KS-Hoyt-Hunter 15-Feb-17
Scooby-doo 15-Feb-17
RutnStrut 15-Feb-17
Rock 15-Feb-17
APauls 15-Feb-17
gobble50 15-Feb-17
The last savage 15-Feb-17
14-Feb-17
just curious of who hunts in pop ups? Ive heard deer get skiddish around them. I got a real good end of year deal on a grounder 350 blind. Im getting to the age I hate carrying stands. So I have a spot that it will be safe to leave popped up. I can keep my decoy in it when not in use.

Thanks

14-Feb-17
Use them extensively for guiding. Brushing them in is mandatory. Tried a Reneck bale Blind for the first time this year they are great and deer pay zero attention to them from the get-go. At 140 pounds and non-collapsible they aren't exactly easily mobile but very comfortable to hunt in.

14-Feb-17
Skiddish - some are, some are not. Yes, you can keep a decoy in it and a chair. If I'm using a pop up that will stay in place I like to put a rug down in it. My biggest issue with pop ups was leaving them up too long and having the poles snap from too much heavy snow, even with it braced up/supported in the center. I've also had the bottom of them freeze in place and couldn't get it out.

14-Feb-17
We don't usually have that^^^^ trouble in Texas, but I did have a freak snowstorm collapse and ruin a blind once. Be sure and pick a spot where you will be able to brush it in where it's not too conspicuous and it will work for you.

14-Feb-17
thanks I normally just build natural blinds. But I got this for $40 on clearance:)

14-Feb-17
Older I get, the better the pop-up blinds are for me !! Shot a 77" P&Y measured pronghorn in California from the pop-up......buck just walked into the H20 hole and stood next to my blind...even I can center-punch a target that close !!...(well usually I can !!)

Joe Joe

14-Feb-17
We have killed 8 bucks over 125" out of pop up blinds in the last 2 years in Kansas

15-Feb-17
I have taken several deer from pop up blinds that I left out all season.

And like Rob, I had great experiences with using hay bale blinds this year.

Good luck.

15-Feb-17
I have had really good luck with pop up blinds. Set them up early to let the deer get used to them. I have had bad luck leaving decoys, rattling antlers etc in the blind. Pack rats love blinds and will chew up anything you leave in them!

15-Feb-17
Pop up blinds are great if you brush them in good, that is key to using them. I use my double bull 360 for deer, elk and pronghorn with good/great success. They are also great for keeping out of weather and hunting with young hunters. Get one and enjoy it!

15-Feb-17
Do you Texas guys have problems with snakes in your blinds when you leave them up?

15-Feb-17

drycreek's embedded Photo
Here is one on a short platform.
drycreek's embedded Photo
Here is one on a short platform.
PECO, I never have, but if you hunt out of one long enough, it's bound to happen. Spiders, rats, and mice are the biggest offenders, but where mice go, snakes eventually follow. Let's just say I ALWAYS use a good, strong, white light to search all the corners and the sides before I get in one.

I have four homemade blinds that I built by turning a cattle panel in a circle, fabricating a door on the back, and then covering them with camo netting. They are lined with black plastic under the camo, have three netting covered windows and have a commercial plastic domed top that I bought from a company that builds round plastic gun blinds. They are the cat's meow for permanent sets. You can set them on the ground, put them on a wooden platform, or put them on legs. I use all three types of sets. Not real easy to build, you have to have a few welding skills, ( and a few aptly describes mine ), but they are roomy, waterproof and pretty easy to move with two guys. I have a swing away bow hanger in mine, as well as a hook to hang my pack on that's at a handy height to reach.

15-Feb-17
I set mine up at least 2 weeks before the season starts. Deer get used to them and then you have no need to brush them in. I usually get one year out of them, spring turkey and then deer season, before the Kansas winds will tear them up.

15-Feb-17
Mid-west bale blinds has a straw cover that will go around most pop up blinds, makes it look very much like a hay bale blind. They are under 100 bucks shipped. They work vey well. Scooby

15-Feb-17

RutnStrut's embedded Photo
RutnStrut's embedded Photo
"I set mine up at least 2 weeks before the season starts. Deer get used to them and then you have no need to brush them in."

I used to set mine out early and thought it worked great also. November 2015 I had an old buck that wasn't a "regular" on my property come cruising through. When he saw that blind he turned inside out. I now brush them in like the one in the pic.

15-Feb-17
I have several pop-up Blinds, but for the past 2-3 years I have been using a Redneck Hay Bale Blind and really like it. Animals do not even look at it and it has plenty of room so you can move around. Actually I like it so much that I became a dealer for them and quit selling pop-up Blinds.

15-Feb-17
I've used pop-ups only a few times, but always in a field that already had hay bales. in that situation they treat it just like another hay bale and give it 0 attention.

15-Feb-17

gobble50's embedded Photo
gobble50's embedded Photo
I hunt 100% from a pop up blind. Put it out next to a clover plot first of October - deer never give it a look by the end of October - & I DO NOT brush it in but I do have it placed next to a round bale. Sublime!!

15-Feb-17
Creek .That's an excellent idea brother...I may copy if you don't mind...Haaa..

• Sitka Gear