elkstabber 23-Feb-17
Mitch 23-Feb-17
22-Feb-17

JacobNisley's embedded Photo
Looking east from the road.
Looking east from the road.
Facing West. Plot is aprox 115 x 50 yds.
Facing West. Plot is aprox 115 x 50 yds.
There are 2 spots with small trees that have been mowed around.
There are 2 spots with small trees that have been mowed around.
Panoramic facing East.
Panoramic facing East.
Ok I'm looking for some habitat advice and thought this would be a good place to start. There is a small field on our property (about 1.25 acre) that we would like to make into something useful. It is right alongside the road so we don't want just put in a standard deer plot because it feels counterproductive to attract deer to the edge of the property and within sight of the road. My idea was to make it a small game haven with cover and food instead of the golden rods and random briers. I realize that anything with good cover is going to attract deer too, but the deer will not be the focus here. The main animals this would probably attract and hold would be rabbits and songbirds. I've thought about trying to establish a quail colony since they are native here but I really don't know what I'd be getting in to and the wild quail population is absolutely zilch here.

First of all, we would probably plant some sort of screen along the road (about 115 yds). Would you recommend a fast-growing evergreen or something else? The field is actually about a foot or 2 higher than the road so it wouldn't have to be too tall to restrict the view.

Second, what would you plant/place for cover and how would you position it? My rough idea now is to have it divided into sections with brush-hogged paths mowed through to break it up a little and give access throughout the middle of it.

Third, what would you recommend for food sources? I'm thinking something with smaller seeds so deer aren't as interested. Is there a blend on the market that might satisfy what we want? Sunflowers for the birds?

I'm open to any and all suggestions so fire away. It just seems like kind of wasted space that could be thriving with small game. I'll include a few pictures for reference.

22-Feb-17
Plant a bit of multi flora rose, it will be spread by birds and it makes the best rabbitat there is!! Scooby

23-Feb-17
Sorghum. Rabbits and all types of birds love it for both food and cover.

23-Feb-17
Small game haven next to a road. What possibly could go wrong?

23-Feb-17
I'm not sure why you'd want to attract small game here instead of deer. Obviously either will get occasionally run over but deer are better at crossing roads than rabbits or quail. Either way you should start with a visual block up next to the road, such as a row of cedar trees (probably spaced at 7' or so). Then keep a mowed path between the cedars and the road. This is the best way to discourage animals from crossing the road.

Then, for small game or birds you could plant brush such as plums, silky dogwood, wax myrtles, and crabapples. A couple of log piles (criss-crossed) or brush piles will help rabbits with cover. If you maintained a fire break around part of it the field you could do controlled burns every 2-3 years to maximize the growth of grasses (burns may not be legal/practical where you live). There are lots of ways to improve habitat for small game.

23-Feb-17

elkstabber's Link
Here is a summary of quail habitat ideas. Anything that is good for quail is also good for small game and birds.

23-Feb-17
I would plant the field to a mix of native grass and forbs (wildflowers). This will provide habitat for birds, small game, and deer.

• Sitka Gear