Bigdan 20-Feb-17
Fulldraw1972 20-Feb-17
Jaquomo 20-Feb-17
Deertick 20-Feb-17
PECO 20-Feb-17
luckyleo 20-Feb-17
midwest 20-Feb-17
19-Feb-17
As a 50 year old bow hunter with 3 years of experience in elk hunting Colorado. I have one preference point at this time. i would like to hunt once or twice in my life in a little bit better unit than I have been hunting in. Leading to my ? At 50 years and 0 points what states would you start to apply in. I would like to continue hunt elk in at least one state a year from here til the day I die. This shit is fun. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Leo

19-Feb-17
With zero points I would recommend applying in a state with a straight up random draw for everyone like Idaho. Forget States like Utah. The odds for non-residents are ridiculous. Do some research on sites like toprut.com.

19-Feb-17
All of them. When you're 90 and can't wander the elk mountains anymore, all the money in the world will be worth squat.

NV, NM, CA, AZ, and UT are the best states to have an elk tag in. CO, WY, MT, ID, OR, WA, KY, AK, are good too.

It'll cost you $1500/yr to put in for 30 tags in the west. It'll cost you $1000/yr to put in for 20 and that includes 9 elk tags.

If you really want to hunt, luck favors the persistent.

19-Feb-17
First, be younger. Go check the number of people with way more points than you in CO. There are hundreds and the top few units only have a minuscule number of permits each year. Do WY general tags, Montana and Idaho.

I'm 69 and have 18 deer and elk in CO and will never hunt any of the top units. They got us hooked on the preference points and then started moving the goalposts.

19-Feb-17
CA on the A list, please explain that one.

20-Feb-17
CA has some of the best elk tags in the country. If you're looking at the average tag by state, CA and NV are the top 2. They may not have the best odds or be the best bang-for-the-buck, but if I had a choice as to where I'd have a random elk tag, CA and NV would be my choice.

20-Feb-17
My point was, if you put in for all of them, the best tags are in the Southwest. CA not be a good place to put in, but if you put in for all of them, that's where the best tags are. My point wasn't where the best bang for the buck is. That's a different discussion.

20-Feb-17
My point was, if you put in for all of them, the best tags are in the Southwest. CA (edit) may (end edit) not be a good place to put in, but if you put in for all of them, that's where the best tags are. My point wasn't where the best bang for the buck is. That's a different discussion.

20-Feb-17
Based on the quality of the tags. CA gives less tags per unit than any other state and has the best average trophy quality per tag, period. Perhaps I shouldn't have derailed the thread with the comment, but I maintain that the average CA elk tag is better than any other state's tag, with the only possible exception being Nevada.

CA has the best Roosy tags in the country, the only Tule tags in the country, and some amazing American elk come out of the NE corner of the state. Are the tags plentiful? No. But my original statement was this: "NV, NM, CA, AZ, and UT are the best states to have an elk tag in." And that is the truth. And if you're putting in everywhere, CA makes the A list.

EDIT: Realize that I was listing every state where a NR can apply as my entire point was that, if you really want to hunt elk, you should apply everywhere, as I and others do. And then I listed the quality of the average tag in said state, which is why CA made the A list.

20-Feb-17
Southwest = southwest US, meaning NV, UT, AZ, NM, and CA. Learn to read punctuation. The southwest US is where most of the best elk tags are.

20-Feb-17
EDIT: I apologize to November and to the Bowsite community for getting into this pissing match.

20-Feb-17
First of all, Idyll knows this stuff. . . . I have no idea if he's right about the CA elk tag because I've never researched it. I don't do California draws. :)

Secondly, if I was 50 and starting, I would do the random draw states of NM and ID every year (as a disclaimer, I've never put in for an ID tag of any type, I've thought about it though, and researched it a little).

Then, I'd definitely do WY. I'd think real hard about NV, UT and AZ, just because of cost. If cost isn't an issue, then I'd do all three. If cost was an issue, I'd prioritize. NV first because it's true bonus and you could draw in year 1 ( I drew in year 8 and crashed and burned pretty spectacularly over 13 days of hunting). UT second, as they do have a literal handful of NR random tags, and you could also theoretically draw there in year 1. Arizona third, as it's mostly preference based, except for a couple of low tier hunts, and it's impossible to draw in year 1 in the mid to high tier units because there's no NR tags left for the 20% pass (as I understand it).

I don't do MT for elk as I don't understand the drawing for a general, then applying for a unit, and only getting 85% of the cost back thing. . . . I've researched it a few times, and can't wrap my thick head around that. . .

I don't do CO, as I can't catch up, even at 35 years old. I have no desire to try and accumulate 30 points for a tag, and even then that might not be enough.

I don't do OR or WA. Mostly because that's a LONG drive solo for me.

It's a fun game.

20-Feb-17
EDITED

20-Feb-17

20-Feb-17

20-Feb-17
EDITED

20-Feb-17
Utah has the cheapest Elk point at about $42, apply to Wyoming as well for $50. If you can front the money, apply to NM. If you don't need rutting bulls with a bow do AZ and apply for late bow or rifle. I think your AZ money would be better spent if you did late rifle personally, but you'll draw the late bow sooner.

20-Feb-17
Bob, as usual, has the simple and logical answer.

20-Feb-17
Man we need some draw results to focus on.. If I was 50, and it won't be long I would focus on CO and WY, Mainly because its what I know and geographically it makes sense for me coming from MI. You can draw a LE tag in both states with just a couple of points and if you bounce around from one to the other you can hunt a draw unit most years. The years I don't draw I hunt an OTC CO unit and always the same one. Yes I am sure that there are better but I can take you to three mountains in that unit and I wont waste one step. Knowing every nook and cranny goes a long long way. I hunt close to the border so timing of the hunt isn't any different and I know the towns and what resources they offer. I like to keep it simple, way more simple than most here. Many will have "better" advice. Oh and don't think you have to get in some hard to draw unit to kill a 300 plus or have lots of elk around its just not so. Go look at the score this bull thread. My guess is those elk came from an OTC unit and if not I bet its not a unit that takes a ton of NR points to draw. "success" for me is getting to hunt. My harvest ratio is crowding 50% now and its been a long time since my partner and I have not killed one between us. Hunt budget hangs around $1200 bucks ea including tags. Lastly give yourself the time when you go. I try to hunt 15 days a year.

20-Feb-17
"Arizona third, as it's mostly preference based, except for a couple of low tier hunts, and it's impossible to draw in year 1 in the mid to high tier units because there's no NR tags left for the 20% pass (as I understand it). "

This is no longer true. I haven't studied it closely, but I'd venture to guess that, starting out now, your odds of drawing a good AZ tag at some point far surpass drawing NV due to NV squaring their points. I apply to a bunch of states (AZ and UT included), but Nevada is not one of them. Your odds of drawing Nevada are probably going to drop each year for the next decade.

20-Feb-17
I did not start apply for elk tags in other stats till I was in my 50s I have drew 3 Arizona elk tags. Two in Wyoming and one in Nevada, Utah& New Mexico

20-Feb-17
When it comes to research, draws etc Idyll knows his stuff. He is definetly the guy I talk to. No disrespect to Bob I just haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet. As for which states to build points that depends on wants. If you want to hunt unit 2 on Co then your wasting your time. If you want to hunt XX unit in a co with a bow, muzzle loader, rifle etc it's not a bad idea to build points there.

Definetly build points in Wyoming. Being able to hunt general is a good idea.

Me personally I am building in AZ, Utah, CO and burning my wyoming points this year.

20-Feb-17
"Uneducted". Perfect!!! Sometimes I really miss TBM. He's gone, but now we have another one with that dangerous combination of bloated ego and massive hubris. At least TBM registered under his son's name....

I'd take Idyllwild's advice any day over some anonymous phony. He simply noted CA as an option, and he's researched this more than anyone, puts on more miles in DIY hunting than anyone. Apply for as many as you can afford because as Bigdan notes, you have chances to draw most anywhere except the high-point creep units in a couple states. You can hunt somewhere every year while you're building points, and learn your chops so when you do draw a great unit you'll have it down.

Every year, guys draw units for which they've saved a ton of points, but haven't hunted elk enough to gain the experience needed. 20 points wasted on a great hunt with lots of bulls, but they go home empty handed because they don't know how to close the deal.

As far as odds, sure 1/400 for CA are long. So what? About like CO moose tags in some units, yet somehow, someone draws them every year.

20-Feb-17
Well, that escalated quickly.

I'm 50, and have a handful of CO points (who doesn't?). For me, the cost:benefit isn't there for much in terms of the point game, so don't listen to me.

My sole reason for posting on this thread is that I see many discussions like this and I think it under-values how fun and productive the general or higher-odds hunts in some states are. The sun doesn't rise and set on Arizona for crying out loud. At the end of the day, we're just talking about a big, dead animal.

If I were to play the game, I'd be playing for lower-points units rather than swinging for the fence.

20-Feb-17
What does it cost for a NR to apply for a tag in Cali? $300 just to apply?

20-Feb-17
First of all guys I realize at my age I realize i have no chance of hunting one of the more Primo units in most of the states and at this time I am enjoying hunting the one point or the over-the-counter units as I am still learning a lot. I'm just looking down the road for some day my life to hunt a little bit better unit. Not just Colorado but other states as well. That's why I am asking what would be your strategy to go about it in the years to come. Once again any help is appreciated. Leo

20-Feb-17
I never realized what an idiot Ike was until the man with no name came on here and put him in his place. Geez, Ike....you should be hung! lol

• Sitka Gear