Jaquomo 18-Feb-17
Paul@thefort 18-Feb-17
Royboy 18-Feb-17
LKH 19-Feb-17
ElkNut1 19-Feb-17
Royboy 20-Feb-17
Royboy 20-Feb-17
18-Feb-17
For some reason I never thought of the possibility of getting winded by our elk. I guide on a ranch and we usually start our morning on a rimrock bluff about 500' above the alfalfa fields watching as the elk head up and out for the day. I realize the early morning thermals are heading down but wondering if the elk wind us at some point. I've hunted elk for 30 years and guided for 2 and this is how I was taught to hunt this ranch but now it seems to be the wrong way. I think about the wind every moment on the hunt. Fred

18-Feb-17
Fred, sometime before the season starts take a fee little smoke bombs (fireworks stand type) up to that bluff and watch what the thermals do at different times of day. Might be a real eye opener.

18-Feb-17
You state, " I realize the early morning thermals are heading down". Some times down and some times across. Maybe your rim rock observation spot is across the valley and opposite the alfalfa fields and sightly down valley and down wind (prevailing wind) from the elk. Seeking a high advantage point is a good thing if one is careful and does not get sky lighted, and then making a plan for the shot or stalk, or ambush later. Are these gun or bow hunters you are guiding?

18-Feb-17
I will try the smoke bombs. Mostly bow hunters so once we see which direction they're headed we try to ambush. Not to many elk stay on the ranch after the rut so makes for a tough rifle hunt

19-Feb-17
On a cow elk hunt in WY we had about 300 elk bedded up spread up a long slope. They were spread about 1/2 mile. The client was in poor health and my only choice was to go upwind of them about 1/2 mile to try and get in range for a rifle shot

The wind was about 5-8 mph. I thought being so far away might give us a chance. After we were part way, you could see them raise their heads in almost a wave as our scent moved into them. They got up and slowly, while looking for us, walked over the ridge and out of our hunt.

19-Feb-17
Are you saying in all the years you've hunted the ranch that wind hasn't been an issue from your glassing point? If it hasn't I doubt all of a sudden it is now? No doubt wind can differ from day to day especially with unpredictable weather but for the most part 500' higher in elevation is pretty high & generally wouldn't cause issues with being winded. -- Is there a way to make sure your scent is not going straight at them just to make sure? I'd be more concerned with that thought since daily wind patterns can change.

Too, if not an issue in the past look for other reasons such as elk spotted movement from above where you guys are glassing or if you called from that bluff & the elk look up there & see nothing this can also cause alarm especially if it becomes a pattern by hunters! Outside of that monitor that wind religiously with a wind checker from your spot & as you close the distance for your ambush. You may only see the wind going down a 100 yards away but it can give a pretty fair assessment of its direction. Good luck, sounds like a fairly simple fix.

ElkNut1

20-Feb-17
Elknut1 what I stated was I've hunted elk 30 years and guided the last 2 on this ranch. I have only been on this ranch for 2 years. We don't call from there we just make a game plan depending on their direction. Sometimes they seem in more of a hurry than they should be. I will be more aware of the wind and besides the smoke bomb trick I can stake some wind indicators down near the elk we can spot from the bluff( just thought of that).

20-Feb-17

Royboy's embedded Photo
The view from the bluff
Royboy's embedded Photo
The view from the bluff

• Sitka Gear