MarkU 01-Mar-17
Stikboman 01-Mar-17
Stikboman 01-Mar-17
Franzen 02-Mar-17
Stikboman 02-Mar-17
Bohunner 02-Mar-17
JLS 03-Mar-17
27-Feb-17
Hello all, looking for any advice that anyone is willing to divulge on back pack hunting for elk in or around the Lemhi zone in Idaho. This will be my 1st backpack trip and also 1st elk trip. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated.

27-Feb-17
Be patient and call sparingly. I hunt South of there and the bulls are very call shy due to pressure.

Might be bears up there so camp smart.

27-Feb-17
Stikboman- Make sure you are prepared. If this is really your first backpack trip AND first elk trip I would consider doing a car camp hunt. Or try and get a backpack trip in before the hunt so you can get a feel for what it's gonna take. NOT trying to talk you down but thats a lot of firsts in one go. Good luck to ya either way.

27-Feb-17
If your fortunate enough to bag a great bull don't show any pics of it on BS because you will get torn up from the jealousy crowd. Other than that enjoy the hunt and hope you score.

27-Feb-17
If your fortunate enough to bag a great bull don't show any pics of it on BS because you will get torn up from the jealousy crowd. Other than that enjoy the hunt and hope you score.

28-Feb-17
I have never hunted that particular area but have bow elk hunted many years in Idaho.

Don't get all caught up with 'distance' as many elk are harvested not far from the truck! Expect company, mid-week not so much but wknds for sure....

Have an exit plan if ya harvest or if ya get feeling overwhelmed-----being honest with yourself is a hell of a lot smarter/safer.

Are ya solo hunting?

Good luck, Robb

28-Feb-17
Stic.im doing the same first elk hunt in Idaho in 18,, but a different area.as a few vets have suggested,I'm doing the truck camp setup,what the fellas says to a lot to peg down in a new game.im traveling 36 or so hrs one way.so being ultra prepared is the key..I see it as ,I can concentrate on foucusing on hunting more so than ,being wigged out because of 4 straight bad storms,or waking to a large furry tent buddy.... Don't get me wrong a more back country trip is after this one,,,but if the truck camp setup works great,my momma didn't raise a fool....Lol ??

28-Feb-17
Don't worry about killing an elk. If that's all you focus on you will get frustrated quick and likely miss opportunities or leave early. I've seen more guys leave early because they aren't seeing or killing animals fast enough.

Focus on finding animals/sign. Make sure your feet stay healthy and you have stuff to take care of them. Slow down and listen. Watch the wind.

Take breaks - hunting 24/7 will whoop you faster than you realize.

If you aren't into tons of elk shoot the first one you can - big bulls are nice but unless you are a huge horn guy or mount everything that walks, shooting an animal and enjoying the process will be much more rewarding.

Definitely get a deer/bear tag if you can (or don't mind the distraction).

Bring a journal or a device so you can write/keep notes on what worked and what didn't - plus it's fun to go back and read.

Good luck!

28-Feb-17
Some great advice. I hunted ID last year for the first time. (Not in Lemhi) Steepest country I have hunted for elk. Unrelenting. Now with that being said, we have been in your shoes. For those who have backpack hunted, everyone has a first time. Plenty of threads to search on Bowsite. I can tell you do this, don't do that, use this gear, don't use that, etc. If you don't have the right attitude, none of the advice will matter. If you are solo, you must understand that EVERYTHING is your responsibility. Getting water, getting enough sleep, finding fresh sign, hauling out an animal, your safety, etc. It is hard, but have a plan for every aspect of the hunt. What are you going to do if it has rained for 3 days, everything is soaked and you haven't seen an elk? (I know I haven't always made the right decision!) If you are not a planner, maybe start with truck hunting as a base camp. First elk hunt as a backpack hunt is a leap. (That is how I started, so don't let anyone tell you no). It sowed the seeds for my passion to elk hunt. But it isn't for everyone.

Sage is spot on w/journal. I have done this with every elk hunt I done. Great to read and reflect.

28-Feb-17
First time out: I would spend a night trying to find a good drainage and listen for Elk. Daylight climb to your best vantage point and glass. I look at three days of scouting a new area before I even think of getting a chance to hunt an ELK. Shoot the first legal animal you can and be happy with that. Big bulls will come along eventually if you stick at it long enough. They do not show all the tough stuff on TV so do not expect it to be that easy. If I was to start all over again going back I would have hired a guide for the first few Elk hunts as I am a Kansas boy who doesn't live in typical Elk country. If you do not live where you can observe them year around and scout all summer you can accelerate your learning curve by hiring a guide the first few years.

28-Feb-17
Start right now figuring how to add some more days to your hunt.

28-Feb-17
I will keep it simple...pack the stuff you have a just go. It seems now a days guys are procrastinating about gear and places and skip hunting. Sometimes you need to just get your boots on the ground. Trust me you will live.

28-Feb-17
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I won't be going alone. It will be myself and a lifelong friend/hunting partner. We are both 29, turning 30 this fall each, and have become addicted with western hunting. So far all I have done is muleys, still waiting for the first connection but can't wait for our trip every year. We both have been non-stop with reading and video watching trying to soak up all the knowledge possible. Took my pack frame to the gym the other night and got some interesting looks from the folks here in northern wisconsin. I would like to see us both shoot an elk, not going to be too fussy, but if we dont even see an elk i am certain we will have a blast. Planning for this trip has already consumed the past two months of free time. Thanks again everyone.

28-Feb-17
Trial153, no procrastinating here. I think I have gone through my gear about 20 times already. I am a sleeping pad and compression sack away from packing my bag and heading out right now. I don't if I can make it to September.

28-Feb-17
Shot some wolves.

28-Feb-17
Weigh your pack. You will be surprised about what you can cut

28-Feb-17
Stikboman, great to hear. You will have a great time.

28-Feb-17
Sage Buffalo, I agree with your thoughts. I figure its gonna be about 20 hr drive one way so we are definitely gonna put in the effort and try to bring something back. We are planning on at least one deer tag between the two of us. I have a feeling the experience is going to be way more important than the hunt itself. Planning on taking a pile of pictures and just enjoying it.

28-Feb-17
Glunt, best I can do is 10 days. 20 hr drive each way and limited on available days of vacation. Worst case I spend a bunch of time hiking in beautiful country with a lifelong friend soaking in everything God has to offer.

28-Feb-17
I am not a huge fan of wolves living here in WI and would be glad to assist with the issue any way I can in ID. As far as pack weight, I am currently at 70 lbs with bow for the trip in. I don't really know what to take out at this point. This has food for 10 days and 4 bottles of water for the walk in. I followed advice I found online about making a spreadsheet and weighing everything out, that process has been on-going for the past 2 months also. There is currently a box of crap sitting in my living room that I randomly take out, look at, weigh, play with to an extent.

28-Feb-17
Stik- First thing I would do is pare down to 1or 2 bottles of water. You are likely going to have a water filer/treatment anyway. Only water you need to pack is for hike in. (And if you have creeks you cross, it is definitely down to one bottle)

28-Feb-17
What type of terrain should we be looking for? Are the elk gonna be up on top in the open meadows, down in the thick dark timber bottoms, in between or all the above? Right now we have been focusing on high glassing points and meadows that are more on top? That leads to another question, camp location. Do you camp up high and hunt down or camp midway and go either direction in the mornings or stay low out of site and hike up each morning?

28-Feb-17
Currently we are also planning on taking a 2 piece fishing rod along, do these little streams have trout in them or would it be a waste of time and weight? This first time out is more of an experience trip than a "gotta kill" type elk hunt. We will hunt hard but are also gonna enjoy ourselves.

28-Feb-17
Stik. Elk country is big. Elk need a few basic things, feed, water, security. You might find that X miles in, or you can find it just over a ridge off of the main road. Elk are grazers, but that feed can be miles from security cover.

Don't take this harshly, but when I elk hunt I am there to elk hunt. Does that mean I hunt every minute if every day, no. There always seems to have some down time. I get a mid day nap in. I can fish when I at home. If I want to camp, I will go with my family. That is another reason why I only have one tag in my pocket, elk. If you kill an elk, your next responsibility is to take care of the meat and help your buddy kill.

01-Mar-17
I always take a rod but rarely, if ever end up using it. I would suggest that you take a few amenities with you that would make a car base camp more comfortable in the event that you completely abort the backpack plan. One year I left my wall tent and stove at home in lieu of exclusive backpacking gear. It rained and snowed for four days straight. I would have paid a LOT of money to have had that stuff with me. Heck, even my stove and a rain fly would have been amazing.

Upgrade your gear where you feasibly can, but don't lose sleep over it. It just means you'll need to go a little slower and take a few more breaks. More importantly, work on your conditioning and your leg strength. Squats, walking lunges, deadlifts, etc should be a core component of your workout routine. Do step ups onto a bench instead of walking on a treadmill or a Stairmaster. Wear a 35-40 pound pack while doing so. See how many steps you can crank out if 45-60 minutes.

Last bit of advice. Take a camera. Use it. A lot. A 9 day trip should equate to around 1-200 photos in my estimation. Less than that and you didn't do yourself justice.

Have fun, and good luck.

01-Mar-17
Some mistakes from my first elk trip, just a quick synopsis because I don't much time:

Take lots of pictures. Just soak it all in.

Climb steep mountains to get in shape, there is no gym substitute.

Learn how to hunt elk from a comfortable camp unless you are an experienced backpacker. Learning both on the fly is biting off too much. Backpacking in deep to find more elk is a romanticized fallacy in most places.

Learn elk behavior, which includes calling but that's just a tiny part of it.

Get in front of elk to cut them off, don't chase them.

Have a plan A, B, C, D. Be ready for anything Ma Nature can throw at you weather wise.

If you kill something, tell everyone you were in Colorado. Nothin wrong with a little white lie to preserve ID's solitude!

Give us a hunt recap and pay it forward with advice from your first hunt, that's every beginners fee for advice.

Good luck!

01-Mar-17
I will rework my spreadsheet with more details and post it. I have no problem with critiques. I like rhe idea of leaving the rod at the truck until at least 1 tag is full.

01-Mar-17
Another question, and I think I already know the answer. I currently shoot feathers, planning on switching to vanes for this hunt, might even shoot those stupid Blazers. I would assume that's the right choice when you don't have a decent way to dry things out.

01-Mar-17
Stik. I shoot feathers also. I treat them. Use that powder stuff. I also have used the spray that you use to treat dry flies. They fly just fine.

01-Mar-17
I would forget the fishing rod, or leave it at the truck like recommended above. You need to lose some weight off that 70 lbs if you are going to plan the backpack hunt, imo. There are guys that do those type of hunts on 40ish lbs. You probably don't have the lightest gear so that may not be doable, but I'm guessing you have some non-essentials in the pack list.

Another possibility is that the food you are taking is not what most here would typically take on a backpack hunt. Lots of research to be had, but most here typically utilize Mountain House meals (or similar) heavily when backpacking. They are simple, somewhat tasty, and lightweight. I agree with losing the majority of your water for the pack in. I would plan on having a water supply (need to verify of course) that you can replenish as needed. Bottles are a pain also. Just remember, you have to pack out everything you packed in, and hopefully more!

Why not go synthetic feathers? Maybe I am confused as to the issue you are referring to.

01-Mar-17
I just have never been fond of vanes. Always liked my feathers. I hope someone can find some stuff in my list that I can cut cuz I can't seem to find anything to get rid of. 69 lbs right now with 4 lbs of water, 13.3 lbs of food and 7 lbs of a bow and arrows.

01-Mar-17
Don't remember if I mentioned it but this will be 10 days so I planned on hauling all my food in the 1st day. I think I have it up to 2600 or so cal per day and an average of 1.3 lbs. Trying to follow the 100 cal/oz rule

01-Mar-17
I did a 10 day trip at 64 lbs, and that was carrying 100 oz. of water from the trailhead. Your food weight isn't bad given the number of days.

When planning your trip, don't just focus on miles. Elevation gain, grade of the trail, are big considerations in how far you can/should go.

01-Mar-17
JLS made a great point......Not all miles are equal. Trail miles are much easier than some of the steep terrain of Idaho, especially areas with lots of blown down trees. I also consider the forecasted temperature. Not so much for myself, but for meat care and how many trips it will take to carry an elk out. Another suggestion would be to map out a game plan and then call the biologist and see what they think of your plan.

01-Mar-17
The gap is probably closer than I originally thought with your bow weight in there. I didn't catch that at first glance. Still, the only difference between a 3 day hunt and a 10 day hunt is 9 lbs of food in your case.

Btw, if you are built and in shape for the 70-lb hike in, you don't necessarily need to worry about my advice. That is simply what I would be thinking if I was contemplating a 63 lb. pack. I would be looking at getting it down to 50 or at least mid-50s.

01-Mar-17
I wouldn't backpack anywhere in that unit until you found out where the elk are. Going in blind is a waste of time.

The unit is conducive to camping off of the roads and staying mobile.

01-Mar-17
Gear to Base Wt (lbs) Eberlestock Blue Widow w/ padded pouch and butt bucket 9.5 Kelty Cosmic Down 20 Deg Bag 3.4 StS Ultralight Insulated Sleeping Pad 1.2 Bag Liner 0.6 Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 3.8 Food 13.30 Fish Mix/Seasoning - for grouse, trout, elk 0.60 16 oz. veg. oil - for grouse, trout, elk 1 Jet Boil w/extra fuel x 3 2.1 Cabela's Rain Suede Top and Bottom 3.6 Core4 Prima Loft Jacket 1.2 Underwear (2) 0.26 Extra Socks (2) 0.3 Long Johns (2) - merino blend top and bottom 2.4 Extra Shirts (longsleeve and T) - longsleeve merino and synthetic T 1.3 Cabela's Polartec Hooded Sweatshirt 1.3 Black Ovis XL game bags, Havalon, Buck 110 Folding Hunter, Leatherman Blast 3 2 Eberlestock 2L Water bladders 1.2 Water 4 bottles 4 Bow, Quiver, 6 arrows 6.4 Leupold RX650 Rangefinder 0.6 headlamps (2) 0.5 gps, compass, maps, batteries 1.5 fish pole and tackle 1 medical/personal/bow kit 1.3 survival kit 0.6 Tarp and Rope 0.9 Filet Knife 0.2 Coffee Cup 0.75 Reliance 2.5 gal Colapsible Water Jug 0.8 Total 68.61

01-Mar-17
Folgers Coffee Packets Oatmeal, Powd Milk, br. sug (40 gr Oat/12 gr milk/12 gr sugar) Justin's Butter Nature Valley Granola Bar Idahoan Potatoes Clif Bars - Chocolate Chip Great Value Trail Mix (8 tbs. per day) Mountain House - Chili Mac (3 serv) 230 cal/serv (54 gr) Mountain House - Beef Stroganoff (3 serv) 260 cal/serv (52 gr) Snickers Bar

Plan would be to alternate mountain house meals from day to day. One day is 2732 cal and the other is 2642 cal.

02-Mar-17
Uh, yeah, I would whittle that down if I were you.

Why bring the water bottles if you have the bladder, and bringing a water jug too?

No need for 3 knives and a leatherman.

I wouldn't bring two full sets of long johns AND two extra shirts.

Maybe swap out that rain suede for some lighter rain gear if you can swing it.

Seasoning mix and vegetable oil? I wouldn't bother on a backpack hunt. If a must, you could certainly bring a little less oil.

I feel like your list is a little more geared to a relaxing camping trip than a backpack hunt. Don't get me wrong, if that is what you are looking for, then by all means go for it. You will have a great time I'm sure.

02-Mar-17
Bottles would be for Gatorade or something along those lines. Water bladder would be just for drinking water and food water. Water jug would be for at camp because we have 2 people using a gravity filter system.

The seasoning, oil and filter knife could be left at the truck with the fish pole.

Sticking with the rain gear. Little heavy but I am gonna have enough stuck into new gear for this trip already(GPS and chip, sleeping pad, pants and shirts, tag)

No concern with getting wet and not having another shirt/long johns? Plan was to have a second set mostly for sleeping to keep bag clean but then also be a backup if I did get soaked.

But easily 6-8 lbs right off the top? Easily can be done. Thanks for the advice.

02-Mar-17

Bohunner's embedded Photo
Bohunner's embedded Photo
On the pressured or call shy elk I agree to less calling but try to use more non-vocal elk sounds. Thumping the ground and breaking sticks with very little light calling is often convincing on pressured elk. Practice shooting quickly, holding the draw and shooting from odd angles etc. so when you get your shot you make it count.

03-Mar-17
If you have wool and/or synthetics there is no need to take two sets of long johns and two shirts. If they are soaked, build a fire and dry out.

Throw out that 5 lb Buck knife, the filet knife, the extra headlamp.

I wear a t-shirt, and then take layers. A 1/4 zip wool top, a 1/4 zip Sitka Travers, a vest, a puff, and a softshell. One set of long john bottoms, one set (that I'm wearing) of Ex Officio boxers.

I would take the seasoning and oil for grouse.

• Sitka Gear