LINK 14-Feb-17
Michael Schwister 14-Feb-17
greg simon 14-Feb-17
bigeasygator 14-Feb-17
Blacktail Bob 14-Feb-17
Jethro 14-Feb-17
greg simon 14-Feb-17
13-Feb-17
I am an old school wear wool and walk out each day from truck/basecamp guy. What Is a good packing list for KUIU gear for a 7 day pack in wilderness hunt in Colorado at/above 10K'?

13-Feb-17
At that elevation, prepare for snow and hope it doesnt pound you with over a foot. Last two years we've had some nasty stuff at 10K in September, hard blowing snow, windchill in the teens. Fortunately it only usually lasts a couple days.

For a reality check on wilderness hunting in September read the chapter on the storm in Matt Dworak's great book "Public Land Elk Hunting". Collapsed tents, forced to evacuate to the trailhead and leave their gear behind, etc..

Invest in a layering system and take a puffy and a good waterproof shell and you should be fine.

13-Feb-17
I rode out 40+ hours of 50-60 mph winds, mixed rain, snow at 5,000 ft north of Tok about 80 miles one year on an open slope. Had a little $45 dome tent and the only reason we made it was the 7 long pieces of strap my wife sewed into the fly for extra anchors. Poles pounded us but the tent held.

Something I think I might do to my backpack tent.

The guys before us said they hunted sheep 1 day then spent 7 trying to survive. No trailhead to walk to up there.

Gotta find that book.

13-Feb-17
7 days. You can get by without a change of clothing but take one if you must. I was on an elk hunt recently where my hunting partner, who will most likely read this and give an alternate assessment of events, had a new set of cloths for each day, took three or four showers a day, had all the fancy camo clothing and even had an ozonics machine with him. I was in my Dollar General fleece and showered every other day, maybe. I killed an elk, he didn't. I told him he was showering way too much and was wearing way too much camo.

14-Feb-17
Bob, I'm much closer to your method than to your buddy's. Did you change underwear or just turn it inside out every few days?

14-Feb-17
Definitely take a puffy and a waterproof shell.

14-Feb-17
Show Off!

14-Feb-17
I would concur with Bob only I take no showers for 20+ days. I bring one set of clothes and two pairs of underwear. The more I elk hunt the less I bring

14-Feb-17
Wow Will I could do without a shower but would at least have to wipe down with baby wipes a few times.

14-Feb-17
I got the shower and weather thing (I went 68 days without a shower during the first gulf war), I guess I should have asked what type/model KUIU pants and jackets should I buy and take along (assuming I replace my current/tried/true cotton and wool outfits) I already have the merino wool long johns. This past year I replaced my army surplus m1950 field tent (50#s ) with a seek outside redcliffe and titanium XL stove (8# complete). I was looking to maybe replace the cotton and wool with some of the new KUIU stuff to save space/weight. Ascent/descend/storm cloud/outburst.....it is all way too complicated. Wool over wool may be heavy, but is always comfy, and does not require a PHD to make a packing list. I could do the ranger school thing and just wear/bring one pair OG 107s commando, and a poncho and poncho liner......along with 5 pair wool socks...been there, done that.

14-Feb-17
My KUIU gear for your hunt would include: Ultra Merino base layers, Ultra Merino Hoodie, Chinook Jacket, Chinook Pants, Super Down Jacket, Super Down Pants, Ultra NX Rain Jacket and Ultra NX Rain Pants. I also really like KUIU socks.

The good news is that is only 6.25 pounds of clothing. The bad news is that is $1610 worth of clothing! I like the Chinook pants because they have knee pads. The Ultra Merino zip-off bottoms are great for shedding as the day warms. I wear the Chinook jacket almost all the time. If it is cold the Super Down will keep you warm, and of course the rain gear for wind and rain protection.

14-Feb-17
I'm assuming you're hunting in September/early season? My recommendation wouldn't be drastically different than Greg's. If you're looking at Kuiu solely and backpacking in I'd recommend:

- Attack or Alpine pants - Ultra Merino 125 SS - Ultra Merino 145 LS - Peloton 240 Full Zip - Super Down Jacket - Chugach or Ultra Rain Gear

IMO the Chinook gear might be a little warm (granted, weather at 10K can be all over the place). Super Down pants might be a nice addition as well if things got chilly while glassing or sleeping.

14-Feb-17
I'm going to take that guy Sitka Blacktail hunting and make him wear blue jeans and a P&Y blue hoody. That should break him of all the high dollar clothing once he kills a couple of nice bucks. With all the money he saves on clothing he can buy his wife a really nice valentine.

14-Feb-17
Eddie Bauer has the Guide Pro pants on sale for 48$. You can get 3 pair for roughly the same amount you'll spend on one pair of Kuiu.

14-Feb-17
If the OP had asked about cheap clothes my answer would have been very different. He asked about KUIU clothing for a specific type of hunt. I answered his question.

And for what it is worth: I went elk hunting last year too. I took a shower everyday, wore "fancy expensive clothes" , AND killed two elk on public land. Both with a bow, both 6x6's. I will also be wearing nice clothes this fall moose hunting in the Yukon. Oh yes, I also got my wife a nice Valentines Day gift. I guess I could have saved some cash on that gift if I would have bought some cheap sh!t at Dollar General!

• Sitka Gear