Kevin™ 18-Feb-17
INbowdude 19-Feb-17
woodguy65 19-Feb-17
Bullshooter 19-Feb-17
woodguy65 19-Feb-17
18-Feb-17

woodguy65's embedded Photo
woodguy65's embedded Photo
So I shot a boar that weighed 155lbs. I've heard the meat can be rank on a bigger boar.

I can't smell anything bad on it thus far. I want to smoke a bone in ham low and slow. I'm good on the time, temp, type of wood and rub. I have a Cookshack Amerique electric smoker with a digital probe.

My question for guys that have smoked big boars successfully, did you trim the fat or leave it on? If it were domestic I would certainly leave on.

Did you wrap in bacon?

Did you inject/brine or give it an ice bath to draw blood out?

Did you leave the bone in or take it out?

18-Feb-17
You might cook a small piece of the meat and see how it tastes - would be a shame to go through all the work to learn the meat was bad. At that size, it shouldn't be.

18-Feb-17
We've shot a bunch of hogs >150# (boars and does) over the years and never had one taste bad.

Use your rub of choice and put it the pit with the "fattiest side" down until the fat begins to render out. Remove from pit to wrap with foil then put back on the heat to finish the smoking or BBQ process.

18-Feb-17

SILVERADO's embedded Photo
SILVERADO's embedded Photo
That doesn't seem that big to me. My last was 320 and all of it tasted fine. All about the prep. Low and slow should be fine. Mine was delicious even the picky wife enjoyed it.

18-Feb-17

Rocky D's Link
I have friends that eat lots of them that size. Normally they soak it in a brine solution.

18-Feb-17
150# is not that big of a deal taste wise . When 200# + I think where taste may become of concern. Like it has been said- cook low & slow.

Congrats on a nice hog and enjoy the feast !!

18-Feb-17
The "boar taint" smell would be present when you killed and gutted the hog. So if you didn't smell it then the meat should be fine.

I've smelled it in a couple of big boars shot by hunting buddies. The musky nastyness smells so bad. One buddy said Everytime he cooked that hog the smell came back. No thank you. I'll stick to meat boars and sows.

Let us know how your cooking project goes.

Good luck!

Kevin

19-Feb-17
Thanks for the link Rocky. Gives me a good idea on what to do.

19-Feb-17
I should have mentioned this was a free range intact boar not a high fence castrated boar, if that makes a difference.

19-Feb-17
I cut off the fat. It doesn't taste nearly as good as domestic pork fat.

19-Feb-17
Thanks Bullshooter that's the kind of info I'm looking for.

• Sitka Gear