiency on the main blades.... I can get the mains to shave, but rather poorly.... Hence the insurance policy.

What drives me nuts is that I've always been able to get a very acceptable "shaving-sharp" edge on an axe with just a flat file. Sharp enough to shave my forearm cleanly, anyway…

I think I just need to find either a head that's made out of the right kind of steel to work with the amount of pressure that I tend to apply, or a more fool-proof sharpening system.

15-Feb-17
STOS broad heads are also good.

15-Feb-17
Abowyer makes the highest quality broadhead that I have used so far. Also the sharpest right out of the box. One of the most expensive, but compared to a yearly elk tag, of little consequence.

15-Feb-17
This is my real life experience. I have made large sample size of kills with Zwickey 2 blade. With compounds,longbow and self bows I made. Several pass thrus sticking in the ground on the other side. Used slick tricks last couple years . Switching back to Zwickey 2 blade this year. Like to sharpen them myself

That's just my personal experience everyone is different or they wouldn't have so many broadhead manufacturers.

15-Feb-17
Nothing wrong with the old-school zwickey's that you have set up. You might look at the RMSG Cutthroats if you really want to try something a little different. Single bevel will help get thru bones.

16-Feb-17
This is straight off the Magnus website regarding their warranty:

"LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE Our Magnus Lifetime Replacement Guarantee is very simple. If at any time you break, bend or have a concern with any Magnus Broadhead, send it to us and we replace it.

As a example: When you shoot through an animal and the broadhead hits a rock on the ground and is damaged, send it in and we replace it. ITS THAT SIMPLE!!"

Using this warranty isn't "abusing" it. They guarantee the head against damage for any reason. I shoot through animals (or miss) and I send them back and they replace them.

16-Feb-17
Well, if they invite you to do it, I suppose it IS hard to call it abuse, so I'll have to give you that.

But it ain't much of a business plan.

16-Feb-17
Good business plan or not, they're still in business and serving their customers.

16-Feb-17
The problem is that the Magnus will actually break...The best warranty is the one in which the Tuffhead will not break. Not one Tuffhead sold has been sent back to the factory for replacement from bending, chipping, breaking, etc. That is the warranty worth having.

17-Feb-17
Check out the Cutthroat Broadheads, warrantied against everything but loss. They are easy to sharpen and hold their edge!

17-Feb-17

The last savage's embedded Photo
The last savage's embedded Photo
This doe was hit with a simmons tree shark..

• Sitka Gear