Deebz 18-Feb-17
KJC 18-Feb-17
LBshooter 18-Feb-17
LBshooter 18-Feb-17
glidingindian 18-Feb-17
donnybowhunter 19-Feb-17
JLBSparks 19-Feb-17
13-Feb-17
I don't watch too many hunting shows. Mainly because in a 30 minute program there is 14 minutes of hunting and 16 minutes of ads. Now the shows are ending with a shot and you have to watch the next episode to see how it comes out. For some, that might make them come back, but for me it just pisses me off. I don't go back for the next episode. Hunting shows going the ways of soap operas?? No thanks

13-Feb-17
"To be continued" hunting shows drive me nuts. I scratch them off the list and never watch them again.

13-Feb-17
Some of these shows cut to commercials and then when they come back on, you have to sit through about a minute of the same footage that you just watched before the break. Hunting shows are becoming like soap operas, a dime a dozen and few worth watching.

13-Feb-17
I don't care for most hunting programs. But there are still a few left that I enjoy. The ones I do watch don't make the viewer wait until next episode to see the outcome UNLESS it's a two-part episode.

13-Feb-17
I watch a lot of shows. I never get wrapped up about content. I like to watch people kill stuff with a bow. Pretty simple for me.

14-Feb-17
The ones I like I tape so each 30 minute show takes me about 18 minutes. That way I can watch when I have time. I'm a very busy retired guy and everything I need to know about which broadhead to use is here on Bowsite:)

14-Feb-17
I just watch YouTube hunting videos, one after the other. There's some good and some you just hit the "next video" button.

I don't think anyone tries to make horrible videos. Some just don't think outside the box.

When there's a group I don't care for, I don't watch their stuff. I use the remote and move on.

14-Feb-17
It's a $$$ business, remember that, they don't care about anything but making that cheddar! No Kill, No $$$ from sponsors and no interest. Takes all the values we have grown up accustomed to and minimizes them to almost extinction.

14-Feb-17
You must have watched Outdoor edge's "Love of the hunt" last night. When I cam e back to see the recovery and new program was running .... some kind of zip saw. I thought that I was confused. Watched it one more time and you are right. Cancel that show off of the list.

14-Feb-17
You Young and the Restless remember just As the World Turns and the Days of your Life are surely numbered, fear not the Edge of the Night as the Guiding Light of Bowsite wisdom will set you free in your Seach for Tommorow!

14-Feb-17
Most of the hunting shows leave something to be desired but they beat the hell outta fishing shows ( that used to make up 95% of outdoor programming.) But the ones that really get my goat are when they start out carrying a bow and then pull out the gun later on to get er done. It's not just lame it is extra heavy duty lame!!

14-Feb-17
I think your wrong. It's closer to 27 minutes of commercials (even the time on stand is mostly pushing product) - 3 minutes of hunting - followed by "SMOKED EM"!!!

The only show I care to see now is Deer & Deer Hunting. BUT now that they went to the Sportmans Channel I don't get it.

14-Feb-17
huntcell gotta find a way to throw General Hospital in there next time..

14-Feb-17
A couple of the things that turn me off hunting shows.

They show one minute of hunting footage and then cut to the studio and do a three minute narrative describing what you just saw. Then after the narrative they show you at least half of that same footage again!! How freaking bad do you think the average viewers comprehension and memory is!?!? Cheap filler if you really don't have enough for a real show.

I was watching a new [to me] show a little while ago. Typical treestand deer hunt. At the moment of truth they show the shooter drawing, from about eight different angles [then cut to studio for narrative] then the same multiple cameras capture the release, [again, cut to studio]. Then that's it!! No arrow impact!! Then the show repeats the same scenario with another hunter and deer. They intentionally DON"T show the kill shot. They are obviously making a conscious decision not to show "killing" on TV.

14-Feb-17
As if I need "another reason" not to watch someone "smoke him" with a rage broadhead with 6" of penetration on a 15 yard shot. Then fan girl out after needing a moment.

14-Feb-17
Me thinks huntcell knows a little too much about soap opera's......LOL. I find myself turning more and more of them off. If they shoot rifles farther than 400 yds. I'm done with them and bows more than 65 yds. then I quit watching. Just my preference is all. If they immediately start the "Smoked em" chants and act like 13 yr. old cheerleaders I usually hit the channel button as well.

14-Feb-17
I don't get any of the hunting channels, but when I watch them on youtube or vimeo the thing that is a huge turn off is when they don't allow the sounds of nature to be part of the video and all you have is Metallica blaring over the hunt. I would rather listen to a conversation, birds, wind or whatever. A little music is ok, but...

14-Feb-17
Oh, and the seven minute montage of old show clips as part of the intro to the show. Add the commercials to that and we're now almost halfway through the show.

The commercials are a necessary part of business, but the anemic, bland filler is nauseating. and even insulting.

14-Feb-17
I know it is hard to get good footage when filming ecsp. when you self-film. My big issue is a lot of the video is fill, it is shot after the kill but want people to think it is happening in real time. Count the arrows in a quiver including the one on the bow, lots of times there is one less even when it is supposed to be before the shot. I agree about going to youtube, some great kills on there and some bad but you can skip over the bad. I like real time footage. Check this out from a bunny hunt we have at my house. This is my from my friends channel and he does some good stuff!! Copy and Paste https://youtu.be/d7PCDNZ41zY

14-Feb-17
Shockey's 2 shows are tolerable and about the only shows I watch on cable. If you want to see good home-grown videos, watch anything done by bowsite member C3. No ads in those. As far as on-line stuff, virtually anything done by Seacat Creative is not to be missed.

14-Feb-17
1) I DVR the shows, like Charlie said. 2) Shockey - Uncharted; some of them are AWESOME. Yes, they replay footage, but one I had on DVR was 2 episodes, 2 hours of a 4 week hunt for a sheep species in a Russian type country. Had to kill a grizzly for food! 3) A few others I'll check in on - Meat Eater & some African stuff & Snow Trax TV. But - all on DVR.... 4) I agree with all the other criticisms; plus turn DOWN the goddamn background music. Hear me, turn it DOWN!

I'm done! :)

>>>>-------->

14-Feb-17

Big Fin's Link
These comments are deserved criticisms of outdoor TV. As someone who has produced outdoor TV for the last nine years, it is hard to stomach some of what is put out there and how the network guidelines continue to infringe on the content side.

When I started, it had just went from 23 minutes of content with 7 minutes of commercials, which I thought was too commercialized, to 22 minutes of content with 8 minutes of commercials. And as of last year you have to reserve the final 15 seconds of your content for the network to do "tune ins" for the next show.

Networks give producers guidelines that have to be followed without exception. You are forced to submit your episode with the appropriate breaks for commercial insertion. You have no choice in the matter. If you don't follow those guidelines, your episode gets rejected.

Outdoor TV producers pay to get their shows aired by the network, rather than other genres where the network licenses the content from the producer. In outdoor TV, you buy "X" number of the commercial slots from the network, known as an "airtime buy." The network inserts the commercials, some of what you have control over via your purchase of those commercial slots, some of which the network has control over, some of which the carrier (Cox, Comcast, DirectTV, etc) has control over.

With this trend that results in less content and more commercials, along with many shows employing an editing style that uses the same segments multiple times within an episode, it comes as no surprise that viewers provide comments like those in this post. Hell, I produce TV and I feel the same way most of you have written.

It is this reason why we are moving so much of our content to YouTube and Amazon. No commercials, no cuts in the story, just how it happened, good or bad.

14-Feb-17
Good for Randy! That is why in enjoy your stuff. Bow or not.

I remember a few years someone posted a bear hunt video where not a word was spoken. It took you through the entire process. Very enjoyable video.

14-Feb-17
Tough crowd. What TV series DO you watch that you think is awesome? I used to like a couple, mostly comedies..... Big Bang, etc. But even they get stale over time.....

I have this thing called a remote. When I scan to an outdoor sports channel and see fishing.... click. When I hear the "chirp, chirp, chirp" of a turkey..... click. I see a rifle..... click. But I like to watch a good many of the bowhunts. Most aren't too bad. But then I even like a couple of the shows on the Food Channel. Alton Brown is pretty cool, like watching a cooking physics class......

After surfing a bit though I usually just go to amazon and watch a movie.......

14-Feb-17
I love after you've waited through 25 minutes of commercials and sponsor mentioning to see 30 seconds of deer walking right in, the draw, followed by "smoked 'em!" Their "smoked 'em" statement almost always seems to be on a walking deer that they either gut shot or liver shot. Rarely do we ever see the deer go down. They always back out until morning. Whatever happened to waiting for a good shot? My list of watchable hunting shows has thinned considerably.

14-Feb-17
I'd say shows like on your own adventures and now fresh tracks have ruined all other hunting shows for me, had no idea what quality hunting shows were until the first episode of on your own adventures. Thanks Randy for producing such a great show to watch, I especially like the trapping episodes on you tube.

14-Feb-17
Season 5 and 6 of "MeatEater" is on nextflix. I cannot get enough of Steve Rinella. Deep respect for the game, tons of narrative, beautiful camera work and lots of tasty recipes to try on my own!

14-Feb-17
I have a ton of VHS and CD hunting videos. They put me to sleep at night. On the computer I watch YouTube hunting videos, mostly longbow and recurve hunting. Even non hunting on TV has way too much commercial time for me.

14-Feb-17
Agree with cornfed, Meat Eater on netflix, they need to add the rest of the seasons. His shows and podcast are great.

14-Feb-17
Ambush you got it right....Your watching a show then the commercial comes on . You change the channel or suffer through the ED commercial then the show comes back on and it's a few minutes of what you saw before the darn commercial.

14-Feb-17
I haven't watched a "hunting" show in 25 years, so no problem for me!

Hunting...REAL hunting, not edited/produced garbage...is like sex; something I'd FAR rather DO than WATCH!

14-Feb-17
They are all pretty lame in my opinion.

15-Feb-17
Thanks for the input Randy. Very informative. Yours is one of the few I try to carve out a little time for (along with Meat Eater, and some of the Solo Hunter, Bowhunter, Heartland Bowhunter, & Nock On shows). The vast amount of commercials & shameless plugs, loud metal music, & "smoked 'em" mentality all take a little away from it for me.

I watch as much to be educated as entertained (e.g Bowhunter & Nock On Tech Tips). I actually prefer it when some of the more adventure-type hunts are shown over multiple episodes, or if at the end of the show they choose to end up with tag soup rather than take an animal smaller than others they've already passed on just to have a kill on camera.

15-Feb-17
I can't watch the shows anymore. There are so many commercials. You used to be able to switch between the sportsmans channel and the outdoor channel when one would go to commercial to avoid some commercials. Now if you swap back and forth between the 2 channels they both have their commercials at the exact same time so you're forced to watch commercials. Has anyone noticed this?

Randy, love your shows and your input here. Is this timing of commercials on purpose so you're forced to watch? I can't watch the 2 channels anymore and have to DVR them.

15-Feb-17
"After surfing a bit though I usually just go to amazon and watch a movie....... "

Just curious, was that TV Channel surfing, or the real thing?

15-Feb-17
Randy - aka Big Fin - Thank you for your comments providing an "insider" look at what you're up against. By the way, I also have Fresh Tracks on my DVR! :) Plus, I'm on Hunt Talk regularly too! :) :)

Thanks for all the great work you do regarding public lands and for the education and guidance you provide for the rest of us on the history and current issues facing public lands!

Keep up the great work!

>>>>-------->

15-Feb-17
So getting closer to 60 years old I would rather be doing the hunting while I can than watching someone else hunt. kinda makes me jealous. when I can no longer trek across the hills I might then sit and watch some one else enjoy my dream. Till then hunt hard boys! oh and girls, sorry. Na, I will probably be fishing!

15-Feb-17
Well...here is my newspaper column from last October on just this subject.

Outdoors with John L. Sloan Oct. 5, 2016 A Poor View of Hunters. I don’t watch much outdoor programming. I don’t get most of the channels that show it. Before I start teeing off on this subject, let me first admit to some things. Yes, I have been a professional hunter. I have been compensated to hunt. I have been a professional guide, compensated to put other hunters on game. I have been on television and I have made hunting videos and I have promoted products and been compensated for it.

I was, for about 20-years, a trophy hunter. I admit to all those things. What I won’t admit to and don’t think I have ever done, is put the antlers or whatever above fair play and complete disrespect for the animals we kill. I am not ashamed of one single piece of footage in which I appeared. Nor am I ashamed of any article I have written regarding hunting.

A few days ago, on someone else’s television, I watch as a doofus, (maybe one of your heroes,), made an archery, gut shot on a 130-inch whitetail. He then, all in whispers, although the deer is long gone, does an end zone style, victory dance complete with whispered exclamations explaining how he “smoked him”, gave him a “dirt nap” and is so excited about the “swamp donkey” he just shot. He is face-painted worse than any hooker I have ever come across-as if that mattered. It gets worse. He climbs down in the dark. Somehow, it went from morning to night. After talking about how hard they “worked” the blood trail, he finds the deer and lo and behold, it is bright daylight again. But wait. This deer is a much larger deer and the shot appears to be perfect, right behind the shoulder and the blood is still fresh???

And I have seen worse. It is not just one program. It is almost, all of them. There are a few good ones.

Now to the heart of this discourse. It is several days into our archery hunting season and hunting seasons across the land either are open or are about to open. Thousands of bow hunters will be heading out, some of the youngsters on their entry level hunts. Hopefully, most of these hunters will understand what hunting really is. What it isn’t is a competition between humans! Write that down. There is nothing about hunting that requires a victory dance, high-fiving, fist bumping exuberance. You just killed something, a living, breathing animal. Show a little respect. Act like you have kin folk. You don’t have to act like the bulk of the television idiots. They are trying to be stars and sell products.

Okay. What is hunting to me? The last and often least enjoyable part of hunting, to me, is the kill. The true enjoyment I get from hunting is unravelling the puzzle. The scouting, determining where the animals travel. The placement of the stand or blind. The sitting, watching learning what is happening in their world-the animals. When the time comes, if the opportunity is presented, yes, I kill. I do not harvest. I am not going to insult anyone by trying to make what I do more palatable to the squeamish. I don’t’ bag, I don’t harvest. I kill. That is what I am doing in the woods with a bow or firearm. I am there to kill. I am trying to culminate all the time I spent learning. When I do, I do have a feeling of satisfaction. Not because I killed something but because I did something right.

However, when I do, I do not celebrate and I do not whisper. I am usually quiet, still, listening, watching. I am not sad, I don’t shed a tear unless I have stuck a broadhead in my hand. I quietly say “thank you” and get on about the business of getting that animal ready for the table as quickly as possible. I follow the blood trail, usually within three minutes of the shot, (I’ll explain why I don’t wait in another column.). I get to that animal as quickly as possible and I gut it. I don’t field dress it, I gut it. You may, if you wish, substitute eviscerate.

But the actual shot and kill is anti-climactic for me. Yes, it is the successful culmination of all the rest. But it is not cause for an end zone celebration. It is a time for respect, reflection, thanking God and going to work.

Yes. I have made bad shots. Yes. I have failed to find animals and some of them surely, later died and fed the scavengers of the woods. Yes, I have found animals long hours later that were still alive and required a finishing shot. My guess is, I have killed close to 500 game animals in my 62-years of hunting life and probably will kill a few more. Not all were killed with quick, clean, instantly fatal shots. But never, not once, have I jumped up and down in glee.

To date, best I can tell, I have killed 19-animals that qualify for various record books. Not one of them has ever been sent in for recording or officially scored. One of my most memorable trophies is a doe that had lived for at least nine years. I hunted her for a solid three years and for all but one minute of that time, she beat me. She made one mistake and I killed her. I was regretful the minute she hit the ground because the game was over and she should have won.

If that sounds silly to you, you do not understand hunting. Hunting, in a true sense, is not paying someone to put you in a shooting house you have never seen and killing whatever walks out. Think about it. You did no hunting. You just killed. Now, if that is what you want to do, fine. I have no problem with that. It is a needed part of this business. You do realize, of course, it is a business. That is why we have televised hunting shows-to sell a product.

Hunting is walking new land, exploring, reading “sign”, and making guesses and assumptions. Hunting is learning all you can about the game you hunt. Hunting is enjoying the days you don’t see a single animal you are after. Hunting is respecting the animals and the land, remembering, maybe making notes, adding to your knowledge of the woods and fields, knowing food sources and breeding patterns, trails and crossings and proper stand or blind placement. That is hunting. The rest is just killing. Nothing about hunting requires acting like a complete idiot.

That is for television…so you can sell a product and make a name for yourself. True hunters find it distasteful. As technology progressed to the point any idiot could do his own taping and production and some woman with expensive implants joined him to become an outdoor “star”, outdoor programming went down the chute. Just my opinion, of course.

So hunters, respect the game you hunt. Act like your family is watching and use all the meat. If you can’t, give it to someone who can. Then, if you want to preserve the memory, visit a taxidermist. Nothing wrong with well-mounted head or whatever. Just be careful you don’t have so many done you have to build a new room, (inside joke.). And that is my diatribe for this season…until something else comes along.

Enjoy the game, the hunt and the memory. Above all, be safe.

15-Feb-17
Tell you what I DO like: when you are watching a show and the guy makes a marginal shot and you instantly see the look of horror on his face, and then it is followed up with "oh man, I didn't hit him where I wanted to," and then they make a plan for recovery. Tells me the guy is actually a legit hunter. I can't stomach it when guys make terrible shots and get pumped up. Who is ever excited that they gut shot an animal?

15-Feb-17
I hate when they say I made a perfect shot, "right in the boiler room". I actually watched this the other day, there is no doubt he only got one lung. The deer stands there for about 5 minutes and he has to shoot again and then has the nerve to say that one is back but I am sure it hit the off shoulder. IT WAS IN THE HAM, YOU IDIOT!! I hear someone shout. It was my wife who was laying there watching and I thought she was asleep. He then finally at 50 yards makes a nice quartering away shot and the says "Even though the first two were good I did not want him to run off and die!" What a joke! We all know stuff happens, just be honest about it and I would of understood!! Scooby

16-Feb-17
Big Thanks to Randy for his input. Yes I subscribe and watch him on Youtube. The one thing I do now, I got rid of cable, is stream through my tv. I can stream Youtube, Carbon tv, Bowhunt or Die, etc. . I am watching Heartland Bowhunter right now without commercials. 20 minutes of hunting shows with zero commercials. I can stop and start shows when I want and if I miss something I can go back or replay the episode.

16-Feb-17
Good job Randy. Another home run. I enjoy good writing. Add me to the list of guys who doesn't watch hunting shows. Even when it is not a commercial it is a commercial - camera zooms in on the brand name of hunter's bow, binos, or other piece of equipment. It is a business and the host will tell you the product they use is the best because they get paid big bucks to tell you that. Last year the previous sponsor had the best product. I guess, at my age, I am tired of being lied to and spoon-fed. I don't need to be entertained. I am not a herd animal. I make my own decisions, and refusing to participate in, or endorse, an activity that is not value-added is the right choice to me. In fact, now that football is over (you could argue football is fake too) I don't watch TV at all. Life is too short.

16-Feb-17
Randy, Thanks for jumping in and giving us some info. Your shows and Meat Eater are by far the best on television. I also can't over emphasize how much I appreciate all you do for trying to protect our public lands. Many of the things that I find annoying have already been mentioned. I do have to say that people shouting "I smoked him" three or four times after the shot is wearing very, very thin! Terms that make me cringe are" target buck" and "hit list". I think most average Joe's like me have a hard time identifying with that. Most of us hunt public land or private without exclusive access. We spend hours and hours in a tree and if lucky enough to see a mature buck we take it. Watching people sit in a box blind and passing up 140 inch deer gets boring. Oh, and what's up with painting your face like you're going to a Kiss concert?

16-Feb-17
Agree, the Kiss and WWF face paint makes one look like an ass clown. It is almost as ridiculous as the inventory, naming, and hit listing the deer, that's not hunting.

16-Feb-17
I stopped watching these infomercials years ago. Problem solved.

17-Feb-17
Well said bowriter

17-Feb-17
I can understand making a buck by doing something you truly like. I get that. I even get all the excitement, that goes along with killing an animal. You should be proud, excited, happy for a job well done. But, come on, show a little Integrity. At least to the sport, and the animal, they both deserve at least that much. I have never once heard either one of the Wensel brothers boast in the manner in which most of these buffoons' do.

Maybe they should give some lessons!

17-Feb-17
Anyone catch any Elk vs Man episodes? Complete hacks IMO, its gut wrenching, low quality, inexperienced hunters, rapid fire, repeated "smoked" gut shots, terrible hard quartering shots, etc...

17-Feb-17
The celebs walk into hunting camp and the guide shows them trailcam pics of monsters which are then named and the celeb makes it sound like he has been hunting the buck the last 4 years and patterning him when in reality it is the guide.

17-Feb-17
I just want to know what do those TV hunters put in a 2-week size hunting backpack for an afternoon hunt?

17-Feb-17
^ the keys to the atv thats parked 50yds behind them.

18-Feb-17
I watch the cable programs from time to time, but I usually am flipping between those and the survival shows on History or Discovery...

YouTube has a ton of awesome content...and a ton of crappy content too. I really enjoy Bowhunt or Die...it's mostly a bunch of real guys filming themselves. They include everything from food plots and shed hunting in the off season to recovery footage. No frills...although the later seasons have gotten a bit more "sponsory"...

18-Feb-17
Do your wives get upset because the "Real Housewives" don't accurately portray women and marriage?

Do they worry that young girls just getting married are going to believe that what they see is how they should behave?

Would anyone watch a hunting show where the hunter sits in a tree and watches squirrels for half an hour?

Why is it that the only TV content that we expect to be portrayed accurately is TV hunting?

It's entertainment, pretty poor entertainment at times, and not reality. If your worried about it being a bad influence on your children, the television isn't the problem.

18-Feb-17
a show on last night called McMillan, and these idiot tear apart a life size mount of two bucks fighting that was in what they call the rut hut. Drag outside and sledge hammer it apart and cut the antler to unlock. Laughing and saying how the owner is crazy but if it brings in deer it's worth it. A bunch of morons, and they call that entertaining, what a joke.

18-Feb-17
Forgot to add, an awards show for hunting shows? Me thinks these host and producers are a bit full of themselves.

18-Feb-17
Just wait a minute here. WHat about Tiffany? And Junie? And Julie? And that other blonde hottie that causes my wife to switch to HGTV ? if they are selling I am buying. That is what TV hunting shows are all about and we need more, not less!!

19-Feb-17
The only hunting videos I choose to watch are regular guys on Utube.. I refuse to watch the big name commercial guys.

19-Feb-17
Ambush described the only episode I ever saw of Spook Spann.

-Joe

• Sitka Gear