ursman 12-Feb-17
muskeg 12-Feb-17
wildan 12-Feb-17
Owl 12-Feb-17
Redclub 12-Feb-17
Tracker 12-Feb-17
Buffalo1 12-Feb-17
12-Feb-17
I tore my rotator cuff and left bicep back in September just before elk season. Doctor says that I need surgery if things continue to not improve. Surgery success rates on someone my age are not that good. Anyone have any success rehabbing a moderate tear with physical therapy? It kind of sucks being a more or less one armed bow hunter.

12-Feb-17
Listen to your doctor. Success rates without surgery are close to 0. I'll be 70 this year and after next fall I'm probably going to have a partial tear fixed. It's personal but if the outcome is guaranteed to be lousy without, I'll take the chance. I assume you were doing therapy?????

12-Feb-17
I tore mine rollerblading years ago. With rehab, got it back to where it didn't hurt, but I also had an impact fracture with the knuckle bone. It's like balancing a golf ball on the wrong end of the tee, so I can't rehab my muscles enough to shoot a longbow consistently. So, I went back to the compounds, and dropped the weight to 60 lbs, and life is good. The rule is avoid the surgery if you can, so try the other stuff first. I'm not a doctor, though, and my experience may be much different than yours, so only you can make the decision. Best of luck.

12-Feb-17
I am 53 and just had my right shoulder done three days ago. It is the worst surgery I have ever had as for pain. Just can't get comfortable. I had my left done in 2012, I swore I wouldn't do it again but here I am. I am hoping to be able to shoot a lightweight compound by August.

12-Feb-17
Try the non-surgery approach. The problem is the first part of that is basically not using your arm other then some PT. It takes inactivity for it too heal and most people are not that patient. Talk to a good PT and get their advice. Scooby

12-Feb-17
My rotator cuff and labrum were both torn last year on my bow arm. I had them repaired on December 16th. Yeah, it sucks but I started shooting my bow a few days ago! I've been on an aggressive rehab schedule though. It helps that my employer has a facility and PT on staff at work so I can do it during the day and at home. That facilitates consistency and makes a huge difference. It was the same story a couple years ago when I had my draw arm done for the same thing. Difference there was it took a while to get back up to draw strength. In both cases the surgery has been worth it for me.

12-Feb-17
I am 68, I have had cuff surgery on both shoulders. The first was my pulling arm around 5 years ago a really bad tear as a result of a fall. I have no problem pulling a bow, but over the head pressing strength is diminished.

The second was a moderate tear in my bow arm. I tried various rehab, had cortisone shots to get me through hunting season ,it just got worse. I had surgery in mid March of 2016. I started shooting again in August. Kept the bow weight down 55# for the season. I will most likely shoot around 62# and have a winter bow around 55# for 2017. I could shoot heavier but why, I have shot clean through every thing with the 50#.

Of the two tears ,the one in my bow arm was the one that affected shooting the most ,even though it wasn't a bad tear, as the rotator cuff really comes into play holding your bow up. Rehab is everything! it is long and it hurts! But if you do it you should have no trouble shooting again at least I didn't. But, I really worked hard at it and continue to do both shoulders to keep them strong (I am a gym rat).

They are working on stem cell injections to repair minor cuff tears with some success but that is most likely a ways off.

Good luck! My surgeon is a bowhunter I don't know if that helped but it couldn't hurt.

12-Feb-17
Burly: I feel for you bud! I can remember having to sleep in a recliner for three weeks with an ice pack on my shoulder just to doze for 45 minutes at a time. It was very painful. Rotator Repair was good for me but it took a while (almost a year) to believe that. I could shoot my bow again after 3 months but it took me a long time to get to 96%. That was five years ago and I am doing great now with no restrictions. EVERY case is different so do exactly what your Surgeon and PT instruct. Good luck guys. C

12-Feb-17
If you go for surgery, listen to your doc and therapist. Don't let your ego push you too fast.

12-Feb-17
I had left shoulder repaired Nov 15th. First 6 wks were hell. Last month or so doing fine, working on range of motion and some strength. I'm 60yo therapist thinks I will be fine for season.

Scott

12-Feb-17
I only got about three hours total last night. That's my main complaint is the lack of sleep, and being in my recliner. I would love to be able to lay flat in my bed lol. The left shoulder is doing great and As long as I follow the PT and Docs orders, hopefully the right will turn out as good.

12-Feb-17
I tore my right RC several years ago. No surgery and it feels much better after a year or so. My range of motion isn't what it use to be but it's not bad. Can't throw anything such as a ball as it will hurt. Just learn my limits and work with it. Have had friends who had the surgery. Very painful and didn't see much improvement. A bitch getting old!

12-Feb-17
Yes it is, lol.

12-Feb-17
Still beats the alternative by a country mile:)

This too will pass! C

12-Feb-17
I have a good tare in Left rotator cup from work back in Oct-2016, right has had a tare for the past 10+yrs (I'm 51). If you haven't had an MRI done to see how bad it is do that first, slight tares could possibly heal enough to not effect your shooting and other activities, you just won't know until it's healed enough to evaluate, this is what my Orthopedic had me due, good tare in left shoulder took about 2 1/2 months to heal enough before I was able to really use it again in light duty stuff. I still have a great deal of movement but not all of it, and my strength is slowly coming back as he explained. If it gets worse again or a great deal of discomfort I could do the surgery, but he told me that at my age it was a 50/50 shot of getting better or worse. If I was in my 20's/30's he would recommend the surgery, but because I'm OLD, to try PT first, then weigh on options if the PT isn't improving it. Take it slow and DON'T push it! Let it heal.

12-Feb-17
Had two rotator cuff surgeries twelve years apart on the same shoulder, my bow arm. That shoulder is okay. My right shoulder was diagnosed with having a complete tear of one of the four cuff muscles and a partial tear of the bicept muscle tendon. Surgeon says people with torn cuffs can function well with the three remaining muscles. He recommended therapy and an excercise ptogram to do at home every other day to strengthen the three remaing cuff muscles. As for the bicept tendon, I can't lift anything heavy or it might tear all the way and I'll end up with a ball of muscle under the skin at my elbow, which they tell me is inoperable!! The decision is ultimately yours. Good luck. Follow the doc's instuctions and the PT's instuctions to a "T". No cheating! Do exactly as they say, no more and no less. You shouldbe fine. Oh yea, be sure you have a doc that has experience with shoulders. That can make huge difference.

12-Feb-17
I had some RC issues as well. A steroid shot and PT worked for me.

12-Feb-17
I had my right shoulder done a couple years ago,the left in high school after a football injury.The surgery and rehab is no fun but I am back shooting(at reduced poundage).With good PT you should be good to go in about six months.

12-Feb-17
I have been nursing a 10-2 tear in my bow arm for a couple of years.PT and reduced poundage keeps me shooting but I don't think I could shoot a full 3D course even at 60 pounds. I'm done after a dozen shots.

FWIW, the sawbones told me archery was one of the worst things I could do with my injury.

12-Feb-17
I tore RC 2 years ago, Doc says I need surgery quickly, I had it and the shoulder is great. I was 74 at the time. Surgery should be done within 6 weeks of the tear.

12-Feb-17
I have three surgeries on my draw arm several years ago and it is trashed but well enough for me to shoot with my compound and trad gear. My bow rm was done in 2000 but is is acting up again. I am in for an MRI on Wed. This is not good since I have Cubital Tunnel Syndrome surgery on my bow arm in DEC.

12-Feb-17
Had Rotator Cuff surgeries in 2001 & 2003. 100% success in both shoulders. No problems since.

If you have to have surgery- listen to surgeon and especially to your physical therapist. Ice will become you NBF. Throw pain pills away 3 days after surgery. Most painful surgeries I have ever had, but was worth the pain and agony. Keep a positive, patient attitude.

• Sitka Gear