ohiohunter 04-Apr-17
jordanathome 04-Apr-17
BR Stinger 05-Apr-17
jordanathome 08-Apr-17
jims 09-Apr-17
SteveB 09-Apr-17
jims 09-Apr-17
27-Feb-17
For those that own them, what's your favorite Lowa for elk hunting?

27-Feb-17
Renegade, light and comfortable.

27-Feb-17
I have multiple pairs of Tibets and the Renegades. The Tibets are a great boot fit wise for me. They are a very stiff boot, and feet do get a little sore over time. After 1-2 season's (elk only) they will not stay dry, and that for me is becoming a deal breaker. I hate wet feet. I wore the Renegade's, literally out of the box last year, and loved them. Much more comfortable, but much less support. Great elk hunting boot, but maybe a little light for packing, for most people.

I have new Crispi's that I have been climbing on the stair mill with a loaded pack. Very promising so far.

27-Feb-17
Cevedale pro till they leaked.

27-Feb-17
I have the Tech light hunters and innox. I where the innox mostly. They are damn near weightless and don't provide the support some like. I where the tech lights when in extremely steep country or when it's wet. Both are great boots and I'll buy them again when they wear out.

27-Feb-17
I love the Renegades as well. I've been using them for two years and love them. I'd definitely buy another pair...

27-Feb-17
Love my Renegade's for hunting. I still wear my Asolo's for packing the meat.

27-Feb-17
I'm on my third pair of Tibets, not because of wear but mainly due to finally getting the correct size dialed in. I'm with Les on the Tibets and I'm also unhappy with the fact that they leak really bad after only about 4-5 elk seasons. I replaced the insoles in mine and I think I was more satisfied with the fit and my feet didn't get sore in them at all.

I've also had a pair of Renegades since 2014 and like them a lot for day hunts where I'm not backpacking a heavy load, although for me they are a little lacking on support and traction.

If you're considering Lowa Tibet's or something similar I would highly recommend also looking at Hanwag Alaska's. I bought a pair last year and put the Lathrop insoles in them. They are very similar to Tibets but a little more flexible and they fit my feet better. I'm very happy with them. I plan to do a thread with a side-by-side comparison between Lowa Tibet's and Hanwag Alaska's.

27-Feb-17
I went from the Lowa Cevedale to the Hanwag. I had to switch insoles in the Hanwag, going to the Lathrop insole because of less internal volume. Nice boot so far.

27-Feb-17
Renegade for hiking, hunting, light backpacking. I have a pair of Vasque, not sure of the model, for heavy loads.

27-Feb-17
Thanks guys. I've had a pair of Renegades for the last two seasons and really like them as well. I was looking at the Camino's for a little heavier duty boot since my Meindl's finally gave out on me after 8 seasons.

27-Feb-17
ive had good luck with the tibets but they fit me well and I haven't experienced the leak yet had them 5 years but who knows you just gotta find a boot that fits you.

27-Feb-17
I bought Bighorn GTX from shoebuy.com. They have a nice return policy and currently have a 25% off sale. I went through a couple of sizes before settling on the size I used for my Alaskan sheep hunt. They were very good about returns. Definitely get an different insert than what they come with, as others have stated.

27-Feb-17
Renegades are a very comfortable boot, but without rubber side banding, they're easy to cut open along the sides in rocky terrain.

Tibets are much more durable, but less comfortable with their stiff, hard soles. I'd recommend wearing gaiters at all times with either one of these boots in wet conditions. That's your only hope against wet feet.

27-Feb-17
I prefer Bighorns to Tibets and if you want a little less boot, I prefer the Ranger to the Renegade. If Lowa makes it, I've owned them.

27-Feb-17
x2 on superfeet, only with a good boot tech. I have a pair in my Vasque, but like the Renegades factory speck.

27-Feb-17
Renegade!! All the way. The only boot I can put on new and use without a breakin period. Super comfy and puts a spring in your step for sure!

27-Feb-17
Kscowboy, I use shoebuy.com as well. Free shipping, free returns, and, like you said, 25% off today. That's why I was shopping some new boots today. :-)

27-Feb-17
Ohio, I bought my hanwag Alaska on campsaver for 40% off. You can order them from rei and have a year to return but no discount.

27-Feb-17
Thank you, I'm gonna have to look into some. I love lowas, but that might only be bc I haven't tried the hanwags.

27-Feb-17
I have a pair of Tibets that have lasted well. They are super comfortable and offer lots of ankle support. I only wear them any more in deep snow because they are a chunk heavier in weight and stiffer than I like. If you are trying to quietly I would definitely recommend a lighter boot with thinner sole that isn't quite as stiff. I had a pair of Renegades and they are super light with great soles. They are great for stalking and covering lots of country. My go-to boots for elk hunting are Scarpa Kailash. They offer (me) plenty of ankle support, are reasonably light, and have out-lasted any boot I've owned. I've used the same pair on 2 Alaska sheep hunts and 2 mtn goat hunts. They've never leaked and are super rugged. The Renegades would be great if you want super light and a great stalking boot and the Kailash are super rugged. I had a pair of Hanwags and didn't like them near as much as Scarpas.

27-Feb-17
After 3 Years, I've destroyed the outside of my Renegades...seams are split, etc.

Amazingly, they still stay dry

They were out of warranty, but Lowa gave me a one-time 20 percent discount on a new pair.

Best of Luck, Jeff

27-Feb-17
Camino is the best fitting boot I've ever owned. I wasn't just pleasantly surprised, having had to order them sight unseen, I was ecstatic. Not nearly as stiff as the Tibet and a good deal more support than the Renegade. The sole material is softer (quieter) than the Tibets as well. They had a short break in. Lowa's are kind of known as having a slightly narrow fit overall, mostly in the heel, but also fairly generous in the toe box. I'd been a big fan of custom Russells, but for various reasons wanted to try another boot when my Russells finally wore through the sides. Very glad I did.

I went with the leather lined and the comfort level is a notch above the GTX (gore lined) IMO. I think after a few years the gore springs leaks anyway. I treat my boots with MT pitch blend, sometimes Obenaufs first. Only time I've had wet feet was when my pants were soaked and wicked the water down my socks.

27-Feb-17
I've got to try a pair of Caminos.

27-Feb-17
Kota, I've told folks the Camino is between a Tibet and Renegade, but honestly more between the Tibet and Ranger.... just that not as many are familiar with the Ranger. It actually has a shank which the Renegade lacks (I forget the specs on the Ranger) but the shank tapers from heel to toe and is roughly half the thickness of the Tibet. Coach has a pair of Renegades and IMO they are one step over a "hiking" tennis shoe..... Ok for most trail "hiking" but not "packing".... the Ranger is more substantial, and moving into the "boot" category.

And a disclaimer.... when I say "best fitting boot I've owned" as with all boots.... it means it fit ME the best I've found. YMMV of course.

28-Feb-17
Love my Tibets for rough terrain and heavy loads.

28-Feb-17
After using Kenetreks for 3-4 years, I can't put into words how much I love my Tibets. They just agree with my foot shape I guess.

28-Feb-17
Renegade for early elk.....but take along my Tibets just in case the elements toss a curve.

28-Feb-17
I have a pur of Lowa GTX in 12 that don't fit. If anybody needs them I will make them a great deal. They also have L&S footbeds. I replaced them with a pair of Vasque and I have been satisfied.

28-Feb-17
Tibet gtx

28-Feb-17
Shiloh,

PM sent

28-Feb-17
Bought a pair of Tibet GTX boots two years ago.

I have long been a fan of the Meindle boots, but these Lowa's are now my favorites. Love 'em!

28-Feb-17
Definitely the Renegades Lightweight very good boot

28-Feb-17
Lowa Tibet GTX fit my feet great. I had an ankle sprain a few years back and the Dr said, "that's too bad you didn't break your leg, it would heal faster". She wasn't lying, I can still feel some weakness in my ankle, so I like the extra support. Have not tried some of the other Lowa's. Before my Tibet's, I was a big fan of Asolo, but my last 2 pair had durability issues.

28-Feb-17
Mine are Tibets. Gonna ship them to scarfinga tomorrow for him to try. No need in them sitting unused.

01-Mar-17
Had a pair of Cevedale pro... worse boots I ever bought, stiff, no flex, sold them to someone on Ebay. than went to Cabela's and bought a pair of Meindl Men's "Perfekt™" 10" the best boot I ever owned. I'm not knocking down any boot, just saying what works for my feet. Try the boots on first before you commit your money and your feet. zimmy

01-Mar-17
I'm really hoping they fit, I was just telling my wife that I was going to get a second pair of these as backups. They are hands down the best boot I have ever worn!

05-Mar-17
Does anyone know if the Renegade comes in wide ?

05-Mar-17
SteveB, Yes they come in wide.

06-Mar-17
Yes, I have them in 11 wide.

06-Mar-17
For Sept elk I would say its a toss between the Camino and the Ranger. They fit me the same and think the Range may be a hair more stiff but similar. To me the Renegade fit is the same as the other 2 just not nearly as stiff but I wouldn't hesitate to hunt in them just may swap them out if hauling meat.

06-Mar-17
I have a pair of Lowa Zephr GTX. Had them about 5 years. They are comfortable but a little on the heavy side. I rotate them in the other boots I have, but will not replace them when they wear out. I find I don't what a stiff or heavy boot for most uses, and trend toward minimal weight and support. I do have a pair of Scarpa Kailash (as does a poster above) that I break out for serious stuff. My favorite is an all leather Teva model 4309 (name not shown) that Is discontinued.

06-Mar-17
My Caminos came today and I agree with huntabsarokee and TD above. In Lowa I currently have Rangers, Caminos, Tibets, Cevedale Pro, Bighorns and Hunter GTX. My favorites in the mountains are still the Bighorns. The Lowa brand fits me like they were made for me. I have a narrow heel and wider forefoot and every pair of Lowas I've ever put on fit me perfect with the exception of the Tibet. The Tibet seems to run just a hair shorter than the rest of them.

I wear the Rangers for work everyday in the Winter. I wear the Hunter GTX late season. I wear the Bighorns for almost all mountain hunts. I think the Camino would be a great early season non-technical elk boot providing a bit more support than the Renegades, but they are also stiffer than the Renegades. Once you get used to a stiff boot, it is hard to go back to a boot like the Renegade for hunting. (for me anyway) IMO if you are hunting the steep stuff a stiff boot is imperative. For most elk hunts a comfortable, non technical boot is usually adequate. If you don't like a stiff boot, the Renegade will fit the bill. If you want something stiffer the Camino or Ranger would be perfect. After the Camino and Ranger, you make a big jump into "more boot" with the Clevedale Pro, the Tibet, the Bighorn and the Hunter GTX. The last 4 are all great choices for sheep and goats.

06-Mar-17
kota-man,

Sounds like you and I have a similar foot shape. I have a narrow heal, very high arch and a wide forefoot. I have to wear the wide Lowa's due to my wide forefoot. My first pair of Tibets were size 10 1/2 M and when I realized they were too narrow I bought some 10 1/2 Wide and wore them for a couple years until I decided the right one was a little too short (my right foot is bigger than my left). I then bought a pair of 11 Wide and they fit me well.

I know that this is a Lowa boot thread but last year I bought the Han Wag Alaska in 11 Wide looking to try an alternative to the Tibet. I also put Lathrop & Sons insoles in the Han Wags. The Han Wags actually fit my feet better than the Tibets and I like them better. I was wondering if you have tried Han Wags?

07-Mar-17
Yes Mike, I've owned four different models of HanWags. (Alaskans, Trappers, Mountain Lites and the hikers from Lathrop) Nice boots, but Lowas fit me better. To me the Tibets fit a hair different than the rest of Lowas.

Mike...Our foot shape is "eerily" similar. My right foot is also larger than my left, wide forefoot, high arch and narrow heel. However, wides are often a hair too wide for me. Regular width usually works unless the boot runs narrow. Every model of Lowa fits me like a custom boot with the exception of the Tibet. My regular size (12) hits the end of the boot on the right foot and a 13 is too big. Every other Lowa boot in a size 12 is PERFECT for me.

My boot stable is now full with Lowa's and I doubt I will EVER need another pair of boots as long as I'm able to hunt. Once you find something that really works, stick with it, buy multiple pairs. A couple years ago, I went in search of the perfect mountain boot, and after 20 some pair of mountain boots, I found the Lowa Bighorn. I bought two pair.

07-Mar-17
Crispi all the way!

16-Mar-17
I wear a 10.5 in cowboy boots and dress shoes. My Lowa GTX size is an 11.5. Hope this helps someone in the market.

17-Mar-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
$210 shipped from shoebuy.com!

17-Mar-17
I need another pair of boots like I need a hole in my head but it would be nice to have a boot that was a compromise between the Renegade and the Tibet/Han wag Alaska. Might just have to pick some up...

17-Mar-17
Lowa Renegade for mild terrain and/or hiking on the trail.

Lowa Tibet for the steep, nasty stuff and/or with a heavy pack

17-Mar-17
I've put some time in with the Caminos and I'm impressed. Less stiff than the Rangers, but more boot than the Ranger but stiff enough to wear in the mountains, if that makes sense. Way more boot than the Renegade. I like them and if I had to choose between my beloved Rangers and the Caminos, I'd pick the Caminos.

17-Mar-17
Nick, yur gonna like em. =D

Perfect mountain boot for anything less than extreme alpine hunts IMO. Hunt in em, pack in em..... great boots.

18-Mar-17
Thanks, Tom....looking forward to putting some miles on them. :-)

18-Mar-17
I wore my Lowa Hunter's for several years and wore the tread off the soles. I sent them back to the factory to get them re-soled last year. It takes a while, but for $85 they replace everything but the leather uppers and they look like a new pair of boots.

19-Mar-17
KUIU is doing a 25% off sale on the Scarpa Charmoz Pro GTX boots at the moment. I know nothing about these. Perhaps someone can chime-in.

19-Mar-17
kscowboy, I was seeing these popping up on sale elsewhere.....Sierra Trading Post has them for $200.

19-Mar-17
Cheesehead Mike, I have both Renegades and Tibets. THE best compromise boot between the 2 for me has been Scarpa Kailash. They are stiffer and offer more padding than my Renegades and work fantastic on steep slopes. They aren't near as tall on the ankles as my Tibets and are a chunk lighter weight than my Tibets. They are so comfortable that I wear them every day at work (field work). I use and abuse them and they hold up a lot better than my Renegades. I have used my Scarpas on the last 2 sheep and 2 mtn goat hunts in Alaska....and left my Renegades and Tibets at home. The only time I use my Tibets any more is in deep snow because they are taller and keep deep snow out better.

21-Mar-17
Thanks jims.

21-Mar-17
Personally I would love to get 4-5 years of waterproof from my tibets of renegades. They fit me better than at least 6 other good brand boots. But I've had no boot last that long and remain water proof. I might wear them 3-6 times a week from march til Christmas though...

21-Mar-17
I like room in my boots...especially at the toe end. My Scarpas seem like they have just as much room as any of my Lowas. I generally buy boots 1/2 to 1 size bigger so I can add a fairly thick pair of insoles and also have room for wearing socks (such as Therlos) that have padding in the bottom of the socks. If you live near a major boot supplier possibly try a few boots on to give you a feel for size and the style that fits your feet the best.

21-Mar-17
trust me if I had access I'd go straight to the horses mouth. Just gonna keep my eyes open in the mean time.

22-Mar-17
A good Cobbler can get rid of the rub you guys are talking about. I have to have almost every boot/ shoe I buy stretched at my little toe area. I have a word document on boot care if you want a copy, PM me your email address. It works great for leather water proof boots. It has never failed me, my boots are water proof!

Scar.

26-Mar-17
Hmm..... Reading this thread might cost me some money. Shoe buy has 30% off for 48 hours, been looking at Crispi boots, now looking at the Lowa Camino's. Ah, decisions......

26-Mar-17
Wow. That's an awesome deal

26-Mar-17
Another great option for great prices on boots is Sierra Trading. They often have coupon codes for 20 to 30% off their already great prices. It's just a matter of keeping tabs of what brands and sizes they have.

27-Mar-17
Curious if anyone has bought the new Lathrop & Sons Hunter Elite Boots ?

27-Mar-17
TK, I don't think those boots are out there yet. Pre-order only.

27-Mar-17
I love my Tibet GTX especially with a heavy load in steep terrain.

That said, elk occupy lots of terrain where the GTX would be to much boot.

27-Mar-17
Tried on a pair of Lowa today at REI. The 11.5 fit nice for length and width up front. But no matter how I laced them up I had too much slop in the heel. Back to my old standbys....Asolo 530's.

27-Mar-17
Well I just picked up a pair of Caminos from Shoebuy got 30 percent off today. Also if your a member of Ebates (free) you get another 10 percent back from them. 40 percent off, gonna give them a shot.

28-Mar-17
Didnt read all of this but LOWA are the BEST!

03-Apr-17
I love my Tibets but my feet got fat along with the rest of me and they now bind my big toes. So I'm taking a chance on $159 Asolo Scafell Goretex Boots from STP. Great reviews so I am cautiously optimistic that 1/2 price can still be quality.

03-Apr-17
$99 for Lowa Renegades is a killer deal. I have been wearing Scarpas but found another killer deal on Campsaver for 20% + 20% off several Lowas. I got a pair of Lowa Vantage GTX for $107 (regular $250). Hopefully they are as good as some of the reviews. There are plenty of great deals if you shop around.

04-Apr-17
Never seen the vantage, they look good. Let us know what you think when they hit your doorstep.

04-Apr-17
Boots leak....??? get rubber socks.

05-Apr-17
Love my Renegades!

08-Apr-17
Wow.....got my Asolo Scafell Goretex Boots from STP.....for $159 I figured if they weren't a replacement for the Lowas they were good for knocking around town. These are the best fitting boots outta the box I've ever put on my feet. Taking them out turkey hunting tomorrow in the foothills. I hope I still love them after.

09-Apr-17
Just returned from turkey hunting and opened the box of new Vantages. My first impression is they are very light weight. Similar to other Lowa's...excellent construction. They seem to have plenty of room in the toe end. They have a double-stitched and reinforced outer toe that usually is where my boots get beat up by rocks and seams start coming apart in some of my other boots. I bet they hold up better than some of the others I've used and abused. For $107 I don't think you could go wrong!

I wore my Scarpa Kailash on yesterday's turkey hunt and they were nice but I'm anxious to put in new set of cushioned insoles and try out the Vantage. I'll let you know on Monday when I head back after another bird!

09-Apr-17
Only ones I see for $107 are size 14.

09-Apr-17
There were a lot more sizes available when I bought mine so they must have gone fast!

• Sitka Gear