OTT2 16-Feb-17
WapitiBob 16-Feb-17
OTT2 16-Feb-17
TD 16-Feb-17
bow_dude 17-Feb-17
Buffalo1 17-Feb-17
sdbowhunter 17-Feb-17
15-Feb-17
I just bought some gold tip blemished arrows that have a wrap on them, along with some new AAE fletchings. I usually only set my fletchings for about a minute before turning the jig (Bitz-single), this worked fine for my old unwrapped arrows and blazers but these fall off pretty easily. Admittedly I didn't clean the shafts or the vanes (I'm currently redoing ALL my arrows I just did). How long do you guys leave the glue to set before turning? My friend said 15min.... With my single jig that would be an hour per arrow. I'm doing a 4 fletch arrow using Easton Quick Bond Adhesive. Thanks!

15-Feb-17
I usually do two-three minutes for Blazers on bohning wraps. But I do clean the bottom of the vanes. I also use Easton quick bond. i use an ez jig instead though. Then I dot the front and back of each vane with a bit more glue.

Got lazy and didn't clean the film off my wraps for the batch I'm doing now and it has caused some problems getting one or two to stick. But seems to be alright.

15-Feb-17
I think most arrow builders have experienced the problem that you are referring to! I use a 6-place Jo Jan Multifletcher for just that reason. I prep shafts by sanding lightly with fine emery cloth. Clean with alcohol & a paper towel. I also clean the base of the fletch with alcohol.

Once I do the series of 6, I'll leave them alone for 15 - 30 minutes depending on what I'm multitasking on. If I pushed the issue (not with feathers!), I could do a dozen in an hour with 3 fletch.

>>>>-------->

15-Feb-17
With a Bitz style jig, I leave vanes for five minutes, feathers for 15 minutes.

15-Feb-17
Ive tried a lot of different fletchings and have never had to leave one in the bitz for more than 1 minute. I use G5 blue glue because it hasn't failed me.

15-Feb-17
x-man what glue are you using? Lewis

15-Feb-17
I use a bitz and G5 blue glue, 30-40 seconds dry time. Haven't had an issue. Inserting nocks with blue glue, if I stop mid insert for a split second the insert is stuck to the point I have to all out ram the insert into my bench to get it in. Never had an insert come out either.

15-Feb-17
Zing primer, AAE FastSet Gel - 15 seconds. Can't pull them off with a pliers.

15-Feb-17
I use Gorilla Impact-tough gel for vanes. Fletchtite Platinum for feathers.

15-Feb-17
Read the label. It will tell you set times.

15-Feb-17
Read the label. It will tell you set times.

16-Feb-17
I found AAE vanes to be adhesive "brand" sensitive.

16-Feb-17
I wipe my arrows with MEK. I have 3 Boh jigs. after glueing the third arrow, I immediately go back to the first one and start the next vane. I have done at least 100 dozen this way and have not had any problems. I do not use wraps though.

Good luck.

16-Feb-17
Bohning Platinum is money for AAE vanes. No vane prep needed.

16-Feb-17
WapitiBob, What brand?

16-Feb-17
I tried Gorilla instant with some 4" AAE's on my indoor arrows, not good at all. I finished the job with gold tip instant, my normal vane adhesive.

16-Feb-17
Thanks Bob.

I've been thinking of trying the AAE vanes, just curious.

16-Feb-17
I like locktite ultra gel control. I used to use lacquer thinner or acetone and 320 wet dry sandpaper on the bases of all my vanes. Many have a mold release agent that don't get cleaned off real well and the sanding with chemicals worked well, have to scrape em off to get em off. But takes some time, kind of a PITA.....

I picked up some Zing primer and never looked back. It's made to clean/soften the vane base and compliments the fast set glues most folks use these days. Stuff is awesome, no more sanding and solvents..... just brush on the zing, it dries in seconds, glue, clamp..... clamp comes off in a minute or two. As good or better than the prep I used to do.

I could probably shoot them after a bit, but I like to wait 12-24 hours before I shoot them, or even handle them much. Make sure the glue has cured to full strength first.

17-Feb-17
Zing primer, AAE Max bond - 15 to 20 seconds.

17-Feb-17
x-man is on the money about the time !! The biggest issues I've experienced are gluing to a clean surface and using good glue that is in good condition currently.

17-Feb-17
I use bohning platinum feltch glue to do feathers on to dipping and go 5 minutes between feathers and have never had a problem

• Sitka Gear