Hellrazor 21-Feb-17
Deertick 21-Feb-17
Fulldraw1972 21-Feb-17
Jaquomo 21-Feb-17
hunt'n addict 21-Feb-17
Bowriter 22-Feb-17
wytex 22-Feb-17
21-Feb-17
Looking for info on Medicine Bow- Routt National Forest, was looking for a Place that had camp ground , access to over the counter elk area , possible some fishing, is this a good choice or is there a better choice? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

21-Feb-17
The Medicine Bow area is in WY ... no OTC opportunities there. Routt is the Colorado extension of it (or vice-versa -- no offense, greenies) and there are some OTC areas there, and plenty of fishing. Perhaps the CO boys can chime in.

21-Feb-17
A good starting point is Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

21-Feb-17
Most of Routt is OTC. Lots of campgrounds, lots of fishing, lots of elk, lots of hunters. Beware the CPW stats for those units because the herd estimates and success rates include outfitted hunts on some big ranches that hold huge herds during archery season.

That said, there is good hunting opportunity if you get away from other hunters. The Mt. Zirkel wilderness is very popular and if you hunt in there you'll likely meet lots of new friends wearing Sitka and Kuiu. ;)

21-Feb-17
X1 Lou on the number of hunters in Mt. Zirkel Wilderness. I saw more hunters in there than sheep last fall when I had my sheep tag.

22-Feb-17
Routt is good area. For good intel, see if you can contact Paul Brown in Steamboat. He just about lives in the forest and great elk guide. Tell him I sent you.

22-Feb-17
General tags for MBNF unless you get one of the LQ on the north side. Great fishing in the forest, camping all over and even some campgrounds if you really want one. OTC has to be Colorado but some cow/calf additional tags for general areas in Wyoming.

• Sitka Gear