deerslayer 28-Feb-17
CurveBow 01-Mar-17
XMan 01-Mar-17
27-Feb-17

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Kinda slow right now on whitetail forum. We're also starting the off-season "bickers"

Thought I'd give us something else to bicker about. . .

So how old is this deer? I'm REALLY excited about this deer. Can't wait to see what he looks like this year. He was still alive on January 9. I pulled cams shortly after. I've been keeping an eye out for his sheds, but no luck so far

27-Feb-17
I'm thinking 3, maybe 4. It looks like he may have some sway in his back (or it could be the camera angle).

He's a dandy! Good luck!

27-Feb-17

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo

27-Feb-17

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo

27-Feb-17

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo

27-Feb-17
Sure looks like a three year old in that last pic Bake.

27-Feb-17

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo

27-Feb-17
Very cool buck. One can only guess, but 2.5 based on the slender body in that Oct 10th picture, and also when considering the lack of mass in the antler bases. I assume you have no known pictures of him from the prior year, meaning he was probably a non-descript yearling buck in 2015-16.

27-Feb-17
That deer is really skinny if he's 3 1/2 IMO. Only thing that says he's 3 1/2 to me is his beam length. He could just have great genes and be 2 1/2?? No belly, he's all legs

27-Feb-17
After seeing the other pics, definitely 3, though in some of them he looks like a 2 year old!!

27-Feb-17
Looking strictly at his body I would think he's a well developed 2.5 yr old with some very incredible potential.

27-Feb-17
I got nothing from prior years. But this year he didn't show up until September. I didn't get any velvet pics.

I'm hoping he's here this fall. We get a lot of 2 and 3 year olds that disappear after spending a lot of time on the farm in one fall. Whether they die, or move on, who knows? Generally though, if they're here two years in a row, they'll stay until they die or get killed. Seems to be how it works on this farm

So this is the important year in my mind. If he's around consistently, he'll probably be around until he's dead.

If he stays around, he'll start narrowing the portion of the farm he's on too. That also seems to be the way it works here. So I still gotta hope he picks MY acreage to spend the majority of his time.

I love this stuff. . . .

27-Feb-17

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo

27-Feb-17
Southern Missouri. Closest ag field is 2 miles away. Mostly rocky ridges. Bottom fields can provide some nutritious forage if not overgrazed by cattle

27-Feb-17

Bake's embedded Photo
5 1/2
Bake's embedded Photo
5 1/2
Bake's embedded Photo
4 1/2
Bake's embedded Photo
4 1/2
Bake's embedded Photo
4 1/2
Bake's embedded Photo
4 1/2
Bake's embedded Photo
5 1/2
Bake's embedded Photo
5 1/2
If you'll bear with me, I'll provide some known age bucks on this post, that were all verified by cementum annuli. All the same farm. . . . Should give you an idea

27-Feb-17
I would guess 3.5 if there is not an over abundance of ag in the area.

27-Feb-17

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Another pic of the above 2 year old
Bake's embedded Photo
Another pic of the above 2 year old
Here's a confirmed deer, that I killed at 4 1/2. In these pictures, this buck was 2 1/2. I'm thinking Quatro is 2 1/2 too. But he could be 3.

27-Feb-17
He looks younger than 4 - doesn't have a beer belly yet.

27-Feb-17
I am far from an expert but I shoot a lot of bucks with the same type body as that. So I'm guessing he is a 2.5 yr old buck. :)

27-Feb-17
Seems every year at season end we leave behind a big pack of great 3.5 year olds but then the following season we see only a few. Deer die in many ways beyond hunting. Testosterone levels and peak breeding/fighting chores seem to get them in various trouble. Cars, fences and various injuries can take them down. Thankfully a few make it:)

27-Feb-17
uno

dos

tres

cuatro Must be 4 or will be on the hit list when it's believed he is 4? And if not killed at cuatro, will be contest for a new name

27-Feb-17
:) He's "Quatro" because of his double G3s--4 points there

27-Feb-17
Is that split G3s on both sides? That deer is awesome, love character! I say 3.5.

27-Feb-17
My guess is 2.5. Pretty slender necked for an older deer IMO.

Bake, you said you are excited about this deer. If you think he's only 2.5 in the pics, will he get a pass this fall as a 3.5?

27-Feb-17
If he's around this fall he will get a pass from me. I may have to sit on my hands :).

2018 though . . .if he's alive, he'll be in trouble, maybe

27-Feb-17
Won't get a pass by me! But then I would get a pass from. Bake in 2018 ;)

--jim

28-Feb-17
Speaking of Quatro.....I don't understando as I only speak American.

28-Feb-17
At the rate he's going, he may add 40" this year.

You might need to put on some handcuffs and toss the key when you see him..........

28-Feb-17
My honest guess would be 2.5, if he is - you have reason to be excited! Heck even if he's 3.5 he could be a giant one day.

28-Feb-17
3.5... nice looking critter.

28-Feb-17
I would guess 3.5

01-Mar-17
My guess is 2.5 based on the body size & proportions. Obviously, superb genetics!

>>>>-------->

01-Mar-17
I agree with you Bake, 2 1/2

• Sitka Gear