weekender21 17-Feb-17
Michael Schwister 17-Feb-17
redheadlvr 17-Feb-17
wifishkiller 19-Feb-17
Alpineman 20-Feb-17
wytex 21-Feb-17
krieger 21-Feb-17
15-Feb-17
Going Hog Hunting this year. Have shot both fixed and expand heads. Currently really like the Muzzy HB hybrid. Will this work overall or should I stay with a slick trick or Wasp fixed? I know the fixed may be more durable for not so good shots but will a hybrid work if placed correctly. Shooting prodigy 70#, 28 1/2 DL, 400gr arrow without tip. Thanks

15-Feb-17
ask these three questions: is it 1) strong, 2) sharp, 3) cut to the tip design ? If all three, it's a hog head.

15-Feb-17
I shoot lots of pigs with mechanicals but the difference is going to be on your bigger boars. I carry a 2 blade B-Stinger for big boars. This is especially important since I shoot 53lbs in compound.

Personally I would opt for a two blade mechanical versus a 4 blade head. Big boars is i where the difference will be realized. I shoot pigs out to 50 yards and the shield on a big boar can shut down a lot of broad heads especially with a light arrow.

I know you did not ask about arrow but if I were shooting 70lbs then my arrow would weigh closer to 500 grains instead of 400. This would make a big difference especially on longer shots.

15-Feb-17
I don't see why it wouldn't work but at the same time I wouldn't want to injure an animal that could slice me up. Personally I'm not impressed w/ the blade angle, thats my first impression. Any other options on the table?

15-Feb-17
He said 400gr with out BH, so he will be 500+

15-Feb-17
Thanks, guys.

Pigsticker - The arrow total weight after broadhead would be 500+.

Ohio - I have some standard Muzzy Mx-3, Killzones and Slingblades that could be options also. I have a collection of heads that I have only used 1 or 2 and then tried something else.

15-Feb-17
"...but will a hybrid work if placed correctly. "?

Of course it will.... IF placed correctly. But so will a field point. And you already know that.

JMO, a broadhead has to:

Fly straight enough to hit where the arrow was pointed when it was released.

Be solid enough to remain intact even if you hit the hardest feature in the area where you are aiming (like the shoulder socket or humerus)

Be efficient enough to penetrate that hard target (and, ideally, open an exit wound as well)

Be sharp enough (and wide enough) to ensure ample hemorrhage when a vascularized organ is hit (and minimize release of clothing factors).

And JMO mechs don't make the cut, so to speak, but I'm working with about 1/2 of the KE that a lot of #70 compounds will produce.

Of course, all that KE can be pretty hard on a broadhead - especially if there are long levers working against relatively delicate pivot points.

15-Feb-17
Bowtech Given how tough pigs are generally and big boars' shields are specifically, I don't know about a mechanical. Getting the boar quartering away is important, and making the shot low enough to get into critical organs is also. Plus, highly recommend having a tracking dog available if needed. You might make a kill shot, but hogs can go a l-o-o-n-g way with a mortal wound (ask anyone who's hunted a few hogs), so being able to track the animal really helps.

15-Feb-17

Kevin™ ????'s embedded Photo
Russian
Kevin™ ????'s embedded Photo
Russian
Are you really going after Russian hogs?

If so I would stick with a fixed blade head.

I killed a Russian in '13 and was amazed by how thick their hides are. On a twenty yard broadside shot I did not get a pass through.

Where I've gotten a complete pass through on a big Caribou that was as wide as the Russian even at 40 yards.

Russians are tough, and crazy. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

15-Feb-17
All I know are pigs are tough as nails, I'd take pigsticker's advice especially b/c you're asking about big badass pigs. Not the run of the mill feral hog.

15-Feb-17
Kevin awesome hog!! - Yes, that is what I am being told.....set up a hunt in Tennessee. Supposedly Russian and razorback. Was looking at Shiloh Ranch OK but the drive with my dad was an issue.

Thanks again everyone!!! Will keep you posted. Hunt is planned for April this year...

15-Feb-17
Thought this was impressive!

https://www.wasparchery.com/videos/broadhead-tests

15-Feb-17
I've shot two Russian boars (not giants) one with a standard 100 gr Muzzy 4 blade, and the second with a 100 gr 2 blade Stinger. Both died in seconds. The Stinger actually went through the scapula.

15-Feb-17
Wasps are good bh, I love their SST tips.. some of the sharpest and honestly I'm not sure if they could get any sharper. If I knew I had any extra laying around I'd send you one, I shot the boss.

15-Feb-17
Hunter - I think I am really leaning towards the wasp. I like Slick Tricks to. Fairly certain I am going to go with a Fixed head. If you run across any shoot me a pm. Be greatly appreciated.

15-Feb-17

Forest bows's embedded Photo
Forest bows's embedded Photo
These were all killed with cheap expandable heads...... I don't recommend them but they do work

15-Feb-17
What don'cha recomend Forest...... cheap or expandable? =D

15-Feb-17
I used Thunderhead 125's for the pigs I've killed. Put it where it has to go and they go down.

16-Feb-17
If your unsure a big fixed blade COC head is always better.

17-Feb-17
No issues with new Rage +P

17-Feb-17
I've shot well over 100 hogs with a bow.....Mostly with Slick Tricks, but at least a couple with an Ulmer Edge mechanical. Never had any regrets about broadhead choice. With your setup (70# bow, heavy arrow) any fixed-blade head will be fine on any hog.

17-Feb-17
VPA and any weight from 125 on up! Scooby

17-Feb-17
Thanks, everyone, now I am trying to find the best target to practice with. It seems a lot of 3D and paper targets I fins show the vitals incorrectly? Since I have always hunted whitetails I need to retrain the brain on where to aim.....

17-Feb-17
I killed two Russians in 2012 with 3 blade Montecs 100 grain. Only shooting 59 lbs; one hog weigh 300 and the other 250. Had no trouble with penetration.

17-Feb-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Hog vitals
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Hog vitals
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
This January in TX. Notice how forward the lung blood is located.
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
This January in TX. Notice how forward the lung blood is located.
Good call on learning where the vitals are located.

A good shot on a whitetailed deer behind the shoulder would be a gut shot on a hog.

I am a big fan of waiting until they quarter away.

17-Feb-17
Roman I have lost lots of pigs may of which seemed to be hit perfectly.

They are as tough as any animal that I have shot.

17-Feb-17
I have used COC BH's on Russian boar, feral hog, warthogs & javelina. The BH has never questioned me about what animal it being shot at. It just took orders and did its job. The key is have a heavy arrow and staying away from the shield on a big hog.

17-Feb-17
Anyone who has not lost a pig has not shot a lot of pigs unless they are tracking with a dog.

17-Feb-17
Russian and razorback are nicknames for hogs, not species. I think most people that say Russian are referring to 100% Eurasian hogs. You won't find one outside a high fenced operation.

Big boars are tougher than elk in my opinion and this includes any run of the mil fully grown feral hog in the country.

Big boars often have a "shield" over 1/2" thick (I've seen a few over an inch). And that's under the mud caked hair and thick skin.

I've killed a few hogs with a mechanical but wouldn't consider shooting a very large boar with one. Completely different animal than a sow or young boar.

17-Feb-17
NOTHING works on hogs as well as a 160 grain snuffer (glue on). I have mine weighted up with a 75 grain woody weight and 75 grain steel adapter on some beman ICS 340s. complete pass throughs on hogs up to 400 pounds with a 64# longbow. I have hunted a ranch in texas the last five years where the hogs do not want to die or be found. The big snuffer does the job. I also have confidence in simmons interceptors and treesharks if razor sharp.

17-Feb-17
Grizzly head with a steel screw-in insert glued in.

19-Feb-17
Shot well over 100 with a bow and pigsticker is spot on. I shoot 99% of them with a rage and the 1 percenters get a VPA

20-Feb-17
You need to retrain your brain where to shoot........ The same as any game animal when broadside straight up the front leg 1/3.

21-Feb-17
Once found a fixed 3 blade between the shoulder blade and chest cavity while quartering a rifle shot hog. They are very tough. Have taken lots with behind the shoulder shots just keep em tight to the front leg.

21-Feb-17
Bowtech Archer, send me a PM, when I get home from this trip I will send you a couple WASP Drones to try.

22-Feb-17
PM Sent

• Sitka Gear