LINK 10-Feb-17
LINK 10-Feb-17
otcWill 10-Feb-17
LINK 10-Feb-17
otcWill 10-Feb-17
IdyllwildArcher 10-Feb-17
ElkNut1 12-Feb-17
10-Feb-17
I've watched instructional videos by Rocky and Corey Jacobson, Steve Chappell, Paul Medel and others and my chuckles are still terrible. My bugles are adequate and I can do a growly mean sounding challenge but I suck at chuckles. Will a bull respond to a challenge without chuckles or are the chuckles considered necessary?

10-Feb-17
What call are you using? Diaphragm?

10-Feb-17
Absolutely not needed! 100%. I believe that trying to chuckle is the number 1 thing hunters do that hurts them. If you don't have it then go without. Also, have you tried to make a chuckle using your voice? May be an option to explore.

10-Feb-17
T-Roy I also have a primos terminator but I'm referring to a mouth diaphragm and bugle tube.

10-Feb-17
AZBugler I think my voice chuckle is far worse than my call. Terrible might be mis representing my chuckles but it doesn't sound all that great.

10-Feb-17
That's my #1 giveaway of a guy vs a real elk.

Voice chuckles, grunts and whines are my go-to calls for mature bulls nowadays in an area where everybody runs around bugling their heads off with commercial bugles and diaphragms, starting a week before the season even opens. I only "bugle" in the dark as a locating tool. If you want to talk over the phone I can try to help with the voice part. PM me and I'll give you my cell number.

10-Feb-17
Yes, as long as you are working a rutting bull (hot cow around) a Challenge Bugle without grunts is what I do most the time anyway. Grunts can be heard in front of a Challenge or after or before or both from real bulls. No need for it though, they'll get the message! (grin)

p.s. Chuckles send one message & Grunts send another.

ElkNut1

10-Feb-17
My personal opinion, don't bother with em unless you really know what you're saying. A simple challenge from inside his comfort zone will do the trick. I can grunt and chuckle well but hardly ever use it in the field. I will do some voice groans to seal the deal inside bow range but no shot presenting itself

10-Feb-17
I used to be able to do a mean chuckle, then I had surgery to solve my sleep apnea issues. Removed my tonsils, adnoids and my uvula. Hard to explain, but when I chuckled, I would sort of inhale and exhale while calling. I could get a pretty throaty sounding chuckle that way. Turns out, that uvula thingy has a huge bearing on how things sound. My turkey purrs suck now too ;-(

10-Feb-17
Lou that's a nice offer but I don't think there's much hope for anything other than an ok mew with my voice.

I assumed an aggressive bugle would be enough, but it's nice to hear what works for the non professional killers out there.

Anyone have any chuckle/grunt tips not covered by the "pros" videos.

10-Feb-17
That sucks T-roy. I have a small mouth and a terrible gag reflex so if I try doing the inhale/ exhale thing I about lose my cookies on the inhale;). Sometimes I can handle it but I know I'd get a bull in close and choke on my call. Lol

Thanks Will, can't say I know what a bull moan sounds like. I'll have to look that one up.

10-Feb-17
Another question for you guys. Say you've locate bugled and gotten within <120 yards of the bull and cows. When you do a challenge, in my case without chuckles, do you give a growly scream or a lib bawl scream.

10-Feb-17
High pitched scream and don't use it until you're in his lap. 120 ain't close enough. Try to kill him without calls first

10-Feb-17
So is there such thing as to close Will? Say 40-50 but cant see him because of timber.

10-Feb-17
No. At that point you need to decide whether you can kill him without calls or do you need to try to pull him in. If it's thick 40_50yds challenge CN be deadly. I've killed a few at spitting distance in that exact scenario more than a few times

10-Feb-17
I agree with Will that you should try and kill them without calls if you can, but I've only ever bumped elk in deep timber when trying to sneak up on them. I'm not a great stalker. If you have semi-open country, figuring out where they're going and trying to intercept is my M.O. nowadays because I suck at sneaking up on them; especially an entire herd.

I'm generally calling for myself or someone else so if I'm calling for myself and know exactly where he's at, I like to call at 40-70 yards and then quickly tip toe forward 20-40 yards because they usually try to get just close enough to see through the trees which doesn't give you a shot. I've been caught on the move though.

At <100 yards, I've had as much luck mimicking a herd with a spike/raghorn bull in it as I have using challenges. Pressured bulls are used to getting challenges and will round up the herd and bail oftentimes. Also, I've seen the cows up and go at challenges; and the bull follows. Especially when you're not the best caller. A herd with a small bull creates annoyance/curiosity for a herd bull, especially when they're close. I go to the challenge if that doesn't work unless he's already fired up from satellites. If he has a hot cow and there's 3 satellites that he's been fending off all night, a close challenge forces him to come fight.

IMO, if a drainage has 4 different bulls bugling every 30 seconds or less, I think it's due to a hot cow. The herd bull is telling the satellites that he's already fought off to scram and the horny but ass-whipped satellites stand at a safe distance begging the cow to follow them. This is best case scenario for killing an elk IMO. A herd bull that is only putting out occasional locators to call cows to him is not as vulnerable to challenges as he is to herd talk, if you're a novice caller like I am.

But in my experience, usually what you're dealing with when elk hunting is not the drainage with the hot cow. It's the lonely bull or the bull with herd that's doing locators to attract more cows. My #1 goal in that scenario is to not scare the elk away (besides killing one, of course).

I've rambled on for a while, but back on topic, I've only had chuckles help once and that was when I knew elk were near and I wasn't getting a response with a locator and I did just a few chuckles without a bugle and I got a response.

12-Feb-17
I agree, I do my best as well to get to the herd bull unannounced if at all possible, I will admit it's very tough when hunting dark timber with lots of blow-downs & brush. Too, we have lots of 10'-12' tall willows that grow inches apart & to get through them silently is nearly impossible so calling is important in those situations.

If no hot cows in the group with the herd bull then I generally will not Challenge Bugle him, in most cases it does nothing as he's not in an aggressive/defensive state of mind. I generally will get him to respond to my cow calls at those times then go right at him as he calls me to him. Noise means nothing as I slip into bow range cow calling my way to him, he knows it's the cow coming that he's asked to come.

If herd bull has at least one hot cow you'll know because he's bugling defensively to other satellite bulls in the area or to a Locator Bugle you may have given a ways back. This is a great time to get inside that 100 yard realm & call the hot cow from him, a Lip Bawl Bugle does just that! It's sorta a two fold Bugle, it warns the herd bull to stay back yet it's demanding the hot cow come his way to check him out as a possible breeder. This trick kills herd bulls when used on the rutting ones! Do this when bulls are not rutting even though they have cows & your odds for a close encounter drop dramatically. Timing is everything!

Link, keep up the practice, you'll eventually be in total control of your reed & that will instill confidence! Make sure to be using a good reed, they will fatigue after much use. Too, use a 1/2" wide reed for best results for a narrow palate, you will most likely struggle with a 5/8" one! Good luck & put in the time, you will get plenty good!

ElkNut1

• Sitka Gear