krieger 13-Feb-17
Shug 15-Feb-17
Bou'bound 12-Oct-18
Dale06 12-Oct-18
woodguy65 12-Oct-18
GLP 12-Oct-18
bow_dude 14-Oct-18
09-Feb-17
Thinking about a new rangefinder and can't decide between the Vortex or the Leica

If you could wake up in the morning with either in your pack which one ... and why...?

Personally I'm leaning towards the Vortex mainly for the Warranty. Thanks for your opinions

09-Feb-17
There are a number of RF threads out there. I am amongst many that are big fans of the Leopold RX1000TBR or similar. Great glass, great capabilities, LED readout, angle comp, and rifle ballistics if you need it. Snap fast ranges, small unit, uses like no battery and priced right. Been using mine for years. Almost worn the finish off the outside.

09-Feb-17
With those two options, the Leica.

I'd get a Leupold if not those though.

10-Feb-17
I k ow it is not one of your choices listed, but I am in the market for a new RF and that Sig Saur Kilo 2000 looks lime it is the "bees knees". Lots of great reviews.

10-Feb-17
I k ow it is not one of your choices listed, but I am in the market for a new RF and that Sig Saur Kilo 2000 looks lime it is the "bees knees". Lots of great reviews.

10-Feb-17
I know it is not one of your choices listed, but I am in the market for a new RF and that Sig Saur Kilo 2000 looks like it is the "bees knees". Lots of great reviews.

10-Feb-17
I know it is not one of your choices listed, but I am in the market for a new RF and that Sig Sauer Kilo 2000 looks like it is the "bees knees". Lots of great reviews.

10-Feb-17
FYI, I know you didn't ask about a binocular/rangefinder combo. But, anyway, I read yesterday on Hunt Talk forums that Leupold has prototypes of a combination unit. They are not available yet, but Version 1 is pictured by Randy Newberg who is sponsored by Leupold. Version 2 is now in his hands for testing. He cannot comment much about them except to say that he is impressed and Version 2 is several ounces lighter than Version 1.

There is no indication of price nor when it will be available...

>>>>-------->

10-Feb-17
I hated my vortex ranger, pos, love my leopold, and still have my really old bushnell scout, which is still way better than than the vortex, that said, I do like my vortex binos

10-Feb-17
Bro in law had a Vortex, didn't love it and ended up with a Leupold TBR, I also have one. Love Vortex binoculars, not a huge fan of their rangefinders.

10-Feb-17
X2 on the Sig Saur

10-Feb-17
Shug...seriously, check out the Sig. I bought one for "work" and the thing is awesome and I've had a bunch of rangefinders. If you are sold on the two you are looking at, no question, go Leica.

10-Feb-17
Top of the line Leupold is my choice as a lot are saying. Mine beats my Leica 1000R for bowhunting in every way except optical clarity and it is adequate in that regard.

10-Feb-17
Thanks guys

10-Feb-17
Sorry about the multiple posts. Phone wasn't cooperating... and neither were my thumbs, obviously. :-/

10-Feb-17
Lupy Shug!!

Good luck!

Mark

10-Feb-17
For you guys that have used all of these. I too am interested in a new rangefinder. Really want the red display for early mornings and evenings. Hate my nikon. Though it does its job. I've read that the new vortex 1500 is much faster than the 1000. Any truth to that? I still love the warranty. Heard a Million great things about the Leupold 1200tbr i and the Sig Kilo 2000. Do any of these 3 range through glass or Shoot through netting? My original bushnell 600 had no problem with either. Everything else I've used has failed.

10-Feb-17
Hands down Luepold.

10-Feb-17
Just picked up a sig 2000 based on reviews and recommendation from hunting partner . Took it out for test 2 days ago . It read trees at 1300 yds and all things on in . Not tried it behond 1300 yet . But what I saw on that first trial. They are coming out with one a little better I think but it will retail for about 600 and I picked the sig 2000 on sale for 339 .

10-Feb-17
I had both the vortex and the Leica 1600-b... Hands down the Leica.. It gave me ranges in excess of 1,700 yards and it is fast.. I hunt a lot of pronghorn and sometimes the rangefinders won't give you a reading on the animal past 300 yards. The Leica never let me down.

10-Feb-17
Another vote for Luepold!

11-Feb-17
Thanks again guys... went with the Leica

11-Feb-17
Hope it was the 1000R as the 1600B only angle corrects at over 110 yards.....no good for mountain bowhunting. Good luck!

11-Feb-17
If you're using the Leica for angle comp you're going to be very disappointed. It first gives you the non angle comp distance then a second later the adjusted range. It's also fairly slow compared to the Leupold and the SIG. I bought and returned the Leica, Leupold, Vortex before finding the SIG. Of the three I returned the Leupold was the best but I can't read its display in bright sun with my color blindness. The SIG I could read and it was the fastest, most accurate and ranged the furthest.

If you didn't buy the Leica with or for angle comp it'll work just fine!

11-Feb-17
that Sig Saur Kilo 2000 is untouchable. People just are not generally aware of it yet. Buy whatever you want, but don't buy anything without handling the Sig. Awesome

11-Feb-17
"If you're using the Leica for angle comp you're going to be very disappointed. It first gives you the non angle comp distance then a second later the adjusted range. It's also fairly slow compared to the Leupold and the SIG. I bought and returned the Leica, Leupold, Vortex before finding the SIG. Of the three I returned the Leupold was the best but I can't read its display in bright sun with my color blindness. The SIG I could read and it was the fastest, most accurate and ranged the furthest.

If you didn't buy the Leica with or for angle comp it'll work just fine! "

Tilzbow, Are you happy with the SIG for angle compensating? If I draw an Ibex tag, I will definitely need something that works for hard angles...appreciate the info! I'm getting one this summer, just not sure which is the best all around..

11-Feb-17
I haven't used the SIG a ton but so far it's the best, fastest and most accurate. The top end Leupold also does a good job but it's display is nearly impossible for me to see in bright sunlight. The SIG seems to have a stronger laser based on the fact it'll easily range objects over 1,000 yards and does so quickly.

11-Feb-17
To add, I used a Nikon Rifle Hunter 1000 for several years and its angle adjusted range matched my pins on slopes from 15 to 45 degrees out to 80 yards. (My house backs up to several steep hills where I can shoot in different conditions.) The SIG produces the same yardages, just a lot faster and with better optics.

11-Feb-17
The Nikon Rifle Hunter 1000 fills my needs. I tried two Leupolds and both were off on yardage at 30 yd. One was off a yard and its replacement was off by two yards.

12-Feb-17
Cabela's had the Sig2000 on sale for $350 the other day. We ordered 2 of them on Black Friday from the side of the mountain in NM after my dad lost his Vortex on the hike to my position. A friend of ours who does 1,000 yard LR competitions said that aside from the Gunwerks rangefinder, Sig is the way to go. Check the prices and you'll see why we went Sig.

12-Feb-17
I love the Leica's optics but the TBR was the only one with a red reading, angle compensation and Last Target Priority. For me the LTP is a deal breaker after some unseen branches made a 47 yard shot into a 40 yard shot.

12-Feb-17
Thanks Tilzbow and others, I will pick up a SIG this week.

12-Feb-17
you will love the SIG

12-Feb-17
Just sent you a PM with a link to one in another board's classifieds.

13-Feb-17
Thanks kscowboy, sent you a PM back. I have a SIG coming. Thanks for the input gentlemen!

15-Feb-17
Thanks guys

12-Oct-18
Its orange in my sig

Great unit.

12-Oct-18
I’ve had aleica for about 10 years. It’s been flawless

12-Oct-18
I have the same question as Scoot. Looking to pull the trigger on the Sig as well can get the 1200 for $177 vs $500 for the sig 2200. What is the diff between the 2 other than the distance?

Scoot I think the reticle is black on the 1200 that's what one of the reviews said.

12-Oct-18
Just switched from my 2005 nykon to a vortex 1300. Reason was I could no longer read yds. In low light. The led display fixed that also has angle comp. Getting old is not good, just better than the alternative. Greg

14-Oct-18
I will bite... here is my two cents. I have owned Tasco, Bushnell, Leopold and Nikon. All have worked, the worst and most difficult to use was the Leopold. Many people returned their Leopolds when they first came out, I being one of them. I understand they have corrected their problems and are pretty good now. Others swear by Leica because of clarity. I am a bow hunter and sometimes a gun hunter. I am interested in yardage, particularly with angle compensation. Lens clarity is the lowest on my priority list. I would rather put money in good optics rather than optics on a range finder. Accuracy of the yardage does not have to be dead on either. You will find variations with all range finders, even within the same brand. As long as you setup your sight tape to your range finder, it doesn't matter if it is right on for the absolute correct yardage, it only needs to be correct for your bow. I have found that small is not an advantage either. Yes, it can fit into your shirt pocket, but holding steady while ranging is more difficult. I want one handed operation, clear readout, not red as red tends to "halo" for me, angle compensation and be able to range out to 500 yards. Any further is a waste for archery. Continuous readout is nice but not necessary because you can't shoot accurately at a moving target. Nikon or Bushnell has a new one out that has a built in Gyroscope that is supposed to aid in holding steady when ranging. I haven't looked at it and probably won't as my Nikon still works great. I've had it about 10 years. My Nikon prior to the "rifle hunter" I currently have lasted about 2 years and my Bushnell is still working after 20 years. My daughter took that one. The Tasco my son had died after it was dropped. Those early models were as big as binoculars.

• Sitka Gear