Frank Noska 23-Feb-17
15-Feb-17

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo

16-Feb-17

Treeline's embedded Photo
Treeline's embedded Photo
WOW! That is a monster!

Will lose some inches with drying and being in velvet. Looks like a really early deer - still bulbous on the tips and will really shrink up. Not sure if it would make 140".

Saw that this one was going to be invited for panel scoring with an initial score of 141 5/8" from the San Carlos. Doesn't look that big in the picture, but hard to tell from the angle. Will see how it finishes after the official panel judging.

16-Feb-17
Obviously shot with crossbows with the compounds staged for the photos so they can be fraudulently entered into P&Y.

16-Feb-17
I don't know the date he was shot and don't misinterpret my comment as calling out this hunter or this buck, I'm just responding to a point Treeline pointed out, but personally, I think it's a shame that there's a season open in the first 1/2 of August. Every buck I've seen taken early looks like it wasn't done growing. The standard for pretty much every other antlered animal is that the earliest hunt starts with only days to a couple weeks left before they rub.

16-Feb-17
Nice Bucks and congrats to the hunters. Neither buck look like they are nearly 140" to my eye. Must be the photos, but time will tell as they get panel measured. Hope a few more photos get posted.

16-Feb-17
Unless there is some serious "trash" that's hidden in the photos, I sure don't think either deer will make 140".

16-Feb-17
Beautiful Coues' bucks for both hunters! Congratulations!

16-Feb-17
I agree, both great bucks, but neither looks to be in the 140 range.

16-Feb-17
All I gotta say is that both of these super Coues bucks will be at the P&Y Convention and both were officially scored by highly qualified measurers. You better buy your plane tickets to St Louis... Ed F

16-Feb-17
That San Carlos buck was a press release from P&Y, but I sure didn't think it was that big from the picture. The way he is holding it there must be a lot of extras that aren't showing. Below is a cut & paste from P&Y:

The Pope And Young Club Announces A Potential New World’s Record Non-Typical Coues Deer Chatfield, MN – In December of 2015, Terry Edwards of San Carlos, Arizona took an incredible Coues deer that may be the new Pope and Young Club Non-Typical World’s Record. “My heart was racing and I could hear it beating loud in my ears. My hunting partner Trevor Chapman shared many words of excitement as we followed the blood trail. I knew I had shot one of the biggest deer I had ever laid eyes on, but little did I know he would be a potential P&Y World’s Record. I was just happy to fill my tag. The terrain was treacherous and thick with dense oak trees and waist-high brush. Any Coues deer hunter knows that such habitat is prime big buck country. After tracking the buck and finally being able to put my hands on this ghost-like creature, I felt a sense of accomplishment and pride. This moment put all my hunting efforts into perspective. This was why my father took me hunting since I was a kid; this was why he taught me all I know about hunting. It was through my father’s knowledge and character that I grew up loving the outdoors. I thank God and my father for blessing me with such an amazing animal… an animal of a lifetime.” Mr. Edwards' Coues deer has an initial entry score that could shatter the existing Non-Typical Coues deer World's Record. Its initial entry score of 141 5/8 is still subject to Panel Judging verification, which could change the final accepted score. The Coues whitetail deer was named after the early naturalist, Elliot Coues (pronounced "cows"). Coues deer are a small subspecies of white-tailed deer found in Arizona, New Mexico and Mexico. This deer has developed such a reputation for being able to vanish from view in the smallest amount of cover, hence the name “grey ghost.” Many people consider Coues deer to be the most challenging big-game animal to hunt. Some even refer to hunting Coues deer as the “poor man’s sheep hunt” because of the harsh terrain involved. Famous big-game hunter Jack O’Connor proclaimed the Coues deer to be “the most difficult of all deer to kill” due to its extreme wariness and the inhospitable habitat this deer can live in. This Coues deer is entered into the 30th Recording Period–the biennium representing entries accepted into the P&Y Records Program from January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2016. At the close of every two-year biennial recording period, numerical awards and honorable mentions are awarded to the most outstanding bow-harvested animals in each species category that have been entered during this recording period. New world's records are verified and proclaimed, and awards are presented to these outstanding animals during the Pope and Young Club's biennial convention and awards banquet. Prior to the actual convention and awards banquet, outstanding trophies are sent to a designated site for panel judging. Panel Judging is a process of verification of the final scores of antlers, horns and skulls of the highest-ranking North American big-game specimens entered during a two-year recording period. A handpicked team of highly knowledgeable and experienced certified official measurers gather for the actual scoring. Congratulations to Mr. Edwards on this incredible animal! This tremendous non-typical Coues deer, along with roughly 100 more outstanding North American trophies, will be a part of the 30th Biennium Big-Game Trophy Exhibit held at the P&Y Club's National Convention in St. Louis, Missorui, April 5-8, 2017.

For more information or to register for the Pope and Young Club’s 30th Biennial Convention, go to: www.pope-young.org/convention/default.asp The Pope and Young Club is a non-profit North American conservation and bowhunting organization dedicated to the promotion and protection of our bowhunting heritage, hunting ethics and wildlife conservation. The Club also maintains the universally recognized repository for the records and statistics on North American big-game animals harvested with a bow and arrow. Contact the Pope & Young Club office at: www.pope-young.org or P.O. Box 548, Chatfield, MN 55923, Ph: 507.867.4144 Media contact Rick Mowery at: [email protected], Ph: 989.884.3800

16-Feb-17
How is the first buck a NT??

16-Feb-17
Second buck is the one referenced by the P&Y release.

16-Feb-17
Damit Chucky.... Wish they'd quit long arming photos so viewers can get a real idea of size... Anyone have any normal type pix of these magnificent bucks... Thanks

16-Feb-17

Frank Noska's embedded Photo
A giant Coues deer I held at SCI!
A giant Coues deer I held at SCI!
Along the "lines" of big Coues deer, look at this giant! I didn't arrow it, just held it at SCI. I think it was 151" or so I heard, probably gross. I love big Coues deer!

16-Feb-17
Dang, Frank! Rotate that picture - you're makin' me dizzy:)

16-Feb-17

16-Feb-17
That is a whopper, Frank! Would love to shoot one like that with my bow:)

16-Feb-17
Wow, that's a monster.

18-Feb-17
Are the coues deer scored differently than other deer? I'm only seeing about 128" - 130" of antler - and I'm thinking that's being a bit generous.

18-Feb-17
Isn't Frank looking kind of old these days!!!

18-Feb-17
Yep, once you get into your mid-forties things are winding down:)

18-Feb-17
Frank looks well over 50 to me, I doubt he'll be able to Bowhunt much longer. Look how frail and thin he is. I think he's also going to have trouble keeping his lovely young girlfriend happy.

18-Feb-17
For sure!

Met a gal that works with my wife yesterday and she commented that my wife had really married an old guy... Made me feel good. Think Frank and I are the same age - Big 5-0 this year, Yikes!

18-Feb-17
I'm sure Frank has a few good years left bow hunting. That buck is a toad!

18-Feb-17
That made me LOL Bobby Blacktail! ((-: You know I have a lot of successful years left as a bow hunter AND an "old" boy friend.

21-Feb-17

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
I even put on my reading glasses to measure it!
I even put on my reading glasses to measure it!
This angle from the back probably provides the best view of all of the abnormal points.
This angle from the back probably provides the best view of all of the abnormal points.
I was actually the Original Measurer (OM) on the hard-horned buck that Treeline posted above. It takes 5 inches of abnormal points to qualify as a NT, for a Coues, and not many of them qualify because that is a lot for a little Coues to grow. While it may not look like that buck scores 140+ from that (or really most other angles), I scored the buck as having 9 abnormal points that totaled more than 24 inches! You just can't see more than a few of them at any one time from any one angle. So add that many NT points onto a pretty impressive typical main frame, and the score adds up pretty fast!

Of course it won't have an official score until it is Panel Scored in the near future by P&Y. Its score will likely be changed a little, since any animal entered to P&Y above the current World Record gets a final score of whatever the Panel scores it, so it's not likely to be exactly that score after a year of shrinkage. But I do expect him to be very close.

I've been the OM on at least one giant NT Coues called to P&Y Panel in each of the 5 Panels over the last decade, I believe, and add to that several huge Coues bucks called to B&C Panel as well during that time. I was also the OM on Nate LaCost's buck that is the current World Record NT Coues, so I consider myself reasonably experienced. And out of all those impressive NT's I've measured, this one was probably the most straight forward and not requiring too much in the way of judgment calls. The most difficult non-typical buck I've ever measured is still one that BOHNTR and I measured a few years ago that took us the better part of a full day to measure! Unless I made a pretty big mistake on this buck (but I even put on my glasses when I was measuring it!), however, I think you're likely looking at the new P&Y World Record! We'll see shortly.

21-Feb-17
Noska, those glasses look sexy, BB is just jealous is all! Sorry for the delay in texting you back.

21-Feb-17
I told you so... Marvin is more than qualified. Thanks Marvin. Ed F

22-Feb-17
I'm only seeing what looks like one "sticker" on the first buck. Why are they calling it possibly the new world record non typical?

Awesome deer.

22-Feb-17
Just recived my B&C magazine yesterday. The famous blacktail was in it and so was Mr. Noska. You guys are my heros... well maybe Frank more than Bob. Congrats guys! That is one magazine, I will probably never be in. Goning to have to buy more of that blacktail camo at Walmart.

22-Feb-17

"I'm only seeing what looks like one "sticker" on the first buck. Why are they calling it possibly the new world record non typical? "

I see what might be as many as three abnormal points on the left side alone (see highlighted in yellow in photo). It needs to total 5 inches or more to qualify as a non-typical, which they appear to do. Hopefully the one with LOTS of abnormal points will come out ahead, since most of us would probably like to see the World Record Non-Typical have lots of non-typical points! Still, a very impressive buck.

22-Feb-17
Oh boy!!! Now old Frank has another "Frank" telling him he's sexy. Next thing you know he's going to abandon Millie, change teams, and go on a long hunting trip with Sanders.

22-Feb-17
This is not the way I imagined this thread going when I started it! Jeez, Alaskans are worse than Californians...

22-Feb-17
One thing about it, there's not many (or maybe any!) guys out there that have arrowed (or shot) as many coues deer as Mr. Noska.

22-Feb-17
You know me Halibutman, remember where we met and what I told you? I LMAO when I hear you tell that story!!! In January, I am just down south of the border doing a little fishing, if you know what I mean...

22-Feb-17

Halibutman and I, south of the border, after a short morning of "fishing"!

22-Feb-17

Forest bows's embedded Photo
I'm hooked!!
I'm hooked!!

22-Feb-17

22-Feb-17
Worse than Californian's, I don't know about Frank, but that sounds downright offensive to me!!!

22-Feb-17
I'm with you on that one BB! Worse than Californians!?!?!

22-Feb-17
That was a great morning for sure Frank! I'll always remember our "low rack" buck, and how I found out about your "fishing expedition". I'll see you south of the border wall in 2018 in coues heaven. Just waiting to confirm the dates with our VERY tall Mexican friend once my buddy gets his calendar straight.

22-Feb-17
Ok, it was a bit of a stretch...

22-Feb-17
Thank you Ike...

22-Feb-17
And the only thing sexy in this thread are the deer! No offense again Frank!

22-Feb-17
and I'm with Ike on that!!!

22-Feb-17
Easy, I'm not 50 yet!

22-Feb-17
Sweet thanks for the clarification.

22-Feb-17
I gotta do this soon! What's a kidney worth down there I wonder?

23-Feb-17
Don't be scared Nick!

• Sitka Gear