greenmountain 25-Feb-17
Boris 26-Feb-17
MDW 28-Feb-17
t-roy 28-Feb-17
meatus 28-Feb-17
Bowriter 28-Feb-17
cnelk 28-Feb-17
24-Feb-17
Hey guys, a good friend and myself are planning on knocking on doors here in a week or two. Ultimately we want bowhunting permission, but we're considering asking permission to shed hunt, then to turkey hunt, then to deer hunt etc etc. that's just one idea of ours, we are still running ideas through our heads to exactly how to go about this. We know the basics on how to present ourselves and what not, but we're trying to strategize exactly what to say. What has worked for all of you? Do you pre plan your words or just go with the flow? We have limited experience with this and want to optimize our percentage of yes's. Thanks guys

24-Feb-17
Always be humble, also make sure you make eye contact and shake hands. Tell them you admire their farm or land and are curious if they let folks hunt. I just go with the flow, if I am out of state I try to go where the locals seem to hang out, local diner, maybe feed store or local co-op and intriduce myself there. I have had good luck in most places I have asked for permission but success is few and far between. I would say if you are kucky 1 in 10 will give you permission. This past year in Kansas I tried 37 seperate landowners and got permission to bow hunt from 2, one was only a few acres and the other was well over a couple thousand. Scooby

24-Feb-17
Scooby X2

And don't wear anything camouflage or hunting related, not even a hat. Dress decent, but not to nice.

Scar.

24-Feb-17
Just give 'em the old "We're here to hunt your land; when do we start?!"

Works every time!

24-Feb-17
If you're goal is to hunt deer then only ask for deer. Don't ask to shed and turkey hunt too. That's too much. Chances are if you build a good relationship after deer hunting there a couple years you'll be able to do the shed hunting and turkey hunting too.

Have a plat map with you and know where their property boundaries are.

24-Feb-17
You could ask them if they need a hand with farm work, feeding cattle, bailing hay or even just picking up the trash along the roads.

24-Feb-17
Not many no trespassing signs up here but I always ask anyway if it isn't timber company land. One guy in our village doesn't post but isn't very friendly and shoots all the time. He is a cowboy action shooter and spends winters in Arizona. I offered to check his place in the winter and I have his 300+ acres all to myself to hunt and trap as people are scared to death of the guy and he wouldn't hurt a soul. I have another place with the same deal. We have a lot of snowbirds up here on the border. A few years ago a group of us drove out to the midwest and hit a few coffee shops, yakked with some old patrons and had permission to hunt several places. My brother and I are heading South this coming fall to do the same thing. Treat people nice, offer them some venison and they treat you nice.

24-Feb-17
That's kinda cheatin, bringing Ryan with you, ain't it scoot? ;-)

I agree with brettpsu on offering to help out with chores, etc. Some sweat equity can go a long way in opening some doors/gates.

24-Feb-17
I agree with Scoot that the shed hunting first (this time of year) may work as a door opener. Once on the property you should compliment what you believe they are proud of and then figure out some opportunity to help them with some work or improvement. The key as in any relationship is to offer something up to help them and see if it works for you both. Good luck!!

24-Feb-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I just send these two up to the door while I start clearing shooting lanes. Ha!

Seriously though, just present yourself in a humble, honest manner. Introduce yourself, show them respect, be direct in asking, and be polite and respectful when you get turned down. I've had guys change their mind after turning me down because I was nice to them and hung around and BS'd for awhile. Sometimes the best place to get permission is in the local tavern or at the local coffee spot. Stop in for a couple beers/cups and get to know some of the locals and have them get to know you. Makes asking a lot easier when you already have a relationship.

Once you gain permission then build the relationship by helping around the property, offering gifts, etc. Don't just show up and hunt and then disappear until the next season. Maintain and foster that relationship year round!

24-Feb-17
Deer hunt only for starters......if granted, take a camera and take some really good photos ie.sunrise/sunset showing their farm in the best light.Frame them or a montague for Christmas and you have made huge strides in building the goodwill necessary to STAY.

Asking for buddies too would be a no no for me as two is a crowd.Later in the process it's must better.

24-Feb-17
Hey Justin....do you think ya'll would have time to hunt my stands during peak rut?....I'll even buy licenses haha

That is cheatin....' me likey!!

24-Feb-17
Maybe holding a baby or a cute puppy.

What's worked for the guys that hunt all the land I used to is "how does 2000$/deer work".

24-Feb-17
Brotsky's got the market cornered on this whole cheating thing.

24-Feb-17
Don't tell them you're a lawyer. . . Make something else up. Convicted felon maybe? Better chance than telling them you're a lawyer :)

24-Feb-17
Told a fellow in MT to show up at the door with a set of fencing pliers. Not sure why, but working branding, fencing or other things will increase your odds. This is the time of year to do so. With calving and all the other things, you can make yourself useful and maybe get some hunt time.

If you get permission, it's for you, not your bestest buddy or brother in law. Never assume you can bring company.

Once you have it and kill that big buck, shut up about where. In fact shut up before. The rancher doesn't want your referrals.

24-Feb-17
As a landowner who's been asked many times by door knockers, here's the only advice I can give. Never open the conversation by going right straight to a question like: "do you let folks hunt?". That's too abrupt, a little bit wishy-washy, and you make it easy for the LO to give you a flat 'no'.

Be direct, but ease into the conversation a bit. First apologize for disturbing the guy and mention that you'll be quick. Briefly explain who you are, where you're from, and your interests. Make it clear that only two of you are involved and there'd be no one else set foot on his property, ever. Preferably it would be for just one guy, but if it's two of you, then say that. If you have hunter safety certification you might bring that up briefly. Take a permission form or card that makes a hold-harmless statement for liability issues. Finally just ask very directly and clearly for permission to hunt his land. Good luck, it will be a tough row to hoe no doubt.

24-Feb-17
If you are asking in a semi-local area I've found it helps to name/place drop if you can. Even a slight connection ("Oh, I have a buddy that works there too...") can help. People feel more comfortable with you if they can place you in the local community.

25-Feb-17
I can tell you a prime example of what has worked for me. I asked one friend if I could hunt the upper edge of his property. permission was given for one season and one season only. I was thankful and the following spring I stopped by to tell him and his family that I had a good hunt. It turns out that he was having trouble with his tractor. Within five minutes of meeting face to face I was under his tractor troubleshooting. I don't remember what I fixed nor does he, but he reminds me often of the first impression. We have walked the land together and picked up his hay. By the second fall when I asked permission It was cheerfully given. The point is If you want to hunt a property is its best to invest in a friendship rather than just a place to hunt.

26-Feb-17
The first question that most of the land owners have asked me is" Do you own an ATV" I tell them no. Good you can hunt.

28-Feb-17
Let me give you the ultimate story!

A guy from another state comes in and turkey hunts with me a couple different years.

Starts asking about property for sale and asks me to keep an eye out for him. To shorten this story a bit, I find a property, he buys it.

Now he asks if I can keep an eye on things. This has been going on for the past 10 years, he asks when he can come hunt his own property one week for spring turkey and another week for whitetail deer. The other 11 1/2 months of the year, I do what I want with it. Farm, run a few cows, hunt, NOW, IS THAT THE ULTIMATE FOR GETTING PERMISSION?

28-Feb-17
The guy must be a good judge of character, Marvin! :-)

28-Feb-17
First impressions are paramount. Dress nice, no camo, speak clearly without any cursing or slang, eye contact is a must, a firm hand shake when you initially introduce yourself, be courteous even if you hear a "NO", I've had landowners who said no come back to to me as I was leaving reconsider just because of how respectful our conversation was. Always offer to help around the property or farm, free labor is always welcomed at most farms in exchange for hunting rights. Also, a pre-printed permission slip where you can give them your info as well as attain theirs come in handy as well. like already stated here, you may here 99 NO's but that 1 Yes could be a honey hole. good luck

28-Feb-17
Back some years ago, I wrote an entire article for Bowhunt America on getting permission. I'll just say this: For 15-years, I hunted a 112-acre farm that belonged to an African American, female doctor of psychology who was a card carrying, money donating member of PETA. After the first year, I had her eating deer meat and making moccasins out of the hide. There is a way to ask, a time to ask and a time to shut up. I also do not subscribe to working for permission. There is a much better way.

28-Feb-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Working/helping my ranching friends has provided me with lots of opportunities. Every Memorial Day we brand 800-900 calves.

• Sitka Gear