Contributors to this thread:
Mike-TN 17-Feb-17
LINK 17-Feb-17
wilbur 17-Feb-17
Mike-TN 17-Feb-17
Oryx35 17-Feb-17
IowaHawkeye 17-Feb-17
17-Feb-17
I spent a little time on their website (not much) trying to determine how NM distributes their bear tags. I looked long enough to figure there was a draw for bear. Are all tags given out by drawing? Do they have any leftover tags? Thinking about getting one if I draw an elk tag but that would not be feasible if they are totally on a draw basis considering the uncertainty of the elk tag. Thanks Mike

17-Feb-17
The units I've hunted were otc on a quota basis. Shouldn't be a problem.

17-Feb-17
You can buy bear tags OTC but be forewarned. NM uses a running tally for their bear harvest. They set a limit as to how many bears they want to harvest in any given unit. As bears are taken they are tallied. Any bear mortality is applied to the aggregate number. Road kill, livestock protection, CO calls/killing all add up. Once the number is reached the season is closed. You need to call daily to see if your tag is still good. Units with good bear numbers close quickly. If you are going to be elk hunting early archery season most likely your tag will be good. Second archery, early muzzle loader, chances are the quoted will be met.

Call an outfitter that guides in the unit you want to hunt in. Pick his brain, he will have additional information.

17-Feb-17
Very helpful and Much appreciated !

Thanks

17-Feb-17
wilbur's information is dated. NMDGF changed the way they counted the tally a few years ago. They still use a quota approach; however, only sport harvest counts toward the limit. Obviously the closure date depends on a number of factors but last year most units were open well past the archery seasons. Zone 7 closed 8/25 Zone 12 closed 10/31 Zone 14 closed 11/3

17-Feb-17

IowaHawkeye's embedded Photo
IowaHawkeye's embedded Photo
My buddy and I did that exact thing 2 years ago. We were heading out a few days before elk opened so we bought bear tags otc to have something to hunt we scouted. Make sure you buy them a couple days ahead of time. Always wanted a color phase.

• Sitka Gear