LKH 15-Feb-17
Sparky27 16-Feb-17
Tdiesel 16-Feb-17
wifishkiller 16-Feb-17
jordanathome 22-Feb-17
Ski & Skin 23-Feb-17
Treeline 23-Feb-17
13-Feb-17
I have 5 resident points for elk in CO. Wondering where to spend them. Live in the Boulder area so seriously considering 29 or 39. Hunted 39 in 2010 and it was enough to tempt me back. Considering trying for 76 although I think I am a point short. Would love to connect with another CO resident to partner with as I am happy to go solo and have done plenty of it but its nice to have a buddy in the mtns. I am 10 years with no elk killed, lots of opportunities. Have hunted 38, 25, 34, 77, and 78 in the past. This year was the most days in the field and didn't see an elk while hunting. Looking to make a change in location and tactics to make that connection. I plan to spend at least 2 weekends scouting (I cashed in a few too many last year to do it again this year and continue my streak of 25+ years of marriage) and hunt one full week plus the weekends. Any help is greatly appreciated...yes I am an old hand at reading the stats and scouting via the interweb...but you can see where that has gotten me so far so....reaching out. Best case scenario would be to find a huntin buddy to share the adventure with similar # of resident points. Jordan

14-Feb-17
I believe you are short at least 1 point for 76, and 76 is a long way from Boulder to hunt weekends. PM sent

14-Feb-17
Tru dat.

14-Feb-17

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
My partner and I got sick of chasing 61 and opted for a 76 black powder hunt in 2016. I spent 11 points and he spent 8 - it took 7 to draw muzzy that season. We both killed good bulls. Maybe it was just an exceptional year for antler growth, but the quality of bulls we found was quite a bit better than what we expected, from what we had read here and on other forums. Saw 5 300+ bulls, and missed a solid 330-340 (long story). Anyway, PM me for details if you like. Happy to share what I know.

14-Feb-17

15-Feb-17
The most fun solo hunt I had was in 39. Hunted the week before the end of archery with my buddies hiking up from Rock Camp. Had good sign and saw some elk but I didn't get close. Talked my wife into coming back for the last weekend of archery, she dropped me off before Summit Lake and I hiked down to timber line with my gear for an oversight bonsai hunt. Half way down the hill I hear a bull screaming every couple seconds.....spot him and his heard of 10-12 cows. I spend the next 4 hours trying to get in position multiple times to get a shot on him or one of his cows. Just drove 12 hours from MO.......I was whupped in short order. Enjoyed having the pumpkin head scouting for the muzzleloader opener watching me through their optics from the road. Bet they were cursing me.....LOL. Thank god I didn't connect because it was all I could do to haul me and my gear back up to the road for my wife to pick me up the next morning. What a blast though.

15-Feb-17
Ha get in shape, great shape so you can run and jump on the elks back and ride them out like a horse! Hunt OTC and then go to 76, with the point creep you will only get one shot at 76 and hopefully that will be within the next few years. I had 5 last year and looking at the stats it took 6 to get in and only 50% got tags.

GL

15-Feb-17
you residents are making us nonres folks want to go puke....5-6-7 points....Ha, we wish!

on Federal land...

15-Feb-17
18 points for us NR to draw a muzzy tag for 76.

--Mitch

15-Feb-17
Maybe, maybe more. After CO got us hooked on the points, they kept moving the goal.

16-Feb-17

Sparky27's embedded Photo
Sparky27's embedded Photo
Anybody hearing anything about potential winter kill year? Looks like snowpack in the Rio Grande basin is about 150% of normal.

16-Feb-17
ya we have had a lot of snow this year deer are in far worse trouble than the elk but neither are in really good shape from what i've been seeing

16-Feb-17
Jordan shoot me a pm

22-Feb-17
wifishkiller.....pm was sent....maybe two......waiting for response. Thx

Not sure I like the new bowsite PM system.....can't tell if my pm's have been sent, received, etc.

23-Feb-17
Deer will die first pretty easy, Elk second and it needs to be rough. For the moose to die because they can't feed themselves the snow pack has to be crazy big. I think crazy would be triple for moose?

23-Feb-17
I think you are looking at a minimum of 7 and maybe 8 PP's to draw 76 with the point creep.

You have better options for less points in your backyard.

• Sitka Gear