Kurt 23-Feb-17
ben h 23-Feb-17
bigbuckODY 23-Feb-17
Ambush 23-Feb-17
krieger 24-Feb-17
Inshart 26-Feb-17
idacurt 26-Feb-17
22-Feb-17
Haven't done much backpack hunting lately, mostly camps I could get a truck to and have used various air mattresses previously. When I was younger I could sleep on a boulder. Those days are gone...Quality sleep is important, looking for two specific recommendations from the more experienced. 1. Best " backpack pad ". and 2. Best pad for comfort where weight and space isn't an issue, ie truck, ATV accessible areas. Cot advice welcome also.

Why did I not use the search function? New stuff every year and we need a different subject than broadheads and arrow weight this week. ;)

22-Feb-17
For a backpacking pad I like the Big Agnes Q Core SL. It is a good combo of comfort, weight, and size.

In a truck camping scenario I typically use a queen size super thick Coleman blow up mattress.

22-Feb-17
I've used the large thermarest pads and have a 20" one also. They are great and I've even slept on a rock shelf for a week+ + with the 20" one.

It only works for the initial fly in, but to save space I use the shop-vac to get it as flat as possible.

22-Feb-17
I am a therm-a-rest user as well. The X therm is a really good pad.

Like the guys above I use a double blow up mattress in a truck camp. I even use one with a pump built in. Just use the plug in that's in my truck to power it up.

22-Feb-17
Another Big Agnes user here. Air just take the rocks out of sleeping and are comfortable..

22-Feb-17
Big Agnes Q Core SL for sure....the larger outer baffles keep you on it (and insulated). Thermorests are lighter but I always seem to slip off them in the middle of the night and end up on rock (and cold)!

Mark

22-Feb-17
Q core, even comfortable to my wife with arthritis to sleep on the ground, not the lightest by any means!

22-Feb-17
Look at the Sea to Summit

DJ

22-Feb-17
I like the Q Core SL as well especially when combined with a BA bag with a sleeve. That combo is tough to beat comfortwise for me. In a truck camping scenario nothing beats an inflatable mattress or air bed.

23-Feb-17
I like my x-therm in the backcountry. At a basecamp/truck, I prefer to sleep on memory foam. I used a few different mattresses for that and by far the best option for me was 3" thick memory foam. It was a real game changer actually.

23-Feb-17
I tried a Big Agnes pad that was 20" wide. It worked but wasn't too comfortable because my shoulders were falling off and because I toss and turn around at night. I found the Exped SynMat UL to be great for me because they come 26" wide. I think that your choice in pads depends of how you sleep. Try it at home on the floor of your bedroom before taking on a hunting trip just to be sure it will work for you.

Where weight doesn't matter I prefer a cot over an inflatable mattress because the mattress just seems so fragile.

23-Feb-17
HAMMOCK. There's a learning curve but it is good for my back

23-Feb-17
Another xtherm user here. Keeps you warm, but is still light enough and packable.

23-Feb-17
12 ounce Thermarest Neo-air for backpacking in summer and early fall. They have have 16 ounce versions with more insulation for somewhat colder weather. I find them super comfortable to sleep on. I have had bad luck with a Big Agnes backpack pad that leaked due to faulty fabric, so never took a second chance on them.......sleeping on a flat pad for an entire 12 day hunt sucked.

For truck camping I double up a couple of old 2" thick Thermarest Camp-rests or use a Swedish cot as sold by LL Beane years ago. The cot takes a lot of room and I usually only take it when pulling the cargo trailer.

23-Feb-17
I personally use a BA Q core and it's pretty comfy for me. I'm sure any of the thicker inflatables will work just fine, but word of caution, to save oz's the material they use to make them can puncture very easily; make sure you have the patch kit! It's pretty hard to keep every pine needle out of your tent, especially in my case because I use a floorless shelter with a ground cloth. Ever since I started packing a Z-lite in addition to my BA pad and ground cloth, I have not had puncture issues and the Z-lite is nice to have around camp for something to sit on anyway.

Haven't done much car camping, but I'm sure any 3-4" open cell foam pad, or inflatable mattress would work fine. As far as cots go, I've only slept on one and it was fantastic. I think it was a Disk-O-bed, which aren't cheap, but they do have the ability to use them bunk-bed style which saves a bunch of tent space if that's an issue. I used the cot in the summer, in cooler temps I'm sure you'd need some sort of pad in addition for insulation; the Z-lite would also work great for this purpose.

23-Feb-17
ive done plenty of research on this subject and watched plenty of great youtube videos and i bought the ThermoRest neo air X lite and it is exactly what i was looking for weight comfort and especially durablity i havent hunted with it yet but i will this summer and fall in my first DIY OTC elk hunt in colorado people on this forum helpped me out so much

23-Feb-17
I use the original Thermarest NeoAir. Extremely light and packs very small. But I also always pack a Thermarest Z-lite folding pad in either 3/4 or full length. That gives you the insulation you need and you always have something if you should spring a leak in your air mattress. The Z-lite goes with me during the day to sit or lay on while glassing or waiting for long periods. That and a Sil-Poncho or 8'X10' siltarp can make an unexpected night out quite bearable. No need to back off that big buck, bull, billy or ram 'cause camp is too far away.

For big camp, I use a Cabelas Guide cot with a 1 1/2" thick memory foam. A wool blanket on top the foam keeps you much drier to. The cot is good because you can store all your gear in RubberMaid tubs underneath, out of the way. Saving space, keeping everything clean, dry ,organized and away from mice.

24-Feb-17
Thanks for all the info gentlemen! I have some shopping to do looks like. I'm a memory foam fan myself also. I will get two different setups for the specific application at hand.

26-Feb-17
Costco had their 3" memory foam on sale about a month ago so I purchased one for our bed at home - it worked so good I purchased another one for the bed in our guest bedroom. Although they are a bit heavy, I'll definitely have one for camping as well.

26-Feb-17
I use the Xped mega 12,by far the best pad I've used and I've tried about them all.It's big,heavy and I sleep like a log! I bring my gear in on horse so weight isn't a concern.

• Sitka Gear