SDHNTR(home) 16-Feb-17
ElkNut1 16-Feb-17
Ermine 16-Feb-17
kota-man 16-Feb-17
mrelite 16-Feb-17
SDHNTR(home) 16-Feb-17
mrelite 16-Feb-17
16-Feb-17
Anyone put one to work much yet? I know this is a relatively new pack but I'm considering it. I like a load sling to pack meat with the load sandwiched. As such, this pack has me intrigued. I got rid of my DT1 because it was such a PITA to detach, pack in a sandwiched load, and reattach. It took too long and the load was either not secure at the top of the bag or I'd rip the skin off my fingers to get the hypalon sleeve back on. So is the new Reckoning easier and faster to load in this manner? Any pics?

16-Feb-17
Anyone put one to work much yet? I know this is a relatively new pack but I'm considering it. I like a load sling to pack meat with the load sandwiched. As such, this pack has me intrigued. I got rid of my DT1 because it was such a PITA to detach, pack in a sandwiched load, and reattach. It took too long and the load was either not secure at the top of the bag or I'd rip the skin off my fingers to get the hypalon sleeve back on. So is the new Reckoning easier and faster to load in this manner? Any pics?

16-Feb-17
I haven't used that pack but it sounds like you just described the Exo Pack? This one I have used many times with small & large loads. Love the meat sling & how fast & easy it is to unhinge & sandwhich meat in elk bags to it between frame & main bag. If reckoning performs as that then you should like it!

ElkNut1

16-Feb-17
I'm using the EMR 2. I cut the batwings off. So it's similar to the reckoning but not. Ha

16-Feb-17
I've used mine a little. I am NOT a meat shelf guy myself. My meat goes in the pack, so the DT1 is a favorite of mine, along with the AMR. For large Kifaru's I'm currently running a DT1, Mountain Warrior, Argali, AMR and a Reckoning. Each pack has its advantages, but one thing I'm not a fan of on the Reckoning (and wasn't on the EMR2) is the horizontal straps. I just prefer a pack with no horizontal straps.

Now, with all that said, the Reckoning is another great pack by Kifaru. The center zip is awesome. (but with a center zip comes horizontal straps) For someone that likes a meat shelf, the design and accessability of this one is nice. I also really like the fold top allowing the pack to be run without a lid in daypack mode.

I'm trying to figure out which pack will be going with me on a back pack grizz hunt in AK in May and am leaning towards taking my AMR. The AMR is a beast of a pack that cinches down nicely in daypack mode. For me the Reckoning was an "impulse" buy that I'm not sure I'll have a use for considering the other packs I have. Kifaru is all about finding a bag that has the features that "float your boat". They're all good.

16-Feb-17

mrelite's embedded Photo
Day mode without a scope attached
mrelite's embedded Photo
Day mode without a scope attached
mrelite's embedded Photo
With a scope, I don't have a quick connect on this crappy tripod so I just leave it on, a quick release would make for it more compact by putting them side by side
mrelite's embedded Photo
With a scope, I don't have a quick connect on this crappy tripod so I just leave it on, a quick release would make for it more compact by putting them side by side
mrelite's embedded Photo
Here it is with the scope inside the middle section.
mrelite's embedded Photo
Here it is with the scope inside the middle section.
I picked up the Reckoning and have used it a quite a bit in day mode and it absolutely kicks ass on my old T-2. While I haven't taken it out for an extended stay I have packed it up like I was headed out for a 6-7 day winter outing and it handled all the gear easily and without a lid, at this point I could care less about a lid since I have no need to have one in day mode since I set it up with side pockets and the center being so easy to get to in day mode. I also don't think I will ever use the meat shelf but the option is there if I choose to use it, seems easy but have never used one. The versatility of this pack is pretty cool, there are lots of ways to set it up the way you want it. In day mode I choose to work out of the center and bottom of the pack so I put a few items that I don't ever need fast in the side pockets and strap them down tight which really streamlines the pack. The middle section has its own straps which I have found to be very useful for strapping the spotting scope and tripod in day mode for super fast deployment.

16-Feb-17
Thanks Guys. Elknut, I had an EXO, and really liked it. No beefs at all, but I sold it as it seemed redundant with other packs I own. Kota, thanks. I actually like the horizontal straps and the ability to fin tune the compression. Mrelite, thanks, very helpful. Do you happen to have any pics of it with a sandwiched load? Particularly of the top of the pack and how you secure the top of the pack back to the frame?

16-Feb-17

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
This is the pack full of my hunting gear plus a bunch of winter gear, for me this pack has plenty of room for a 10 day September hunt.
mrelite's embedded Photo
This is the pack full of my hunting gear plus a bunch of winter gear, for me this pack has plenty of room for a 10 day September hunt.
I don't, but all you would do is take the females buckle off of the bag and attach them to the frame then just attach the straps from the bag to the frame, kind of like this pic but maybe not crossed. So there are two bottom attachments for the shelf, two straps on the bottom, 3 on each side and two at the top, I imagine that is enough to strap whatever down fairly well.

without the winter gear I could put the tent in the bag and strap a bow to the back by placing the cam in the back small pocket

• Sitka Gear