Contributors to this thread:
TEXASWOODS5 20-Feb-17
txhunter58 20-Feb-17
TEXASWOODS5 20-Feb-17
Destroyer350 20-Feb-17
Destroyer350 21-Feb-17
oldgoat 21-Feb-17
20-Feb-17
Hello bowsiters, I'm planning on a 2018 Colorado deer hunt and I'm looking at unit 51 mostly because of the close proximity to Denver. My plan is to take my two oldest boys on their first western hunt. From doing a little research it looks like I should put in for a preference point this year for next year's hunt. I'm not asking for any details but it would be nice to have a general idea on where I could take my boys. They'll be 14 and 16 when we go. Thanks JW

20-Feb-17
Looks like all rifle seasons averaged about 50% success, so that is pretty good. 1 point is not a lock for the 2nd rifle season, however, 3rd is still at 0 points. 4th is prob not a good bet with 1 point. Here is a good site with drawing odds and success rates: http://www.toprut.com/hunt/colorado-mule-deer/

Not really a big area to hunt (western 1/2 of unit). With your proximity, sounds like you have the opportunity to get out with your boys and do some scouting. That is half the fun. Plan some hiking/camping trips and you should be able to figure it out.

20-Feb-17
I guess I should of mentioned we were going during archery season. I wish I could get up there to scout before we go but that's not going to be happening since we live 15 hours away.

20-Feb-17
I know that area pretty well and I'd be more than happy to help you out. I'm not sure if you're set on going archery but you might want to do rifle on their first hunt out west - especially if you want to go to 51. There's quite a bit of private and its pretty warm during archery so expect to see a lot of dirtbikers, campers and hikers if you go around the Rampart Range area.

21-Feb-17
I sent you a PM with my contact info

21-Feb-17
Why is that an area you want to go? There's probably better units South of the front range that are closer to you that would be less crowded. There are so many people that recreate in there other than hunting. Unless your flying in commercial I'd go some place else.

• Sitka Gear