Elk
Contributors to this thread:
hoosierhunter 15-Feb-17
otcWill 15-Feb-17
thomas 16-Feb-17
Michael Schwister 16-Feb-17
hoosierhunter 20-Feb-17
15-Feb-17
Hey guys, planning a Sept backpack OTC hunt for elk this fall. Anyone hunted unit 68 , specifically La Garita wilderness ? Mostly trying to figure out how to avoid other hunters. I know there are at least one outfitter doing drop camps and guided hunts there, so it might be impossible to get a meadow to myself. Any help would be much appreciated.

15-Feb-17
It's a better than average area IMO.

16-Feb-17
I've never been. but I researched this exact area last year a ton. My reason for not going was a lower than average density or population of elk and lower than average success rates. But I did get the impression that it wouldn't get hammered as heavy as some other places. You can see on GE where the outfitters camps are in that area.

16-Feb-17
Its seems to me that there is almost nowhere in colorado to hunt without heavy pressure anymore. Unless you can get into a low draw area, or private land you will see lots of other folks. an overlooked area closer to the truck might be your best bet

20-Feb-17
Thanks guys , it seems unless you can spend a lot of money you just have to make do and hope for the best.

• Sitka Gear