timex 22-Feb-17
CurveBow 23-Feb-17
mgmicky 23-Feb-17
Kevin Dill 23-Feb-17
Drummer Boy 23-Feb-17
carcus 23-Feb-17
Cheesehead Mike 24-Feb-17
21-Feb-17
Stick with Lacrosse but switch over to the Alphaburly rather than the Aerohead.

21-Feb-17
I am of no help, but really good to know about the Aeroheads, so thanks. I am in the market for a new pair of rubbers as well and was considering those, but with this info I am crossing them off my list. I constantly trudge through crap that rips boots apart and I was definitely concerned about that seam. I have low volume feet and every pair of rubbers I've ever owned is cavernous without doubling up on wool socks, so I'm really hoping to address that with my next pair as well.

21-Feb-17
Alphaburley...

21-Feb-17
Lacrosse Alpha Burly's would be my recommendation. I have worn just about all the major rubber boots made and none outlast my Alpha Burly boots. I just threw out a pair of 1000's this season that I had for 10 years. I have gone through Mucks, Irish Setters, and Cabelas brands in that same time that ripped or tore.

21-Feb-17
I would vote for the Lacrosse boots as well, I've had a pair of them that lasted 7-8 years and then I bought Muck boots that didn't last 2. In my experience Muck is over-rated and over-priced.

--Mitch

21-Feb-17
I gotta agree on the Alphaburly's! I've had a pair of uninsulated for...........12+ years? I wore them for everything from blacktail on Kodiak Island to spring bear to whitetail, etc. They are a bit faded now but still going strong, no leaks, nothing wrong. Great boot!

21-Feb-17
I actually have Alphaburly now, although 7-10 years old... I like the fit around the calf/ankle but the footbed is just way too high volume for my feet. One of those internet purchases I've just lived with.

My wife has a pair of "Hunter" brand rubber boots. They look sharp...high quality, so comfortable/form fitting, smaller footbed, and have a nice tread. I eye them up every time she wears them. I'm kind of inclined to try out a pair of those in men's to be honest, anyone have a pair? Don't want to pay a premium for a "fashion" brand, but like I said, the things look nice. I could care less whether or not it's a hunting brand and would actually prefer non-camo.

21-Feb-17
2x XMan,

Heavier boot - but long lasting. 10 + years of use.

21-Feb-17
Lacrosse Alphaburly or Grange. The Grange boots are probably the toughest rubber boot I have ever worn.

21-Feb-17
I say try Itasca, I never really looked at them too much but this fall i was on a hunt in NW Kansas. Very few people in the county I hunt and few if any stores to buy a boot in. I had a blow out in my Alpha Burlys so I had to take a ride. 35 miles to the closest store and all they had were the Itasca's. I bought a pair with only 400 grams of thinsulate but they have turned out to be a great boot. I pretty much have worn them everyday since early Nov. and they have held up very well. I really wanted a pair of Irish Setter rubber and neoprene but must say I like the Itasca's. Scooby

21-Feb-17
I wear the original Burley from Lacross. A bit heavier than the new ones but in my judgment way more durable and way more support when traversing actual hunting terrain. Alpha Burley's are probably OK for walking to and from a treestand, but if you're actually going to hunt in them, I'd get the original.

21-Feb-17
I just went and checked my boots. Because I can't remember the last time I bought rubber boots.... it's been that long. And I just call them " rubber boots"..... actually didn't know what brand I was wearing.

Low and behold.... LaCrosse Burley

21-Feb-17
They have air bob soles that are pretty worn. If I buy a new pair...... does anybody know if they still put air bobs on the bottom?

21-Feb-17
Old fashioned LaCrosse 3 eyelet insulated (with the yellow string) with a felt insole....nothing better.

21-Feb-17
Bill, I believe they do still sell that exact model.

21-Feb-17

RutnStrut's Link
Razor, check out Dan's Froglegs. I included a link, they sound like they would be ideal for you. I am getting a pair for my public land swampy hell hole spots.

22-Feb-17
I've used mucks for years, hunting nasty thick bush chasing elk, I also use the arctic mucks for deer hunting and then ice fishing, great boot, never had a issue with holes although there is potential, I've put on some serious miles on these boots in bush thats has torn apart my rain gear, my black gold sight, it eats a set of strings per year and not a hole in the mucks

22-Feb-17
I'm going to throw in a bit of a contrasting opinion on the Lacrosse Alpha Burleys. I have a pair of Alpha Burley Side Zip boots that are probably pushing 15 years old. One of the reasons they have lasted so long is because I hardly ever wear them anymore since I started wearing Muck boots.

I often have long walks to my deer stands and the Alpha Burleys are too heavy and the ankle fit is not very good to the point where they flex and dig into my ankles. They have also split/ripped in numerous spots where the ankles flex. I patched the rips numerous times with both Marine Goop and P6000.

I have a pair of Muck Woody Max and Muck Arctic Sport that I much prefer over the LaCrosse. The Woody Max are several years old and have been through a lot and they keep going although I have patched a few small holes in them with Goop, etc. Maybe the newer Alpha Burleys are better than the ones I have, but my old ones are not nearly as comfortable as the Mucks and not as durable as I had hoped.

22-Feb-17
My only issues with Mucks, Mike, are that the uppers do NOT last. I'm forever poking holes in the uppers of my Mucks. I have Alpha Burlelys in uninsulated, 800 and 1200. And mucks in the Woody Max and Arctic. My Mucks, though comfortable are full of holes and patches. Other than fading my Alpha Burleys are no worse for wear after 10 years of use!

22-Feb-17
I wish I could help you. I haven't worn my Lacrosse Alpha Burleys or any rubber boot in 3 years. I hate their guts. I'm just not tough enough to wear them. I have to climb some ridges to hunt, and they just make hamburger of my feet, even with good merino socks, etc.

I don't know what I'd do in your situation with swamps and bogs. I just can't stand rubber boots

22-Feb-17
kota-man - that's my issue with the Muck's as well. They are extremely comfortable to wear, but the uppers do NOT last. Mine had numerous holes after my first month of hunting.

22-Feb-17
I cant use neoprene i tear em up i use the lacrosse All

rubber boots that all the northern waterman use There black with a yellow band around the top about 65$ buy one size smaller

23-Feb-17
I vote for Lacrosse too! I use the Burly with the air bob sole and polymeric foam. They wear like iron (as long as you avoid metal spikes!) and for me, the soles provide the best traction of any sole I have ever used. I use them until the air bobs wear down to almost anything, then they are bang arounds for quick to get on yard work. I live i NYS and hunt the Adirondacks a lot and deal with some alder thickets, witch hopple (f***** cobble brush) as well as multiflora rose crap in the Southern zone. The boots wear great!

They cost less than the camo boots too. I have about 4 pairs in rotation now and a fifth pair brand new still in the box; just in case Lacrosse decides to "upgrade" them! ;)

>>>>-------->

23-Feb-17
http://www.orvis.com/p/mens-le-chameau-leather-lined-chasseur/207z

These are expensive but comfortable with zippers for easy on/off and leather lining so feet don't get so clammy. I know a fishing guide that wore them nearly every day for 12 years, the rubber started to crack, and Orvis replaced with a brand new pair...

23-Feb-17
I wear AlphaBurleys for everything. I've got the 1000G side-zips for moose hunting in AK and I put them through very hard use in brush, old burns, rocks etc. I'm wading streams every day and walking in 12" of water crossing wet zones. I wear them when packing meat...everything. Mine have never leaked or hurt my feet once. For me they are easily the best 'rubber boot' I've ever used. I personally think the side-zips are the cat's meow.

23-Feb-17
The only time I use all rubber boots is early in the season,when it gets colder I use schnee's pack boots .I hunt swamps and high land just oil them up that full grain leather takes a lot of water.They fit so much better for me than rubber.

23-Feb-17
"http://www.orvis.com/p/mens-le-chameau-leather-lined-chasseur/207z

These are expensive but comfortable with zippers for easy on/off and leather lining so feet don't get so clammy. I know a fishing guide that wore them nearly every day for 12 years, the rubber started to crack, and Orvis replaced with a brand new pair... "

Only $489 usd, that's only $650 Canadian dollars !! Wow

24-Feb-17

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I'm not trying to start an argument here or another Chevy vs. Ford debate, I'm just sharing my experiences with Lacrosse Alpha Burleys and Muck Woody Max.

The top photo is my Alpha Burleys that have been glued in numerous locations due to the rubber cracking and splitting where the ankle flexes. They're like that on both sides of the boot.

The middle photo is a new split in the rubber that I just discovered last night while I was taking these photos. That photo also shows a couple spots on the side of the boot that are not in an ankle flex area that also split and I repaired with glue.

The bottom photo is my Muck Woody Max boots that I have worn the crap out of for the last 10 years or so. They have several punctures in the neoprene uppers that I have also patched with glue but there are no tears or splits in the ankle flex area. I did put a little glue in one of the seams on the lower part of the Muck boot on the left but that was more of a preventative measure where the rubber was slightly cracked but there was no hole. Personally I'm not as worried about the holes in the uppers on the Muck boots as I am about the rips and tears in the ankle area of the Lacrosse. The punctures in the Muck boots are a lot easier to repair than the rips in the Lacrosse and the punctures in the Muck boots are almost all on the outside of the boot whereas the rips in the Lacrosse go all the way around the ankles. Not to mention that the punctures on the Muck boots are a lot higher on the boot than the rips on the Lacrosse so I don't have to worry about getting wet in ankle deep water, whereas that is a concern with the Lacrosse boots.

I'm not sure why the Lacrosse ripped so bad for me; maybe it has something to do with me having fairly skinny ankles and big calves which might push the uppers down more and cause them to flex more than normal. The areas where the Lacrosse flex also dig into my ankles and I've had my skin rubbed raw at times.

• Sitka Gear