Paul@thefort 02-Mar-17
t-roy 02-Mar-17
Brotsky 02-Mar-17
EmbryOklahoma 02-Mar-17
26-Feb-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I might add a plastic bucket to the bottom of the cart to where the blind fits in
I might add a plastic bucket to the bottom of the cart to where the blind fits in
I purchased this cart for $9 at a discount store. Works in more places where it is flat
I purchased this cart for $9 at a discount store. Works in more places where it is flat

26-Feb-17
Thanks for posting this Paul! I want to make a turkey cart this year and this will give me some ideas! I like yours!

26-Feb-17
Cart? I take an A.L.I.C.E. pack, maybe I need more stuff?

26-Feb-17
Pete, you know that the generals say, "the one with the most stuff wins the war".

26-Feb-17

Ridge Wraith's embedded Photo
Ridge Wraith's embedded Photo
This is what I use as I generally have plenty of cargo.

26-Feb-17
I like it Paul, just needs some all terrain wheels! ;-)

26-Feb-17
Yard sales would be a good place to start.

26-Feb-17
Looks like it could be an antelope cart to.

26-Feb-17

tobinsghost's embedded Photo
Here it is being used for deer!
Here it is being used for deer!

26-Feb-17

Even my 11 year old uses it for his deer!
Even my 11 year old uses it for his deer!

26-Feb-17

No pics loaded up for turkey tho. I'll remedy that in a couple of months!

27-Feb-17
Hmmm.....Makes me think twice about the two folding golf carts I have in the garage now that very closely resemble what I can see of your cart, Paul.

I had planned to yard-sale them since golf is pretty much a thing of the past now for the wife and I, but this application looks like it would also be a good alternative use for hauling in not only a blind but also my climbing sticks and a hang-on during deer season. May have to load one of them up with some weight to see if it can handle 150# or so to also carry a deer out over moderate terrain and distance.

I'm no longer concerned with carrying out an elk over miles of mountainous terrain. My needs now are more limited, but somewhat more needed than in past years. If I can tote a whitetail carcass, field-dressed, about a half mile on a log road, it would likely suffice for the rest of my days.

27-Feb-17
Russ, not sure about hauling out a deer on the golf cart. The width of the wheels is fairly narrow, causing the cart to tip up when the cart's wheel goes over a rock, etc and the carts lifts on one side-- very unstable. The sticks and hang on stand might work with some experimenting. I recommend the use of draw down, nylon straps and not stretch cords as they stretch too much causing the load to shift. Tobinsghost's cart above is a good one for hauling gear and deer.

27-Feb-17
my turkey cart is at Walmart in the parking lot . at least so far , I have yet to take one with a bow .

27-Feb-17
I use a backpack

28-Feb-17
I've been using Paul's rig for about five years, with the bucket on the bottom to help hold things in. Works great,and is surprisingly mobile when you head through the timber.

28-Feb-17

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Cart what's that? ;-). .... back in my own blind using days this how I roll.... and still do when I take hunters who want to use a blind. Blind, decoys, bow and bird coming out is just good training for September elk season the way I look at it.

28-Feb-17
There is no doubt that a wheeled cart will not work every place depending on where one hunts. Actually, when I head out for Merriams in the high country of Colorado, the cart stays home and everything goes on my back, yea, just like elk hunting. A cart works, but in moderate country, down a farm road, down a two track, across a spring winter wheat field or prior to the plow. Carts are a tool, just like a back pack to get one's stuff to the hunting site.

01-Mar-17
I used a golf bag cart, then I converted a 2 wheel moving cart by changing the axle and adding 20" wheels, it doubles as a deer cart. When hunting antelope I use my commercial deer cart as in your pictures as I'm usually carrying 2 full body decoys.

01-Mar-17
Thanks, Paul.

I'm sure the narrower wheel spacing would be an issue on rougher ground, but I'm somewhat limited these days in the terrain I travel, and I suspect the stability of the cart might just be better than that of the operator. 8^)

The kid brother and I used the folding carts quite a bit without mishap when we golfed together, usually on the most affordable local courses, and his bag i'm pretty sure outweighed a few of my dressed deer.

At any rate, the idea will bug me until I get around to further investigation., and the main ingredients are available at "yard sale prices", so.....

The project may have to wait a while until some items with more seniority on the "to-do" list get attention, though.

01-Mar-17
X2 Paul and writer. With a 5 gallon bucket strapped to the pull cart I can stick two blind chairs and the blind itself in the bucket for a more secure rig.

01-Mar-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Half Pint's "cart" works really well for her, although I'm up for trying something new! :)

01-Mar-17
Brotsky that must be the all terrain model. I may need to borrow that come September.

02-Mar-17
My kids have always used the same method as Half-pint, but I like this idea. Thanks Paul. I'll see if I can put something together this year and give it a try. Seems like it would work for a lot of places I hunt (but not some too). I like the idea of strapping in a bucket into into the bottom and slipping my gear inside of the bucket- I'd guess it'll hold it well and you could put a few extras in there, like maybe even a decoy (or maybe not).

Brotsky, I'm sure you carry a dang heavy pack sometimes, just like I do for this. My double bull is heavy and I'm not smart enough to carry light chairs, like you are. Once you add in a couple decoys, extra clothes, my bow, snacks for a week (for your morning hunt), it all adds up to a plenty heavy pack. I'm sure many of you can relate...

02-Mar-17
I'm a lot luckier now, half pint carries her own pack with our calls, water, snacks, and her blanket. She generally carries the decoys too now. She really wants to help which is nice, plus she's strong as an ox for her size(all those gymnastics workouts). Her mom just gets out of the truck and asks who is carrying her bow! Ha!

I dug up a cart like Paul's above and a 5 gallon pail which I can strap to it. I think I'll give it a go, one spot we hunt I know it will work for 90% of the trip.

02-Mar-17

Buck Watcher's embedded Photo
Buck Watcher's embedded Photo
No cart for me. But my Otter Sled works good. Room for a heater/20# propane tank and a decoy bag too.

02-Mar-17
For a second I thought that was a small bass boat.

02-Mar-17

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Here's a couple ideas I got from google..

02-Mar-17
That is toooooooooo funny

02-Mar-17
Rick....You have too much free time ;>}

02-Mar-17
Rick, if I had a cart like that I could sit in the wagon and use my turkey call. As fast as the turkeys run away when I call I might get where I'm going awful quick!

02-Mar-17
Yes, Troy, I've heard that before. My mind is always a blurr. ;)

I look forward to seeing all of you guys killing some turkeys this spring.

• Sitka Gear