t-roy 11-Feb-17
Killbuck 11-Feb-17
Woods Walker 11-Feb-17
Zbone 12-Feb-17
Bou'bound 12-Feb-17
10-Feb-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I found these last year's sheds and they are from the buck I killed this year. Both sheds have holes in the main beams that seem to have been formed when they were in velvet. The buck I killed had no holes at all in either antler, which makes me think that this isn't caused by something genetically. I've seen these holes before in other antlers as well.

My question is, does anyone know what causes this? Insect bite? Injury to the velvet?

10-Feb-17
Yup I believe some type of larvae gets in there and causes it. Scooby

10-Feb-17
Botfly or less common a blood vessel burst.

11-Feb-17
X- Bow Hunter... Just kidding:) Those are REALLY COOL looking!

Scar.

11-Feb-17
Simple. It's a Goth deer. Wait until you see it's ears and nose!!!

11-Feb-17
I will support that the holes being caused by injury, induced during the velvet growth period, blood supply, etc, . Insects, flies, might give one the impression that they caused the holes by boring, but they just arrived, being attracted to the injury in the first place.

11-Feb-17
But generally speaking, I believe that injuries sustained in velvet tend to affect the growth in following years, don't they?

That was always my understanding, at least.... Are you 100% that it is the same deer?

11-Feb-17
Not caused by injury. Caused by botfly larvae getting into the deer's intestinal tract. From there they travel thru the bloodstream and head to the nutrient rich antler where they feed and grow. Before the antler hardens the larvae burrows out, leaving the hole.

11-Feb-17
I second Olink's opinion above... cool antlers.

11-Feb-17
It is normally a fly or infection from a skin breach while growing.

11-Feb-17
Maybe botflies are getting into the intestinal tracts of many "snowflake" Millenials and burrowing out through their earlobes and nostrils?

11-Feb-17
Ok, I stand corrected after reading an article in Deer and Deer hunting magazine, after googling "what causes holes in deer antlers".

11-Feb-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
GF...yes I'm certain it's from the same deer. I posted other pics on the "sheds" thread along with the similarities between the antlers.

Paul...I read that article as well.

Jaq....I think that must be where they exit the body after they have completely devoured their brains.

11-Feb-17
T-roy, you beat me to the punch on the brain eaters. Damn !

11-Feb-17
Do you have honey suckle thorn trees. An area I hunt that has alot of those trees with the long 4-5" thorns seemed to have a lot of deer with antlers like this.

11-Feb-17
Do you have honey suckle thorn trees. An area I hunt that has alot of those trees with the long 4-5" thorns seemed to have a lot of deer with antlers like this.

11-Feb-17
Matte.....we have thorny locust trees.

11-Feb-17
They are caused by Warble flies. Egg laid in velvet. Larva grows and morphs into a fly. Just like in squirrels.

11-Feb-17

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Poor parenting!

12-Feb-17
Yeah botfly larva...

12-Feb-17
Caused by botfly larvae

• Sitka Gear