Buskill 22-Feb-17
Nick Muche 22-Feb-17
bowbearman 23-Feb-17
bowonly 23-Feb-17
bowbearman 23-Feb-17
Hugh 24-Feb-17
joshs 24-May-17
22-Feb-17
I drew a DE702 Elk tag on Raspberry Island.....Know nothing about it. I basically put in for it cause I want to hunt and harvest a Roosevelt Elk someday and I'm moving to Alaska in May. Never figured I'd draw it now hoping for some help if anyone has hunted there or any knowledge about the hunt or area. Has anyone done this hunt? Any info would help. Thanks Aaron

22-Feb-17
A buddy has and we have hunted it for spring bear. Your best shot is to get dropped high...seems to be where the elk are as there are openings and a lake up there. A lot of that lower stuff is a rain forest....and fuggetabout trying to bushwhack up through it

22-Feb-17
it can be tough. what looks like meadow from a distance on the steep hillsides is actually chest deep raspberry, salmon berry, and grass all tangled together. once on top, the going is easier. bottoms can be very wet....

22-Feb-17
these are truly big bodied elk. It's not a critter you want to solo for. Have you considered an outfitter.

22-Feb-17
I have been talking to Raspberry island lodge. Kinda wanted to do a DYI hunt to save money but would definatly need a friend to come with for safety and packing reasons but hard to talk people into coming on a hunt like that. Although they could hunt Sitka blacktail. Bears and hard work usually scare "buddies" away.

22-Feb-17
Hmm, my buddies seem to be more eager to come along the harder the work and the more bears. Please don't take that the wrong way, I just don't get it. Sounds like you have more sense of adventure than your buddies. Which tells me that you can do this hunt DIY and solo if you want and you'd probably be better off on your own anyways.

I've never been to Rasperry, but I have a buddy who did the hunt archery (did not arrow an elk) a few years ago and like was said above, you want to land on top of the elk if you can. I've hunted rainforest (OR) for Roosy's and they make paths through the thick crap. They also know where every non-crappy area is. You just need to get to them. You can do this hunt if you want, it's just going to be a lot of work and logistics - but you can do it if you really want it. It's definitely a rough hunt though, the rifle guy's success rate tells a story. If you make it happen, it'll be the experience of a lifetime. And you can shoot a deer even if you can't find the elk. GL.

Come back and tell us a bout it after.

22-Feb-17
There is a vid or two of elk hunts on that island . I'm totally jealous by the way .

22-Feb-17
PM sent

23-Feb-17
Haha yes I'm WAY more adventurous then my buddies the have a hard time getting out of wisconsin for over a few days I've been to Alaska 15 time and am now moving there in may. HAHA they probably wont even come visit me in a nice warm bear proof house!!!

23-Feb-17
Looking at Raspberry Island Lodge website, they require DIY hunters to pair up for safety reasons. I have found that seems to be the norm for unguided lodge hunts on Kodiak and even on the boat hunts. Seems like we need a Match.com or Bowhuntersonly.com to pair up guys that can't convince their non-adventurous buddies to go for it. I can't find anyone interested in Sitka deer.

23-Feb-17
bowonly Id love to go do a sitka hunt if I didn't have this elk tag. See you could come with me and hunt sitka while I hunt elk.

24-Feb-17
The elk are usually closer to the coast until the season starts then they move inland and are harder to find. Raspberry Island Lodge does a good job transporting and outfitting if you need it. You could even spike out from where they drop you off for a few days. I looked at using the lodge as we auction off a Raspberry Island Brown Bear tag at the Alaskan Bowhunters Association Banquet and I was going to bid on it.

24-May-17
bowbearman - I drew this tag also this year. If you are still looking for someone to go with, please reach out to me

• Sitka Gear