bigeasygator 14-Feb-17
Kevin™ ???? 14-Feb-17
Kevin™ ???? 14-Feb-17
rtkreaper 14-Feb-17
Northernrubicon 26-Feb-17
Bou'bound 12-Jul-17
ahunter55 12-Jul-17
14-Feb-17
I'm Caribou hunting this fall with Jack Hume and would like any suggestions or comments on what to bring and how to make the weight.

14-Feb-17
PM sent

14-Feb-17
Pack everything you think you'll need then weigh it. Then start throwing stuff out. You'll be surprised how much underwear weighs. Also remember that you can leave a bag at the base camp and what you wear doesn't count.

Have a good trip, I made 2 and they were both wonderful.

Say HI to Richard from Bob Lindberg TMBB

14-Feb-17
Wear your heavy boots, binos and carry your range finder. That will save you a few pounds right there.

14-Feb-17
Wear 4 pairs of underwear flying in

14-Feb-17
As others have pointed out, carry some of your heavier electronics and optics (camera, rangefinder, binos) on you and wear some of your heavier clothing and footwear the day you fly in. It's worth treating it like a backcountry hunt and limiting the amount of duplicate clothing you bring in. I basically wore a pair of lighter pants (like Kuiu Attacks), a base layer merino, a midweight shirt like a Sitka Traverse, a Sitka Stratus vest to add a layer of warmth, a puffy jacket in my bag for when it got cold, and a good pair of rain gear. Of that, maybe carry one extra pair of paints, an extra base layer, and an extra midweight shirt (which I say would be optional). I found that all you needed on that hunt was a good pair of leather boots. You can dry them out pretty well at night if they get wet, so skip duplicate footwear. I think the biggest areas that will cause people to go overweight are clothing, footwear, and electronics. Limit those and you'll be fine!

14-Feb-17

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
bigeasygator's embedded Photo
And trust me, they can be sticklers on weight!! This is my body trying to negotiate his overweight baggage (he was WAY over btw)...they weren't having it haha also note that some of the literature says you can pay for extra weight and made it seem like that was an option. In my experience it wasn't an option.

14-Feb-17
It is hard to make the weight limit. I speak from experience. 17 trips up there. Bring 1 change of clothes, you can always wash them. Usually end up wearing one half of the clothes I bring. They have a weight limit for a reason, so the plane doesn't crash!!!! I may be on it with you. Hanging binoculars, cameras, GPS from your neck and stashing stuff in your pockets doesn't work because they will weigh you also. Just don't try to bullshit your way onto the plane. See you on the tundra. Rory

14-Feb-17
They should and will weigh you with all of your gear on. No BS involved. Didn't try to hide anything. They charge you on your checked gear weight only. Even with my binos, range finder and hunting boots on, I still probably weighed less than most of the guys getting on the plane!

14-Feb-17
I am heading up this September as well with two buddies, I generally pack light so... I think I could ever squeeze I'm a good bottle of scotch ....

14-Feb-17
That's a good point of clarification I forgot to mention. Your weight when you check in needs to be your weight when you fly out. So if you're going to fly with some heavier clothes and a camera and binos, you need to check in with them on.

14-Feb-17
Leave your electronic toys at home, you don't need them. Amazes me when your in some of the most beautiful country in earth and guys are playing with their gizmos and not enjoying the view. Also nice to get away from all the electronic crap. See you on the tundra. Rory.

14-Feb-17
I feel ya Rory. That said, I like having a camera for pictures and same with my phone. I also like having a GPS for emergencies and to help navigate country that I've never been. Also, without a way to check in back home my wife would go crazy so it's nice to have a way to touch base every once in awhile. I understand that when you go up there for 20 years in a row, you might not be as excited to document the hunt and you probably have every landmark in every camp memorized, but some of us like to have electronics on us because we may not get to see the country again and because we like the extra security they provide!

14-Feb-17

Kevin™ ????'s embedded Photo
Gear
Gear
The one time I went up there I was over weight by a few pounds, but the outfitter I went with ended up averaging everyone s gear together so I was OK.

What I learned was I took way to much crap. I ended up living in my rain gear for the week and didn't touch any of the other stuff I brought.

I just went on a hunt I had to fly to and had to be under 50 pounds.

These two pics are what I took that weighed 41 pounds. Still didn't use a lot of the stuff, but I'm getting better about packing.

14-Feb-17

Clothes as foam in bowcase
Clothes as foam in bowcase

14-Feb-17
Gator, I still bring the necessary electronics, sat. phone, camera, gps etc but some of the stuff guys bring is incredible. I would rather have socks, underwear, gloves and such other than heavy electronics and batteries/chargers to run them. See you on the tundra. Rory

26-Feb-17
Satellite phones will work however you might as well leave your cell phone at home unless it is also your camera.

12-Jul-17
the season is sneaking up on us!

playing the weight game is fun but in the end so what if you run 10 pounds over and bring the stuff you want. It costs you fifty bucks on a hunt that is going to be over $8,500 all in door to door. the surcharge is not even a rounding error.

that said I will come in at exactly 65 plus light carry on which is allowed.

12-Jul-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
2 trips for me in the past. Like many said, wear your boots, extra socks ect & your heaviest coat with those little things in the pockets & hoodie under it.. DON'T forget rain gear...

• Sitka Gear