Mossyhorn 28-Feb-17
WapitiBob 28-Feb-17
IdyllwildArcher 28-Feb-17
Trial153 28-Feb-17
WapitiBob 28-Feb-17
ELKMAN 01-Mar-17
WapitiBob 01-Mar-17
23-Feb-17
EDIT - this is the bitch & whine thread about how WGF does business Post your displeasure's here

23-Feb-17
C'mon man....it's still five long days away!

24-Feb-17
"Relax..." -Ed F

24-Feb-17
I think my choice at random was .5% chance! Not counting on it

24-Feb-17
I paid extra to get a 5% chance.

24-Feb-17
Haha Zim.... the Cowboy state loves you man.

24-Feb-17
special general with a point. I think im close to guaranteed. Cant wait to get back there

24-Feb-17
Special general with a point here too. Should be a guarantee based on last years numbers. Actually <1 point was 100%. Of course a few more can throw their hat in so already have a fall back plan.

24-Feb-17
My son is in with max points & the special but drawing a good unit can still be sketchy! Fingers crossed! (grin) You can't draw if you don't apply! -- Good luck all!

ElkNut1

24-Feb-17
Wyoming needs to raise their price on both levels ASAP!

24-Feb-17
I agree ELKMAN, I'll be there with even less ppl then! I'm new to the game and it's my best/easiest option while learning probably. Gotta love no debt! ;)

24-Feb-17
Yes let's start to price people out of hunting more than it already is.

Hunting will only survive if people are participating.

People will only participate when they get to experience success.

Be careful what you wish for....you just might get it.

24-Feb-17
Adjusted for inflation and average wages, WY and CO NR elk tags are cheaper today than they were in 1956. Same with resident prices.

24-Feb-17
Lou, irrelevant. Who here was buying NR tags in 1956. I was only 9.

24-Feb-17
1st time applying for WY elk for me. I applied for a cow tag. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'll be in Ontario lake trout fishing next week so I won't find out if I drew until Thursday. Good luck everyone!!

Brian

24-Feb-17
People chose how to spend their money. Some rather save to spend it on vacations with their wife and some save it to live life hunting. When there's a will there's usually a way. All in how bad u want it. It's like when they talk about raising resident license $50. I don't think anyone is $50 a year away from being able to hunt or not! That is if that someone is dedicated to the sport!!!!

24-Feb-17
I put all of my kids in for the hunts.

I have 7 of them. That's right, 7 hunters.

4 of them hunt right now.

50 dollars here, 526 for antelope in Wyoming there, elk here, deer here.

And yes I'm very successful in life. I can and do afford guided hunts. But I'll always be a champion for the guy who has several kids, wants them to hunt, and has to keep cost in mind.

Your thinking is very narrow minded Sasquatch.

Very self centered and self serving. Don't be surprised when our passion for hunting dies.

But hey, you'll have Wyoming to yourself. If you can. If the masses haven't taken it from you.

24-Feb-17
The fee increase is working its way thru the legislation.

24-Feb-17
I'm completely DIY and pay for my, my kid's, and my dad's tags and apps. It's pushing 3 grand a year now for just the apps and tags and I lend the various Fish and Game depts across this country over 15 grand for 2-3 months till they refund my money without a tag to show for it minus an application fee for the 1% odds I'm putting in for.

The alternative is not playing the game. I can see how folks are priced out. I'm thankful that there's whitetail hunting for the working man in America because the costs are crazy and I'm not talking about guided hunts - these are just pieces of paper that the government is giving us to hunt these animals.

24-Feb-17
Agree with DConcrete... views like those of Sasquatch disgust me. Ya, jack up the cost so it's easier for me to get a tag!

Bob, what's a special elk tag suppose to run if the new increase goes through?

25-Feb-17
Archery license up to $70, Regular Elk with fishing goes to $690. I see no increases for Special Draw licenses on first glance.

HB0288

25-Feb-17
They should keep the archery license at $25 and add a $25 rifle license.

25-Feb-17
Maybe there should be a charge for all the advice handed out on Bowsite. How much would you be in the hole sasquatch?

25-Feb-17
Sasquatch said he's new to the game. I have an idea to counter his, raise the fee idea.

How about only allowing westerners that are seasoned bow hunters to apply?

That would really help Colorado and Wyoming elk hunting.

Do I seriously advocate this?

HELL NO!!

25-Feb-17
The NR Special is $576 on top of the new $690 regular license per subsection f, bullet (i). So 40% of the NR licenses go in the Special for a new total fee of $1266, not including app. fees and other applicable licenses and fees.

I don't think the $690 fee is outlandish honestly. I don't necessarily like it, but the fees have to go up at times. However, I still don't like the 40% allocation into the Special.

25-Feb-17
I'm glad because I'm an eastern whitetail'er who's looking forward to my Sept elk hunt. I see my points and tag fees as an investment for a great bowhunting adventure.

25-Feb-17
I dont mind paying the $690 elk license, even tho sometimes when Im hunting WY they are the same elk I can hunt in CO for $46 :)

25-Feb-17
I'm glad because I'm an eastern whitetail'er who's looking forward to my Sept elk hunt. I see my points and tag fees as an investment for a great bowhunting adventure.

25-Feb-17
Sorry for the double.

25-Feb-17
The rules can be whatever they may become. The point is me and others will always find a way to hunt! I don't "hope" they raise prices! My smart ass comment was to the

"they really need to up their prices asap"

But thanks for all y'all thinking I hope hunting dies off. ;)

And yes ppl have helped me, and on other species such as deer or turkeys I've helped many out! To my exact spots. Even to where I got on elk in Colorado when I went.

I'm not threatened by other hunters. Never will be. If I succeed good, if not that's good too.

I've offered and sent pm to people to tag along with me that ask about where I hunted! You really have no idea who or how I am. Your basing your opinion of me from a smart ass comment that was made before I commented. But thanks anyway.

25-Feb-17
Also to Dconcrete, if only westerners could apply, and I liked it enough, I'd gained a way to move. If not I'll stick with deer,duck,turkey, and offshore fishing! Also, you know any good hearted people with kids that want to hunt but the family ain't fortunate enough, pm me some details and I guarantee you if it's legit, I'll get them kids in the woods!

25-Feb-17
Now look what you started, Brad! lol

25-Feb-17
And to frazen. I haven't forgot your direction lended to me. Never will, nor top-guns!

I wish I hunted something this way that y'all would like to do I could return the favor. But I'm sure no one has interest in southern/eastern hunting that's on here.

I also put my time in flying out to scout for a week before I drove up to hunt!

If bowsite charged for advise maybe I'd pay, maybe I wouldn't. Would depend on how much I felt it's worth.

If no one helped me I'd still be out there though trying and learning! It wouldnt make or break me.

25-Feb-17
Price needs to double, and if there's still more demand than there is tags, increase it again. That's how business work fellas. If your demand exceeds your ability to meet it, your prices are to low... Just common a$$ sense.

25-Feb-17
In Colorado the NR tag price goes up slightly each year based on the Consumer Price Index. Everyone knows it's coming and its a small increase. So there's little fuss made about it.

25-Feb-17

DConcrete's embedded Photo
I don't need a lesson on how business works elkman. I'm very in tune with how it works.

We aren't running a business when it comes to a public resource for recreational activity. Especially one that relies on strength in numbers.

I'd suggest that you do some serious research on hunter numbers, recruitment numbers, declining numbers, etc....

Hunting is dying. We are the minority, not the majority. That's a fact.

We need to keep people interested, and not look at this from a financial gain aspect or a personal gain aspect. Bow hunting is too damn important to me to price people out simply because it'll work better for "me".

Your suggestion on this is extremely short sighted, and quite frankly, ignorant.

We need to try to pull people into this, not push them out.

Price increase drive away business. Just because it'll support a few more increases, doesn't mean you should do it. Let fathers keep their kids hunting. License fees Are just yet another increasing cost of living, Let's not even talk about the cost of the gear etc.....

This is what matters to me...

25-Feb-17

25-Feb-17

25-Feb-17

This is what we do this for.

Let's help keep this going for others.

25-Feb-17
DConcrete, I'd have to say your ideas are a little short sighted as well. What other means do you suggest Wyo G&F incorporate to generate revenue? If G&F continues to cut programs/ people, you certainly aren't going to like that scenario either. They've already cut 4-5 more programs from this year's budget, as well as had millions more cut from the General fund, which G&F receives very little from in the first place. Oh by the way, Wyoming's economy is going down the crapper because of the energy bust. Unfortunately, money doesn't fall from the sky. If fee increases help keep the Dept and its programs afloat, I'm all for it.

I wish the legislature would allow G&F to raise license fees as needed, rather than wait for the legislature to decide. If that's every year, so be it. As it is, I believe 2008 was the last license fee increase. People are more accepting of small increases every year than they are of larger increases every 8-10yrs. Inflation increases the cost of living in every other corner of our lives. I don't understand the rationale behind the argument that license fees should somehow be exempt for those increases.

25-Feb-17
An increase in fees is nice wording for, usage tax.

I don't have a problem paying to play, but to continue to raise fees on non residents, or really anyone, isn't a great solution.

I'd have to assume that you're of the camp, don't increase taxes, learn to live on what you collect as the government. I'm of that camp too.

So if Wyoming is losing money hand over fist from the energy bust, are we safe to assume that once oil stabilizes, and comes up in cost again, which it will, that Wyoming will lower the cost of good? Not bloody likely.

How about this, of Wyoming is going broke, why don't they start to charge you good residence income tax?

25-Feb-17
"I don't have a problem paying to play, but to continue to raise fees on non residents, or really anyone, isn't a great solution."

I'll ask again. What is a great solution?

"How about this, of Wyoming is going broke, why don't they start to charge you good residence income tax?"

For starters, you really think the good residents of Wyoming should pay extra taxes so others can come here and play? That will certainly generate lots of support.

In this day and age, hunting is no longer needed for survival. In it's simplest terms, it's entertainment. Do you also feel it's unfair when movie, ballgame, concert,etc, ticket prices are raised? Using your rationale, the people that work at those places should pay extra taxes in order for prices for the general public to remain the same. No thanks.

25-Feb-17
Well let's keep in mind....that going there to play....is on a lot of federal land.....and Wyoming relies heavily on tourism.

The lesson of the day I would say is, when you need to generate revenue, you do in a manner that isn't in enormous jumps.

We have a gentlemen here advocating doubling the fees. And then raising the fees again if there's still a demand.

What is my solution?

If you need more money, do it responsibly. Not to mention Wyoming already holds everyone's refunds for an extended period of time, collecting interest on everyone's money, which is a small percentage on the return, but a small percentage on a lot of people. That's a hell of a generator there of money.

Reality is this....price increases, can and often will drive people away. If your state is that broke, then pony up the income tax.

But I also don't recall Wyoming cutting fees when they were an extremely rich state either. When oil was booming. Perhaps they should pass a law that gets rid of the, use it or lose it??

Wyoming receives large amounts of Pittman Robertson money as well. Which Wyoming admits, will Decline due to anticipated gun sales declining.

So in a way, you want to accept federal dollars from a federal Program that anyone from all 50 states would pay into from any and all hunting purchases, and then also turn around and say, why should we pay income Tax so you can come Play?

25-Feb-17
Here's my solution. Either become a resident of Wyoming, or remain a NR and complain any time fees are increased.

There are many residents that used to advocate and fight for nonresident rights and privileges, myself included. However, when all we hear is complaining every time license fees go up, or threatening to ignore the restrictions for wilderness areas, that willingness is diminishing rather rapidly. If you lose the support of residents, good luck getting anything done on your behalf.

25-Feb-17
Well first of all, I never mentioned the wilderness law, nor did I say a word about ignoring it.

2nd of all, the debate here began because some people advocated pricing increases for personal gain, not for the financial interest of fame and fish.

3rd of all, Wyoming is a very small fish in a large pond in the hunting world. If Wyoming could rely on its residents for everything, then you wouldn't need the non residents. Much less more of their money.

4th, Wyoming appears to now be having a hard time standing on its own, so be very careful in assuming the world needs Wyoming more than it needs the world.

25-Feb-17
Never said you mentioned the wilderness law. This isn't the only thread that people have voiced their objections. As far as Wyoming only relying on residents, please name any state that does.

If you feel Wyoming needs you more than you need it, then you are certainly welcome to stay home or go to another state. Pretty simple. I'm confident someone else will gladly take the tag you don't want.

The overwhelming sense of entitlement exhibited by some is truly amazing.

25-Feb-17
So says the guy who wants the non residents to foot the whole bill for the fish and game while his fees are a very small fraction of what the non resident pays.

25-Feb-17
all entities need to learn how to make the funds they are getting work. The Game and Fish has so much waste it is ridiculous. quit raising fees for a while and figure out where you need to cut waste.

25-Feb-17
"Price needs to double, and if there's still more demand than there is tags, increase it again. That's how business work fellas. If your demand exceeds your ability to meet it, your prices are to low... Just common a$$ sense."

The same could be said of vehicle license plate fees. Double then double again. Is everyone going to park their vehicles no. Double sales tax and then double again. Going to stop buying toilet paper? Nope. Just because a government can double or triple a usage fee or other tax does not make it the best for society. Double tag fees and the average net worth and annual income for those getting tags is going to be higher. Is it wise to push out Joe Six-Pack so another Richie Rich heads to WY? Guess who will hire lots of outfitters and push for transferable landowner tags and outfitter tags and auction tags? Yep, that is what happens when you shift your hunter pool to be wealthier. They will write checks to get friendly politicians elected that understand the need to have an outfitter allotment and auctions tags. Money talks in politics and politics is part of G&F whether it is who is appointed to positions or the laws that get rammed through while you are out busy at the day job.

25-Feb-17
The same goes with people, learn to make the funds we get work! Which is probably easier to do, or at least more directly in our control than making the government do it.

However yes, gov needs to manage their spending, however hunting carries minor interest as a whole.

25-Feb-17
Geez....Am I going to have to wade through all of this to see who drew Wyo tags in 3 days??? lol

25-Feb-17
Heck yes, Nick. We want you NR's to suffer as much as possible! lol!

25-Feb-17
No need to wade thru all this bull$hit.

I'll start another thread.

The de-railers can keep this one alive

25-Feb-17

bud's embedded Photo
bud's embedded Photo
Cnelk I paid around 500 to hunt a cow in CO I could hunt the same herd in WY for 52. But I hunted with my daughter in CO. Well worth the money. It's all good. Some things you can't put a dollar value on.

25-Feb-17
If anyone can rotate my picture feel free I don't know how. Lol.

25-Feb-17
Way to go Brad!! haha

What a circle jerk this thread has turned into---------->

Good luck, Robb

"Edit" Can any of you take a normal side UP pic?? my hell-----

25-Feb-17
@bud

You should see "Image Tools' at the top of your photo. Select "Rotate 180" and that should take care of it

25-Feb-17
Elkman, are you really that much of jerk that you don't want to see the average family guy be able to afford a tag? I can afford going out of state but there really is no reason to raise tags to double the price. Your state is full of enough liberals as it is and people quit supporting hunting and guess what liberals start passing laws to take away your rights. Look at California!!

26-Feb-17
The truth is the truth. Like it, hate it, read it here, read it on other threads, and reality sometimes sucks, but we all know who hates reality. "Liberals"... JS

26-Feb-17
Have the results came out yet? ;)

28-Feb-17
Larry Hicks has added an amendment to HB 288 raising the NR elk license to around $800 and it does away the the special elk tag! Contact your legislatures and ask them to vote against this.

28-Feb-17
Larry Hicks is well-known for coming up with off-the-wall legislation every single year. This will go nowhere.

28-Feb-17
I hope you are right Wyo, yea he sure comes up with some far out legislation, wish his constituents would wise up to his nonsense!

28-Feb-17
I think if they did anything it should be maybe drop the % allocated to the special draw and raise that price a good bit, which would allow more tags for the reg draw. Also maybe a reasonable increase on the reg draw tags.

28-Feb-17
I think Wyoming could offer an archery only general tag for non residents. Cause seriously, how many actually do both rifle and archery as non residents? With lower success rates for archers, they could conceivably add more tags. Therefore driving down demand for current general tag and increase revenue?

28-Feb-17
I hear it has legs this time.

28-Feb-17
I'd support a fee increase and doing away with the Special draw.

28-Feb-17

Trial153's Link
A state with the economy the size if Wyoming better think long and hard about decisions that effect non resident hunting. No one lives in a vacuum.

28-Feb-17
The Hicks amendment sends the revenue to the Game dept if I remember correctly, and why it's getting support. 1.6 million to the Dept.

01-Mar-17
Wyoming will be just fine... ;-)

01-Mar-17
The Bill has morphed, a bunch.

• Sitka Gear