oldgoat 26-Feb-17
LesWelch 27-Feb-17
elkstabber 28-Feb-17
bill v 28-Feb-17
TD 01-Mar-17
TD 01-Mar-17
Nick Muche 01-Mar-17
26-Feb-17
still struggling onto which sleeping bag to buy i know that i want a synthetic bag

whats a good compacktable weight to look at im hoping to get one in the low 2lbs mark or near that

im thinking a 20* bag will work ill bring along a lite rolled up fleece blanket in case it does drop to super cold nights ( i am a warm sleeper )

Colorado hunt last 14 days of season well be in the mountains spike camping

26-Feb-17
Yeah, you can always wear some clothes to bed if we get a cold season for a change. I bought a used Kifaru Center Zip after last elk season so I only got to use it a few nights out on the plains deer hunting in November, but I liked it really well, with one of their 5 string compression sacks it really packs down well. I've been using a Big Agnes last two years, really nice system but it is heavy but super comfy. One thing I don't like about them though is the sleeping pad is the insulation in the bottom of the bag, so if something unrepairable happens to it, your basically sleeping on the ground.

27-Feb-17
Kifaru Slick bag. My favorite. I've also got a Western Mountaineering, but it will only sit in the truck now.

28-Feb-17
A good option is made by Enlightened Equipment. They make quilts - not bags and they are preferred by many backpackers. EE is best known for their down filled quilts but they also make at least one synthetic filled quilt. It's called the Revelation Apex. It's very similar to the Kifaru Slick bag but is lighter and less expensive. It's lighter duty than the Kifaru, but definitely something to consider.

28-Feb-17
Big buck, I can tell you one thing I dont like, and thats the mummy bag style.

I'm no expert at all on bags, but the mummy bag I have seems a little restrictive down on my legs. Im always twisted up.

Just what I noticed

bill v

01-Mar-17
All I know.... if you get it wrong and things go polar..... at 2am and it's hours away from sunrise you will pay any money and pack any weight to be WARM..... not teeth chattering "survivable", but comfortably warm....

But then my thermostat is set pretty high......and I like things guaranteed.....

01-Mar-17

01-Mar-17
Kifaru Slick for me too. Great synthetic bag.

• Sitka Gear