fastflight 21-Feb-17
HUNT MAN 21-Feb-17
planebow 21-Feb-17
pav 22-Feb-17
Corn bore 22-Feb-17
flyingbrass 26-Feb-17
ELKMAN 26-Feb-17
21-Feb-17
I am hoping to go on my first elk hunt this fall but have some permit/license questions.

I have read a lot about the general Montana tag but am still a little confused how the limited entry areas work in with the general tag. It appears that everybody in my situation that wants to hunt this fall and has zero points applies for a general tag which I think is called a license and with so many leftovers this is a 100% draw odds. When filling in the application we can also apply for a limited entry unit tag which I believe is called a permit. The odds of these limited entry units seem so low for non-residents and most of the research I have done doesn’t seem to point to the easier to draw limited entry units being any better than the general areas. Without giving away the actual unit do you guys think I should be looking for a limited entry unit or just go with the general license? If I did get lucky and get a limited entry unit I would have to hunt that unit from what I understand. Is this correct? The general tag I could go to any of the units that don't require a special permit. Correct?

21-Feb-17
Always apply for limited! You never know ! If you don't draw hunt a general unit. Good luck

21-Feb-17
Also if you do draw a limited permit you can still can hunt units that don't require a permit

22-Feb-17
Montana is a bit pricey for elk comparatively speaking...but you are basically guaranteed a general tag and have the potential to draw a LE permit.....EVERY YEAR. One of the few states that takes the guess work out of the equation when planning an elk hunt. It's not "if" you will be elk hunting....but "where" you will be elk hunting.

22-Feb-17
When you apply for your combination license Put in for a hard to draw permit and get your bonus point for $20. (Hint see unit 380). If you draw the unit you just drew the hardest to draw permit in the state, go hunt there. If you don't draw you have a bonus point for the future and a general tag in your pocket, go hunt general units. If you are going to hunt general units it is cost effective and smart to gain bonus points. Don't buy the $50 preference point , with leftover combination tags it is waste of money.

26-Feb-17
wolves are a factor in MT

26-Feb-17
380 is HIGHLY over rated. Good potential, but massive pressure from spike and cow hunters. Also just a little FYI for those of you considering giving your hard earned money to Montana for an Elk permit this year: Just remember these jack a$$es are still shooting cow Elk as we speak... Just something to consider.

• Sitka Gear