kellyharris 23-Feb-17
APauls 23-Feb-17
ben yehuda 23-Feb-17
Coyote 65 23-Feb-17
ben h 23-Feb-17
20-Feb-17

Craig's embedded Photo
Craig's embedded Photo
Got the cabin moved this weekend to our new location can't wait for spring hunters.

20-Feb-17
Any suggestions on siding

20-Feb-17
I would do Vinyl, Never paint, chip, crack or peal...

It's going to be awesome!

Good Luck,

Scar.

20-Feb-17
Ok thanks

20-Feb-17
Stained half log siding would look nice with that green roof.

20-Feb-17
I like the live edge rough cut slabs with chinking.

Don't like vinyl personally, fractures in the cold, a soccer ball or softball, will crack it. Or in my case backed too close to it with the truck when it was cold and fractured a couple of pieces.

oz

20-Feb-17
Something like the half logs or planks and chinking. Something natural. Vinyl is cheezy.

20-Feb-17
Some of the new vinyl stuff looks exactly like wood, and that is the first time I have ever heard about it being brittle when it's cold. The solid stuff is tougher than wood and lasts a lifetime.

Scar.

20-Feb-17

jmail20's embedded Photo
jmail20's embedded Photo
Craig, I agree, log siding or siding like your Dad has would look great but I'm a big fan of no maintenance. They make a vinyl now that looks just like board & batten. It comes in a bunch of different colors. Goes up quick and if it gets dirty just hit it with the power washer. Here is a picture of a house done with it from my suppliers website.

20-Feb-17
Very cool Craig. Nothing I love more than to see you guys share "life" in Manitoba and all the stories that go on behind the scenes - stuff we don't always get to see.

21-Feb-17
Thanks for the suggestions guys I also like the wood look for sure. Not sure yet what to do

21-Feb-17

The last savage's embedded Photo
The last savage's embedded Photo
Not really most appealing to the eye but as for durability, strength,and just plain tough... Using metal roof( 36 " coverage) panels works well. I did this last yr.....Pm if ya got any questions ...I'm a contractor..pat

21-Feb-17
If you are a fan of Zero Maintenance, side it in metal. Vinyl will fade and deteriorates over time (becomes brittle), wood needs to be sealed, brick is wise, but expensive. Hardi board cement siding is a great product, but you need to adhere to proper installation specs to get the longevity and it too needs painting, although much less frequent than wood products.

22-Feb-17
That is quite a project. Slept in that cabin in the original location and can't wait for our trip this August. Save us a couple of big boars.

22-Feb-17
I redid mine two years back. Had been wood and bats. Squirrels and coon were tearing it up and I was always patching. I tore it off and redid with dark charcoal colored steel lap. Nothing has messed with it since.

22-Feb-17
I have cedar siding on my house. Would never use it again. The damn woodpeckers wreak havoc on it. I'm constantly patching holes when I'm not shooting the bastards!

22-Feb-17
Lol stop missing T Roy and you will have less holes lol jk. Good to know thanks

22-Feb-17
Hardi siding. Not metal, wood or vinyl, but lifetime material. You can get it with wood grain. This is not necessarily better than metal, but if looks are an issue it gives more options

23-Feb-17
wow...looking great Craig..your uncle will be planning an addition on his now!!

23-Feb-17
Scar wrote (I would do Vinyl, Never paint, chip, crack or peal... It's going to be awesome!)

I own a roofing and siding company and it will fade each year and will crack if it gets hit with anything when its super cold or gets past 15 years old. I have seen older siding crack just from wind gust so yes it can actually crack.

Vinyl is your cheapest method for sure, if you do go vinyl I would recommend Dutch Lap. for some reason it tends to not hold dirt and dust like traditional siding does. People think that the foam you put up offers good insulation which it really does not. It only offers noise insulation during wind gust.

The problem with vinyl is it can get pretty noisy when wind gust get above 45 mph.

Some questions to ask

1. Will it be moved again? If so then I would recommend vinyl

2. If you don't think it will get moved again then I would go with Hardi siding. Its tough not noisy in wind gust and comes pre-painted in about 60 different colors. This will take quite a while to hang and you will need a special blade to cut it with. Also note it breaks very easily so handle with care. but once its up its tough stuff.

If you go metal it will eventually start to corrode but how long that will take is unknown. It does tend to have a commercial/industrial look to it. Hang times are fast.

Next would be natural wood siding which is more natural looking, easy to hang, fast to hang but will eventually rot. If you stain it, you will need to be staining it less than every ten years to make the stain look fresh. Also know wood peckers and bugs love this stuff and bugs will do their best to make it their home as well.

just my 2 cents!

23-Feb-17
Hardi siding. Not metal, wood or vinyl, but lifetime material. You can get it with wood grain. This is not necessarily better than metal, but if looks are an issue it gives more options

23-Feb-17
What he said^^^^^

23-Feb-17
Right on I'm taking it all in consideration thanks for all the help guys appreciate it.

23-Feb-17
Another vote for Hardi plank siding. Wood Grain, painted some shade of brown. Extremely low maintainence and FIREPROOF.

23-Feb-17
Also I have seen in todays construction where assclowns still staple vinyl siding up.

If you do use vinyl be sure to use a 1 1/4 roofing nail to install it.

Also todays Hardi-Plank when purchased pre painted is painted all the way through in the manufacturing process. They also sell Hardi trim boards as well so when you install its already painted so you save on cost and labor in that aspect.

23-Feb-17
hunting camp situation I'd go vinyl. I worked for an outiftter northern MB for years that had wood on the outside of all their buildings. MAJOR PIA, woodpeckers, squirrels, etc. I'd never put that out in the bush and requires maintenance.

Vinyl is cheap, looks good, and you'll get a lot of years out of it. i wouldn't be worried about the cracking, but that's just me. I put vinyl on my "sleeping shed" at the lake, Kenora, Ont, and seems to be holding up well. Bugs and vermin not an issue.

23-Feb-17
I like metal siding, but if you want the wood grain look it's difficult to beat Hardi products. I've installed a ton of it over the years, and if you do it right its an extremely durable product.

23-Feb-17
Having a new cabin built, the builder suggested Metal Siding as vinyl offers no protection in a forest fire. Asked what he had on his house. Metal.

Terry

23-Feb-17

ben h's Link
Vinyl will for sure be the cheapest option, but I would not use that, particularly in a cold climate. Wood will look the best but will have the most maintenance IMO. I really like the cement board type siding such as Hardi. It does require either pre-painting or painting and then periodic painting thereafter but it's pretty infrequent (10+ years). We sided our last rental property and we purchased a batch of siding that our lumber yard screwed up the color on someone else's order and we bought it; I don't remember the price, but it was pretty cheap. We did need to re-paint it once installed, but that wasn't a big deal and that was in 2009 and it still looks brand new.

From the picture you posted, your door and windows do not appear to be flashed correctly, I'd fix that before you install the siding or you may experience problems in the future. See link.

• Sitka Gear