cnelk 17-Feb-17
Treeline 17-Feb-17
Paul@thefort 17-Feb-17
trackman 17-Feb-17
Treeline 17-Feb-17
squirrel 18-Feb-17
LKH 18-Feb-17
17-Feb-17
I've been looking at the CO snow pack and it's pretty obvious that this could be a bad year for the deer. In MN I'm too familiar with what this means for our northern MN deer. Most of the old bucks dead, near 100% fawn loss.

I was looking at an early season rifle muley hunt but am not sure I want to burn my points if they have a high loss winter.

For those in the know, what happens in CO? By area if you know please.

17-Feb-17
Statewide pretty high snowfall. Had a rough January, especially in the Gunnison Basin and SW corner of the state and probably lost some deer down on those wintering grounds. Have had a warm up in February that has reopened a lot of areas for the deer across the state. Does not seem like the winter grounds in Eagle County, along the Arkansas or Colorado Rivers, or in NW Colorado are in bad shape. Not sure about the San Luis valley or the other country down south, but that country usually does pretty well for winters.

Here is a link to the current snow water equivalent map:

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/states/co/snow/state/daily/co_update_snow.pdf

17-Feb-17
I am going to watch all CPW news releases/weather and by the time applications are due we should hear/know what the winter kill numbers are like

17-Feb-17
CPW typically under reports winter kill. I know they were way off in '08 and, based on what I have been hearing for this year are already under counting the dead deer.

I am out and about in NW Colorado and back and forth to Denver/Grand Junction plus out around Craig so get a pretty good feel for what is going on up this way. Might run out to the Green in a week or two to see how things look even further out. Have good friends in Gunnison/Montrose and relatives in Crawford that I talk to pretty regular to keep tabs on how the deer are faring.

17-Feb-17
You can read a current CPW report on their website concerning snowfall and deer and elk in parts of Colorado.

17-Feb-17
treeline where do you get your TYPICALLY info from. you should put you feet on the ground and see for your self i was there in 08 feeding where were you ???

17-Feb-17
Lyle,

Typically - based on what my friends and relatives that have lived all or most of their lives in Gunnison County.

In '08-'10 was working between Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado. Sorry I could not be there to help feed the deer in '08.

18-Feb-17
Very odd year but heavy snowpack and tough winter are not synonymous here, snow is all up high, where the deer are is looking good. CPW may be your best source for info but I wouldn't bet any farms on it, they are in the business of selling tags after all... usually they are at least a year behind, and that is being generous.

18-Feb-17
Thanks for the replies. It appears there is no comprehensive answer. Glad to hear the lower altitudes have lost some snow.

• Sitka Gear