Mathews Inc.
Regarding frost seeding
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
kyrob 14-Feb-17
r-man 15-Feb-17
Zbone 16-Feb-17
14-Feb-17
Going to be a nice weekend here and was thinking of putting down my clover even though it won't be below freezing til the next week. Would this work? Would it be ok for the seed to lay on the ground a week before the ground froze again. I plan on sowing it and then mowing the area to kinda cover the seed with the grass and stuff that is now there. Not really thick but would provide some seed protection. Any thoughts?

14-Feb-17
My plan is for this weekend as well. I think it is just about perfect timing. Good luck!

15-Feb-17
it wont hurt the seed, it will lay dormant till temps allow it to germinate , yet 15deg could kill a seedling , so cover the seed .

16-Feb-17
r-man - So are you saying don't spread until temperatures won't reach 15 degrees, say like just one time? Heck we could reach that low when some plants like grasses as beginning to green up in early April...

16-Feb-17
The purpose of frost seeding is to allow the thaw/freeze process during late winter/early spring to naturally work the seed under.

This process usually works superbly in my area. I actually thicken my lawn by doing this every year as well.

• Sitka Gear