Teeton 12-Feb-17
Junior 12-Feb-17
RonS 14-Feb-17
Flatbow 14-Feb-17
bigbuckODY 14-Feb-17
Shiras 14-Feb-17
bigbuckODY 17-Feb-17
11-Feb-17
ive done weeks of research on sleeping bags all ive decided on is that i dont want down so ive decided with synthetic so i need help decided which one to look at buying????? HELP

11-Feb-17
Looking for a base camp bag, a back packing bag, September mid temp hunt or extreme cold hunt. So much goes into the right choice based on travel distance and climate at the time of the hunt.

11-Feb-17
That leaves me out, I have a down bag. Sorry

DJ

11-Feb-17
For me personally my synthetic bags sleep 10-15 degrees "colder" than the rating. My down bags are closer to the rating. But everybody is different that way and I'm a little less tolerant of cold at night as I get older. Also, store any bag loose and not stuffed into the sack unless you're on your way.

11-Feb-17
In a synthetic bag, I like the Kifaru Slick Bag. Mine is a zero degree bag.

11-Feb-17
Truck camp bag: So many good options I can't list them all. I wouldn't go the down route and, I've got both down and synthetic. Mainly because Cots and sleeping mats tend to hold body respiration which gets down damp after a few days if the climate has humidity. Where I use them, it usually has a bit of moisture in the air during hunting season. So, I go synthetic.

Camps away from the car: I use a synthetic under quilt and over quilt in a hammock.

God Bless men

11-Feb-17
I have the 17 degree Big Agnes DownTex water repellent,treated down bag. 3.5 pounds. I use it for spike and truck camping while elk hunting. At times I will cover it with a bivy cover if sleeping under a tarp or sky. This bag is slightly wider than a mummy bag so I can roll inside the bag, and has a squared out foot area for more room.

I believe that synthetic bag are heaver than down bags.

11-Feb-17
X2 Slick bag

11-Feb-17
I have a Big Agnes Mystic 15. Been plenty warm even for nights down in the 20's. As long as you use a down bag correctly, they are hard to beat. As Lou noted, store them uncompressed and keep them clean. I personally hang mine and the down stays nice and loose.

11-Feb-17
Go with a quilt. Enlightened Equipment. One of the best gear purchases in recent years.

11-Feb-17
What time of year are you hunting? Where? What sort of camp are you hunting out of? Those factors determine what kind of bag I'd use more than anything else.

11-Feb-17
I use a 0 degrees Big Agnes Farwell synthetic bag. Along with a BA Insulated Air Core mattress.

Remember that some of those bags have a sleeve for a mattress and you will need something as there is no insulation on the bottom

11-Feb-17
For synthetic my Kifaru bags have worked well.

11-Feb-17
If you are not worried about the weight and your base camping. Check out the Wiggy sleeping bags. You can climb in them wet n be dry the next morning. N still stay warm in it. Used one in Alaska moose hunting for 14 days and loved it

11-Feb-17
Slumber Jack

11-Feb-17
I have a Big Agnes and it's really nice, also bought a center zip slick bag after elk season, slept in it a couple nights, really liked it too. It's a little different than the big Agnes in that when you turn on your side it turned with me and my face wasn't turned into the hood. But if your claustrophobic at all, get the wide. The Big Agnes pads are super comfortable!

12-Feb-17
For you guys who have the Kifaru Slick Bag-how small do they pack down in a compression sack?

12-Feb-17
Westslope, depends on which degree you get. I know that my 20 degree compresses way way smaller than my 15 degree big Agnes, but I haven't put the big Agnes in the 5 string compression sack. So it's apples and oranges for me to compare, but it does compress pretty nicely. My big Agnes is also synthetic.

12-Feb-17
Good thread! I'm in the market too. About froze on my last hunt a couple of weeks ago and decided it may be time to replace my 25 year old lumberjack! It has been a great bag, but clearly isn't as warm as it used to be. It's a zero rated bag and it was down into the teens.

It's tough to find a bag that will work in all situations. I may be camping in the late summer when the lows are in the 80's and then down close to zero in the late fall and early spring.

12-Feb-17
AZBUGLER. I think as we get older we need a warmer bag! About 1 degree per year so your zero degree bag will only keep you warm to 25 degrees now!!

12-Feb-17
the one bag that will surpass any is a Wiggy's. do the research......

12-Feb-17
I use a Cabelas Alaskan guide square mummy for truck tent camping. It's a 0 or -15 but rarely gets stored properly so you lose some rating. Plenty for all 4 seasons in CO. Too warm in the summer and some of bow season but it's better than too cold. I use an older North Face for backpacking and a big, bulky, inexpensive canvas and flannel bag for extended trips on the cot.

12-Feb-17
Cocoon man, you just may have a point! You would think the extra ....insulation would help!

12-Feb-17
Good point concerning the Big Agnes bags as Some were designed not to have insulation on the bottom and one needs a good insulated ground mat , as designed, with these bags. Know this, I purchased a bag with insulation all around and a separate ground mat.

12-Feb-17
I have 3 different bags. Which one I use all depends. . My go to elk bag is my Big Agnes Mystic 15 degree. This bag has no insulation in the bottom and that helps make the bag lite. I think 2 lbs 5 oz.. It's got a sleeve for the Big Agnes insulated air core mat/pad.. I sleep the best in this setup. I can toss and turn, sleep on my side and not fall off the pad. I've never had problems with moisture (down bag) and the bag I believe is made with down tek, I think that's what it's called anyway. I believe Big Agnes also makes synthetic bags that have the sleeve and no insulation on the bottom. Your insulation in the bottom of these bags is the insulated air core pad.

12-Feb-17
Getting an air mattress keeps you off the ground. This will help any bag when ground is frozen.

14-Feb-17
I have a wiggy's that I used last fall. Worked great for me as I am a cold sleeper. However, they are on the heavy side and if weight is an issue you will definitely want to think long and hard before going that route.

14-Feb-17
I'm sheep hunter. ounces matter and on my fly out each year I trim and update gear to go as light as possible. I am also in my 60's and comfort is becoming more of a priority. last year I took my Wiggy's instead of a down bag and am now convinced I will never go anywhere without it again. the extra weight and bulk are worth it !!!

14-Feb-17
i bought thermarest neo air X lite sleeping pad well be spike camp hunting west northwest of denver CO from september 10 - 25 elevation will b between 6000-12500 hiking bag is what im looking for 5-12 miles in

14-Feb-17
I've been very happy with the Big Agnes set up as well. I have an Encampment 15, but I got a little cold when it was in the 20's so I went to the Farwell synthetic 0 and love it. As stated, room to move without rolling of your pad. 13 days in AK and it was great.

17-Feb-17
Thanks for input I still haven't made my decision on sleeping bag but still buying a synthetic I've also decided it'll be like a 15* bag and just bring small roll up fleece blanket in case :) so that's where I I've quick totaled in my head my gear for pack weight(aprox 20lbs.without food+water) and I really don't know how much weight I should put into the sleeping bag ?? Looking at a couple like 2- 2 1/5 lbs.?????? Is that to much or should I do a little heavier?

• Sitka Gear